Sink board invention - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2016, 05:37 PM   #1
GRF

Name: Gary
Trailer: Casita--Independence Standard
Missouri
Sink board invention

I was finding the kitchen working space in our Casita Independence too limited. So I designed a sink tray that allows for water to pass through while it's in place, hot pans to sit on it and functionality as a tray to take things outside.

I wrote it up on my blog and included the link. (There is a second blog entry that updates on the leveling feet). I don't make any money on this invention-- just sharing because it works so well for us.

https://zenandtheartoflittlehousetra...new-invention/
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpeg  
GRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:39 AM   #2

Name: BJ
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21' Formerly 2015 Escape 19'
Wisconsin
sink tray solution

Thank you so much. I am living in my Escape 19 for the first time over the summer as I work at a National Park. Kitchen space and the sink in the middle which most of the time is in the way, was presenting a problem. My solution, which was not a solution, was to have my husband cut a board that half covered the sink so I could use the space and access water if needed. Your idea is great. can you give me more specifics on how to order one?
bjsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:21 AM   #3

Name: Vince
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
That's a great idea. Very clever.
VB_in_BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:24 AM   #4
GRF

Missouri
Yes, all the information on the blog. The link is in the text. Follow the blog, because there are a lot more inventions coming. One is a bed making solution.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:24 AM   #5
GRF

Missouri
Thanks. Follow the blog. I am writing up my newest invention on making the bed easier.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:44 AM   #6

Name: Mark
Trailer: 13' Boler
British Columbia
Registry
Neat!
A tray is always a must in a trailer, at the moment I've got an upside down rectangle wicker basket that fits over the stove elements.

Your design is great.
fofobraselio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:56 AM   #7

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 2013 19 ft
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRF View Post
I was finding the kitchen working space in our Casita Independence too limited. So I designed a sink tray that allows for water to pass through while it's in place, hot pans to sit on it and functionality as a tray to take things outside.

I wrote it up on my blog and included the link. (There is a second blog entry that updates on the leveling feet). I don't make any money on this invention-- just sharing because it works so well for us.

https://zenandtheartoflittlehousetra...new-invention/
Could you tell us where you purchased the grey grate ? Pat
LindaandPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 10:12 AM   #8
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Wow, Gary! That's beautiful.

And I love that you fixed it with handles so it's a tray.

Multi-purpose.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 10:16 AM   #9
GRF

Missouri
That is a detail I lost in my foggy head. I was sick when I came up with the idea and I sent the catalog page to Snowy Creek and they ordered it for me so I wouldn't have to pay shipping twice. They will know.
Old 06-01-2016, 10:26 AM   #10

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
What a "grate" idea! The folks at Etsy have designed a beautiful tray/sink cover and I appreciate that you shared your design with them so others can benefit. What a great/grate Father's Day gift to an RV owner!

While my DH built a wood insert for our sink your idea got me to thinking...I believe I can place my 10 1/2" square cooling rack over my sink to serve a similar purpose. I also have a toaster oven cooking rack that is 10" x 12". Perhaps this plastic-coated sink protector (www.wdrake.com) will work. Next time I go to my 13' Scamp trailer I'll see if any options fit my sink.

Keep those ideas coming. I can hardly wait to see your bedding idea. Please feel free to check out my bedding posts by searching "Gilda bedding" on this FGRV forum.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 06:30 AM   #11

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
I don't have the nice wood surface you do so I just trimmed a replacement grill tray to length. Then, using stainless "fender" washers (2 for each bolt, one on the top of the grate and one under the grate) and a stainless nylock bolt to pinch the bolt in position and to extend slightly down into the sink. I trimmed the bolt length to match the length of those plastic thread protectors which I slid over the exposed thread and positioned the bolts to snugly fit into the sink opening. Has worked well for over ten years.
Attached Thumbnails
SinkTray.JPG  
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 09:45 PM   #12

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Very nice Steve!
I can't believe it...today I saw the Roll-Up Drying Rack in the "Make Life Easier"catalog at my mother's home. MAKE LIFE EASIER: Values in functional necessities.

Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 02:23 PM   #13

Name: carolyn
Trailer: 2005 casita sd
Michigan
We just bought a cheap wire basket with handles at Home Depot for the same purpose. We use it as a tray to carry items out to the table outside too.
Looking forward to seeing how the folks make the bed. It is the hardest thing about living in the Casita. We made a fitted sheet for the bottom but the bedding always looks very messy bumped up against the stove side and back of the little table bench.
garycarolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 02:41 PM   #14
GRF

Missouri
.bed

Follow the blog--I have a hard time keeping up with the Blog, Facebook Casita Divas and the forums.

I had hoped to get the bed stuff and one trip written up last week but a nasty head and chest cold has me down for a while.

Thanks for reading!
Old 06-05-2016, 05:09 PM   #15

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
trays are good....

trays are good...and needed!.....call this one the "counter extension tray"

added a strategically placed aluminium support piece (that doubles as an extra dish towel rack when needed)....and a bungy cord to hold the thing against the wall for travel.....(deploying/stowing is a one hand operation)

another little annoyance solved was a quick and easy "catch-all" table near the door (got tired of looking all over the campsite for the little items I take outside)

happy motoring....
Attached Thumbnails
kitchend.jpg   kitchenc.jpg  

kitchenb.jpg   outable3.jpg  

outable4.jpg  
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 05:35 PM   #16
GRF

Missouri
Outside board.

We don't have that kind of door handle but I applaud that kind of ingenuity! It's so true about needing a space/table by the door for the collection of things that need to go in on that one last trip each night.