Sleeping in our "new to us" 16 ft. Scamp delux? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2011, 06:36 AM   #1

Name: Jodee
Trailer: Currently shopping
Washington
Sleeping in our "new to us" 16 ft. Scamp delux?

So the main issue I find with our new toy is 2 people who love each other, but are used to a king sized bed, trying to sleep somewhat comfortably on the dinette/bed. Oh yeah, I forgot about the 15lb dog. Has anyone figured out ways to make more room?
Jodeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:22 AM   #2

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Sleeping

The bed was our major concern when we purchased our first small trailer. Honestly it has turned out to never be a problem. We now find that when we are in our normal bed at home we feel a lttle abandoned at night and inevitably creep closer to each other.

I admit we don't have a dog. I assume the dog has it's own space.

As we were preparing for small trailer travel I suggested to my wife that we needed to pretend we were 16 again when we craved to be close. It's amazing how that young teen is still hiding inside of all of us.

Safe and fun travels

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:00 AM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Norm; You are truely a Hopeful Romantic
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:02 AM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
On the Escape forum they show a table extension into the walkway to let you lay long wise in the trailer. I think Floyd also has a picture of this mod set up for his Scamp 13. I am planning on making this mod on a 13 Scamp I am working on. The main problem I see is it will block of your furnace. The other option is to cut off your cabinets about 11" then you will have a 54" for a full bed.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:26 AM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodeet View Post
So the main issue I find with our new toy is 2 people who love each other, but are used to a king sized bed, trying to sleep somewhat comfortably on the dinette/bed. Oh yeah, I forgot about the 15lb dog. Has anyone figured out ways to make more room?

Had the same issue but it was an 85lb dog! Ended up convincing him after many trips that the bottom bunk was his not the main bed.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:42 AM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie longest View Post
on the escape forum they show a table extension into the walkway to let you lay long wise in the trailer. I think floyd also has a picture of this mod set up for his scamp 13. I am planning on making this mod on a 13 scamp i am working on. The main problem i see is it will block of your furnace. The other option is to cut off your cabinets about 11" then you will have a 54" for a full bed.
Eddie
from the escape forum.

Name:   isle bed.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  4.1 KB

Name:   isle bed 1.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  4.1 KB
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:18 AM   #7

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Thanks eddie;
Here is a photo of ours in the extended position.
We used the original Scamp table with the leg shortened, placed it instead of the pedestal table to achieve the shown result.
It is a 54" bed to start with, but we thought we would just experiment and it sleeps very nicely and is easy to set up.
The first picture is the wraparound couch, the next two are the "king" bed made up,and the last is the normal bed for comparison.
Attached Thumbnails
scamp pictures 020.jpg   kingbed4.JPG  

kingbed 3.JPG   Eggy-Sue inside 004.jpg  

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:24 AM   #8

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
Since I will be traveling, almost always, by myself the rear bed/table area of my Trillium will be left as a bed all the time. It is more than sufficient for just myself.

I will be doing the reno to the front bench area though. Making it into a two seat dinette type of thing.

The extension looks interesting, but, the way that my trailer is, the extension would be really close to encroaching on the front grille of the heater.
Trill136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:35 AM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min View Post
Since I will be traveling, almost always, by myself the rear bed/table area of my Trillium will be left as a bed all the time. It is more than sufficient for just myself.

I will be doing the reno to the front bench area though. Making it into a two seat dinette type of thing.

The extension looks interesting, but, the way that my trailer is, the extension would be really close to encroaching on the front grille of the heater.
Here are a couple of pictures of an unfinished front dinette conversion which we did on a 1977 Trillium 13fter...
Also one of the permanent bed. Unfortunately I have no finished pictures since I sold the trailer before it was done.
Attached Thumbnails
trillium unfinished 017.jpg   trillium unfinished 018.jpg  

trillium unfinished 030.jpg   trillium unfinished 031.jpg  

trillium unfinished 024.jpg  
Old 11-05-2011, 10:15 AM   #10

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
The bed was our major concern when we purchased our first small trailer. Honestly it has turned out to never be a problem. We now find that when we are in our normal bed at home we feel a lttle abandoned at night and inevitably creep closer to each other.

I admit we don't have a dog. I assume the dog has it's own space.

