Sinks - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2012, 06:34 AM   #1

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Sinks

I had planned on changing my single stainless sink over to a double sink, however looking at several pictures on here of other campers I've noticed that not many other people do this. I did it in my Trillium and loved it. Has anyone else on here done that? I just think it is easier to have 2 sink bowels to wash dishes. Now I'm thinking maybe just leave it and use paper plates and not mess with using up that counter space. What do you think?
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:00 AM   #2

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Steve Hammel...At least in a Scamp 5th. you'd have enough room I'd think. The taps might be a little offset tho!!! Are the double bowl sinks for RV's much smaller bowls or just two of them???
Reminds me of a story about someone writing the word "Think" above a sink...and someone adding the word "Thoap" under it!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:23 AM   #3

Registry
My current sink is 15" wide and the one I'm looking at is 25" wide. I've done a ton of plumbing, etc, in my life so dealing with the traps, etc, doesn't faze me.
This is a pic of the one I want to put in, it is a light weight acrylic.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:30 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'd love to have a double sink in my Scamp. I've seen the one peterh put into his and Lynn's Scamp 5th wheel.

However, I would prefer one with a larger wash bowl and narrow rinse bowl, like this:
Attached Thumbnails
Double.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:41 AM   #5

Registry
Yes that would be optimal. The one I'm looking at is on ebay and really inexpensive. I usually find close to what I want and then make it work. There are a couple of ones similar to what you want but the acrylic is discolored a bit.

Hold the horses, this one just popped up and is 24 3/4 wide. $29.00
Old 10-21-2012, 07:55 AM   #6

Registry
Just bought and payed for $38.95 shipped. They have 4 more if anyones interested.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:37 AM   #7

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
I just think it is easier to have 2 sink bowels to wash dishes. Now I'm thinking maybe just leave it and use paper plates and not mess with using up that counter space. What do you think?
Be careful what you wish for...
Only a few trailers in our size class can pull off a double sink well. IMHO they are:
  • 16' and 19' Scamp; excluding side dinette models
  • 17' Burro
  • 17', 19', and 5.0 Escape
My 16' Fiber Stream has a factory installed double-bowl sink alongside a 3-burner range and zero counter space. My habit is to wash in the left and rinse in the right; but I have to reverse that in the trailer. The sink and stove covers plus the in-sink dish-drainer help the functionality of this crowded kitchen.
Attached Thumbnails
Kitchen.jpg   Kitchen Covers on.jpg  

Kitchen Covers.jpg  
Old 10-21-2012, 11:27 AM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I have to agree with Frederick, even though I have a Scamp 16' side bath I still dont think I would want a double sink as I dont feel the benefit of it would be worth giving up the counter space for. One of things I like about the layout is the extra counter space and its one of the things people more often than not comment on when they see the trailer and indicated that they wish they had more of. I would also be reluctant to put an acrylic sink in the trailer due to their tendency to mark up & stain a lot easier than a stainless steel. Cant tell you how many friends have pulled acrylic sinks out of their home kitchens and replaced with stainless due to that.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:54 PM   #9

Registry
The counter in the Scamp 19' where the sink is located is 34 1/2". The sink "rim" is mounted 2" to 3" from the left side where the closet is. I am going to reclaim that area as it is currently wasted space. Thus the sink will then extend 6" to 7" into the remaining 16" on the right side of the current sink leaving me approx 9" counter space. Not optimal but very doable. Plus I store a lot of counter type stuff in my sink while I travel.
These sinks are made for National RV who make a lot of different RVs. I have a very nice black acrylic in my house up in Spokane. It is 2 years old now and doesn't have a scratch. It was fairly high end for an acrylic at $300 and we're very careful not to gouge it as I'm sure it would only take once to ruin it. My house in Las Vegas has Stainless and needs to be changed as the water in Vegas is awful.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:10 PM   #10

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Yes that would be optimal. The one I'm looking at is on ebay and really inexpensive. I usually find close to what I want and then make it work. There are a couple of ones similar to what you want but the acrylic is discolored a bit.

Hold the horses, this one just popped up and is 24 3/4 wide. $29.00
Hi: Steve Hammel... Looks good to me. The tap offset looks good too. Time will tell tho. Let us have a looky when you're done.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:11 PM   #11

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
I think a double sink is desirable to some and not to others. It depends on one's preference. When we remodeled our home we installed a single deep and wide stainless steel sink which suits our purposes. It's especially nice when we entertain. We can fill the sink and soak dishes until we get to them. I should mention we have the advantage of having a dishwasher too.

In the 13' Scamp it's a totally different story. We have the standard white single sink. I do not know the sink's composition. Since I do want to keep it unblemished as long as possible I always use a plastic bin inside the sink when washing dishes or storing things in transit. Following is my protocol for washing dishes inside my trailer using minimal water and minimal space. This routine has come from many years of camping and backpacking. It is really a simple, fast process in spite of the number of steps. Supplies needed: eco-friendly liquid soap (Castille or Camp Soap is good), green "scrubee" cut into 1" square (toss it when done), 2 dishcloths (one on counter, one for drying) We find that blue paper towels found in car supply shops work well as dish washing cloths as they do not fall apart when wet.
1. Each person licks or wipes their messy plate. (This step is only allowed in camp and is not tolerated when at home.)
2. Heat water for first rinse (or use water from cooking pasta, etc.)
3. Clean with liquid soap and warm water. Rinse the cleanest dishes first such as cups and utensils, then clean the more soiled dishes leaving the pots and pans for last. You can pour soapy water from cups to utensils to pots and pans (use green scrubee) since the water gathers in the tub.
4. Empty the tub of used cleaning water.
5. Heat rinse water very hot since it is used for sanitizing. Note: some people might want to dip their dishes in a mild bleach water rinse.
6. Rinse dishes, etc. in the same order as for cleaning.
7. Place dishes on towel between sink and stove.
8. Dry dishes and put away.

Note: When doing dishes outdoors it is nice to have 2 dishpans. You can dry the dishes by putting each person's place setting (dish, cup and utensils) in a net ditty bag and hang to dry!
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:28 PM   #12

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
It was fairly high end for an acrylic at $300 and we're very careful not to gouge it as I'm sure it would only take once to ruin it. l.
Best advise I can give is not let the in-laws help with kitchen clean up after Christmas dinner, they may not be as careful
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:39 PM   #13
Commercial Member

Trailer: We have had all the brands at least once.
Bigfoot Trailers have double sinks.
Chuck
Deb & Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:51 PM   #14

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
At home the sink is mostly used to rinse off dishes before they go into the dishwasher. Double sink hardly worth the effort to install. In the trailer a technique that uses minimal water to wash what little dishes, pots, and pans used in employed. With thisi technique the sink catches the soapy water and routes it to the holding tank. Double sink, would be a negative.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:22 AM   #15

Registry
In the old days I carried a dishpan for washing and threw the soapy water outside. The sink was only used for rinsing.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:30 PM   #16
RLP

Name: Rick
Trailer: 72 Boler
British Columbia
Personally, I do all my dish washing in a large round plastic bowl outside. My single sink in the trailer is being used as a "catch all" for the various odds and ends, especially while in tow.
RLP is offline   Reply With Quote