Sink drain valve - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2006, 09:55 PM   #21

Trailer: 1972 Boler 13 ft
Loren,

Our pan slides completely under the trailer. Unless you bend way over to look under you would never see it.
Barbara Gardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 11:04 PM   #22

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
This is an interesting subject. I have no grey water tank, and we have gone tent camping for years. We always did dishes and tossed the dish water in the weeds, woods or whereever. I never thought anything of it.
Now I guess I have to change my ways, get a container and dump my dish water in the outhouse or haul it to the dumping station. OR----------maybe I need to look for a new trailer with a grey water tank.
I thought it was always proper to dump the dish water in the weeds next to the camp site.
We have only done primative camping, but It sounds like I need to change my ways now that I have a Scamp. ( I will be buying more paper plates, plastic silverware, etc so not having much dishwater).

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 06:16 PM   #23

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
Searched ebay for a suitable hand-carry-able large jug to connect as an onboard grey water tank under sink. Some very nice military style containers are available but shipping costs would double the price. So, before making a commitment, I went over to (where else, eh?) Walmart. Found a 6 gallon plastic can there for about $6.beans and this is now my grey water holding tank, as seen in picture. I was guessing the thing was made in China but after looking closely - how about that - made in Canada! Perfect.
Attached Thumbnails
Waterdrain.jpg  
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 10:39 PM   #24

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Concerning dumping grey water in the weeds, flowers, grass, garden or whatever. Many soils, especially fine sands can benefit from a 'wetting agent' to reduce 'surface tension'.

What this means is that water applied to dry soil often doesn't soak in. I just slightly wets the surface, then runs off. Grey water contains some detergent, an excellent wetting agent, and small food particles, bacteria, etc. So I would think a little grey water applied in any month except April would make the April showers better soak in to produce the May flowers.

Of course, just like medicine, a little will produce a cure, but a lot might kill you.

So if I catch you anointing the flower beds with a little grey water, I won't tell!
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 10:03 PM   #25

Trailer: 1994 Lil Bigfoot and 1967 Traveleze Royal Traveler
So Myron, how did you handle the drainage from your blue-grey water tank? Did you rig a valve, or are you thinking to just unscrew it and tote it to a dump point?
Old 02-13-2006, 06:34 PM   #26

New Mexico
Registry
Finally, a decent snowfall! Dug my way out to the buried egg today to check on that new graywater system of mine. By the way someone just told me I am spelling it wrong. It should be gray water, she says. The "e" is British usage, so I am told. Well excuuuse me! I wasn't an English major. Then she says I should have checked what's written on my gray crayolas if I was unsure of the spelling.

But I digress. Dave, when searching for the right graywater storage container a prime consideration was ease of portability and space management. It had to have a handle and I think 6 gallon capacity makes about the maximum weight for me to be lugging over to a disposal station. It unscrews from the drain hose easy and takes up almost no room under the sink. No holes, no valves, and so far, no pain.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:23 PM   #27

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
Hi Myron, is there a vent cap on that container of yours that you can open a bit to let air out of the container when grey water is running into it? .....without that you`ll probably get gurgling as the air tries to escape up the drain hose from the sink......also if you have a vent you`ll have to be careful not to overfill the container unless you can come up with a floating ball check to shut the vent if the water gets too high.....also don`t get too hung up on the "gray" as opposed to "grey"....I did a search on the web for grey water and all the sites came back as grey, not gray.......try it! ...Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 07:42 AM   #28

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
We'll pretend you're one of us Canucks', Myron;
just remember it's also labour and colour,
and fibreglass,
and roof is pronounced "ooof", like when you get hit in the stomach
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 09:54 PM   #29

New Mexico
Registry
Is there a vent cap on the container ????? .....Mon, I 'tol you it was Canadian made, so of course there is a vent cap on the container. Looks kinda like a nipple.

By the way I just looked it up in Webster's Dictionary and the sole response to "grey" is... "a varient of gray."

My friend Al in Pittsburg pronounces it "ruff."
Old 02-15-2006, 11:06 AM   #30

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
Hi, the second part about the vent....does it have a shut off that`ll close the vent all by itself, so water can`t escape and run all over the floor, if you accidently overfill the container? Sometimes things happen....if it was outside the trailer it wouldn`t cause any damage, just overflow, but inside, it could possibly water damage something...just food for thought I suppose........Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 04:30 PM   #31

New Mexico
Registry
Uhhh.....I know what I'll do. I will put a ping pong ball inside the 6 gal jug. If the water ever gets that high it will float the ball up into the white nozzle (see pix) and clog it, so all additional water would back up in my sink, telling me the jug is full. Some drops of water might drip out of the nipple before that happens, but of course I will be watching out all along how much water we are using. Likely not that much. Barring unsupervised use by teenagers, or having a senior moment, this plan should prove foolproof.

Rube Goldberg roll over!
Old 07-10-2019, 01:22 AM   #32

Name: Jimmy
Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13ft
Texas
Sink drain catch container

I know this is an old thread but this is what I came up with. I have a 1982 Scamp with an outside sink drain like garden hose fitting. I ordered a 4 gal Reliance AQUA-TAINER from Wal-Mart online. It has a large cap with a hole in the center for a spigot. I went to Lowes and got a screw in hose fitting for the spigot hole. Found it near the lawn sprinkler parts in plumbing. Cut a length of hose and installed garden hose fittings. Problem solved, has screw on vent hole cap. Unhook and take to dump station when full.
Attached Thumbnails
Drain Catch Container.jpg   NMPT-FPT Fitting.jpg  

Jim Jam is offline   Reply With Quote