As we were preparing for small trailer travel I suggested to my wife that we needed to pretend we were 16 again when we craved to be close. It's amazing how that young teen is still hiding inside of all of us.

Safe and fun travels
Not all of us; I love my wife, but she simply has none of that "young teen" hiding inside her any more... unfortunately!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 11:00 AM   #11

Name: Rene
Trailer: Bigfoot 2500 truck camper
British Columbia
We have the same issue with our boler 17. We have never enjoyed a double bed as we have a queen at home. The bed is the only thing keeping our trailer from being perfect. An extension would either block the furnace which is used alot or the bathroom door.
The only hope I can see is if we use the dinette bed as well as the rear gaucho. We want the table set up most of the time when we are on the move or in cool weather. If we were set up in one place for a while we could consider setting up the dining bed full time while we ate outside in good weather. I fear we will have to eventually find a FG trailer with a bigger bed. Not sure which models qualify yet.
Rene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 11:53 AM   #12

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Thanks eddie;
Here is a photo of ours in the extended position.
We used the original Scamp table with the leg shortened, placed it instead of the pedestal table to achieve the shown result.
It is a 54" bed to start with, but we thought we would just experiment and it sleeps very nicely and is easy to set up.
The first picture is the wraparound couch, the next two are the "king" bed made up,and the last is the normal bed for comparison.
Kind of difficult to use the furnace at night, aint it?
Old 11-05-2011, 12:06 PM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Not really, we have a heat strip in that useless A/C!
We have the 54" bed and really have no need for the "king" conversion.
The extension was just an exercise in what can be done... and it works very well.
If I were to use it regularly I would simply use the regular bed on those rare nights when I both have no shore power and it is cold enough to need the furnace.

The conversion would be ideal for a Scamp Standard with no furnace or in temperate weather.
Old 11-05-2011, 03:31 PM   #14

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
That's why it pays to be 16 again!
Old 11-05-2011, 05:22 PM   #15

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Not Bragging....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
That's why it pays to be 16 again!
Jane....

We hardly ever run our electric or propane heater at night.

Two bodies in idle mode, whether 16 or 69, produce 200 watts, equal to some 600 btus; in activity mode the power output is even greater....

Actually 200 watts under a couple of blankets is usually warm enough. We usually don't turn on the heat until we hop out of bed.

As to feeling 16 at 69, it's all a state of mind, the frequency is just lower.

(I hope I don't have to moderate myself...)

Ginny and I are both 69 and not quite ready to believe we'll both be 70 next August.... certainly being on the road makes one feel younger.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 02:53 PM   #16

Name: Sue & Gene
Trailer: 1989 Scamper 16ft
Illinois
Registry
We also use an extension at times, that extends into the walkway-we havent used it much, and share our 16foot 1989 Scamp bed with our 20lb Yorkie!
Susanm34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:06 PM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanm34 View Post
We also use an extension at times, that extends into the walkway-we havent used it much, and share our 16foot 1989 Scamp bed with our 20lb Yorkie!
20# Yorkie?!? Pictures we gotta have pictures!
Old 04-05-2012, 05:51 PM   #18

Name: Jodee
Trailer: Currently shopping
Washington
So we're ready to take our new to us 16 ft scamp for the 1st time! We know we'll need to construct some sort of an extension to the bed so we can sleep back to front instead of side to side. If anyone has built a removable extension can you tell us what/how you did it? Thanks
Jodeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:13 PM   #19

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
still waiting for pics of that 20 LB yorkie. :-)

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:34 AM   #20

Name: Sue & Gene
Trailer: 1989 Scamper 16ft
Illinois
Registry
Talking Table/Bed Extension 16 footer

Jodeet-My husband built an extension out of wood that allows us to lay lengthwise of our 16 foot Scamp-we don't use it every time, but it does come in handy when you are wanting to really stretch out! I'l try to get some pics posted in the next week or so of that piece!
Karalyn-I'm going to try to post a pic of Louie-our 20plus lb Yorkie! Keep in mind, he is a full blooded, original breed Yorkshire Terrier, not the little 7lbers you see running around!
We have camped several times this season already, and are loving it!!
Happy Campers!
Sue
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN1708.JPG   DSCN1980.JPG  

Susanm34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp