Sleeping in our "new to us" 16 ft. Scamp delux? - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-05-2011, 07:36 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Name: Jodee
Trailer: Currently shopping
Washington
Posts: 3
Sleeping in our "new to us" 16 ft. Scamp delux?

So the main issue I find with our new toy is 2 people who love each other, but are used to a king sized bed, trying to sleep somewhat comfortably on the dinette/bed. Oh yeah, I forgot about the 15lb dog. Has anyone figured out ways to make more room?
__________________

__________________
Jodeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:22 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
honda03842's Avatar
 
Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Posts: 7,300
Sleeping

The bed was our major concern when we purchased our first small trailer. Honestly it has turned out to never be a problem. We now find that when we are in our normal bed at home we feel a lttle abandoned at night and inevitably creep closer to each other.

I admit we don't have a dog. I assume the dog has it's own space.

As we were preparing for small trailer travel I suggested to my wife that we needed to pretend we were 16 again when we craved to be close. It's amazing how that young teen is still hiding inside of all of us.

Safe and fun travels
__________________

__________________
Norm and Ginny

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:00 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Posts: 2,730
Norm; You are truely a Hopeful Romantic
__________________
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:02 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Virginia
Posts: 1,556
On the Escape forum they show a table extension into the walkway to let you lay long wise in the trailer. I think Floyd also has a picture of this mod set up for his Scamp 13. I am planning on making this mod on a 13 Scamp I am working on. The main problem I see is it will block of your furnace. The other option is to cut off your cabinets about 11" then you will have a 54" for a full bed.
Eddie
__________________
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:26 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Carol H's Avatar
 
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Posts: 11,731
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodeet View Post
So the main issue I find with our new toy is 2 people who love each other, but are used to a king sized bed, trying to sleep somewhat comfortably on the dinette/bed. Oh yeah, I forgot about the 15lb dog. Has anyone figured out ways to make more room?

Had the same issue but it was an 85lb dog! Ended up convincing him after many trips that the bottom bunk was his not the main bed.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:42 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Virginia
Posts: 1,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie longest View Post
on the escape forum they show a table extension into the walkway to let you lay long wise in the trailer. I think floyd also has a picture of this mod set up for his scamp 13. I am planning on making this mod on a 13 scamp i am working on. The main problem i see is it will block of your furnace. The other option is to cut off your cabinets about 11" then you will have a 54" for a full bed.
Eddie
from the escape forum.

Name:   isle bed.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  4.1 KB


Name:   isle bed 1.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  4.1 KB
__________________
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:18 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,046
Registry
Thanks eddie;
Here is a photo of ours in the extended position.
We used the original Scamp table with the leg shortened, placed it instead of the pedestal table to achieve the shown result.
It is a 54" bed to start with, but we thought we would just experiment and it sleeps very nicely and is easy to set up.
The first picture is the wraparound couch, the next two are the "king" bed made up,and the last is the normal bed for comparison.
Attached Thumbnails
scamp pictures 020.jpg   kingbed4.JPG  

kingbed 3.JPG   Eggy-Sue inside 004.jpg  

__________________
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:24 AM   #8
Min
Senior Member
 
Min's Avatar
 
Name: Gord
Trailer: Recently purchased an original 13' Trillium, that still needs a name!
British Columbia
Posts: 130
Registry
Since I will be traveling, almost always, by myself the rear bed/table area of my Trillium will be left as a bed all the time. It is more than sufficient for just myself.

I will be doing the reno to the front bench area though. Making it into a two seat dinette type of thing.

The extension looks interesting, but, the way that my trailer is, the extension would be really close to encroaching on the front grille of the heater.
__________________
Min is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:35 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,046
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min View Post
Since I will be traveling, almost always, by myself the rear bed/table area of my Trillium will be left as a bed all the time. It is more than sufficient for just myself.

I will be doing the reno to the front bench area though. Making it into a two seat dinette type of thing.

The extension looks interesting, but, the way that my trailer is, the extension would be really close to encroaching on the front grille of the heater.
Here are a couple of pictures of an unfinished front dinette conversion which we did on a 1977 Trillium 13fter...
Also one of the permanent bed. Unfortunately I have no finished pictures since I sold the trailer before it was done.
Attached Thumbnails
trillium unfinished 017.jpg   trillium unfinished 018.jpg  

trillium unfinished 030.jpg   trillium unfinished 031.jpg  

trillium unfinished 024.jpg  
__________________
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 11:15 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Mike Magee's Avatar
 
Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Posts: 5,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
The bed was our major concern when we purchased our first small trailer. Honestly it has turned out to never be a problem. We now find that when we are in our normal bed at home we feel a lttle abandoned at night and inevitably creep closer to each other.

I admit we don't have a dog. I assume the dog has it's own space.

As we were preparing for small trailer travel I suggested to my wife that we needed to pretend we were 16 again when we craved to be close. It's amazing how that young teen is still hiding inside of all of us.

Safe and fun travels
Not all of us; I love my wife, but she simply has none of that "young teen" hiding inside her any more... unfortunately!
__________________
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 12:00 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Name: Rene
Trailer: Bigfoot 2500 truck camper
British Columbia
Posts: 233
We have the same issue with our boler 17. We have never enjoyed a double bed as we have a queen at home. The bed is the only thing keeping our trailer from being perfect. An extension would either block the furnace which is used alot or the bathroom door.
The only hope I can see is if we use the dinette bed as well as the rear gaucho. We want the table set up most of the time when we are on the move or in cool weather. If we were set up in one place for a while we could consider setting up the dining bed full time while we ate outside in good weather. I fear we will have to eventually find a FG trailer with a bigger bed. Not sure which models qualify yet.
__________________
Rene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 12:53 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Byron Kinnaman's Avatar
 
Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Posts: 6,308
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Thanks eddie;
Here is a photo of ours in the extended position.
We used the original Scamp table with the leg shortened, placed it instead of the pedestal table to achieve the shown result.
It is a 54" bed to start with, but we thought we would just experiment and it sleeps very nicely and is easy to set up.
The first picture is the wraparound couch, the next two are the "king" bed made up,and the last is the normal bed for comparison.
Kind of difficult to use the furnace at night, aint it?
__________________
Byron & Anne enjoying the everyday Saturday thing.
Byron Kinnaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 01:06 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,046
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Kind of difficult to use the furnace at night, aint it?
Not really, we have a heat strip in that useless A/C!
We have the 54" bed and really have no need for the "king" conversion.
The extension was just an exercise in what can be done... and it works very well.
If I were to use it regularly I would simply use the regular bed on those rare nights when I both have no shore power and it is cold enough to need the furnace.

The conversion would be ideal for a Scamp Standard with no furnace or in temperate weather.
__________________
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 04:31 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Jane P.'s Avatar
 
Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Posts: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Kind of difficult to use the furnace at night, aint it?
That's why it pays to be 16 again!
__________________

__________________
'92 Bigfoot 19' | '07 Chevy Tahoe
Jane P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
scamp


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SOLD - 1978 Scamp 13 "Custard Deluxe" For Sale floyd Classified Archives 2 06-02-2009 07:53 PM
"U" Molding & Cabinet doors needed 76' Scamp Dave Baston Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 4 06-03-2008 05:27 PM
Wanted:"Old style" Scamp spare tire cover Tony Nowak Classified Archives 1 08-01-2007 02:12 PM
"U" Molding & Cabinet doors needed 76' Scamp Dave Baston General Chat 0 12-31-1969 07:00 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.