Snap on Window AC? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2014, 08:59 PM   #1

Name: Sandy
Trailer: trillium
New Jersey
Snap on Window AC?

Hi Everyone!

Been searching through the threads for ideas on adding a window ac unit to our 1979 Trillium, the back emergency window that flips up. For us, it needs to be removable for travel, so we can "pop" it in the window when needed.

So we know we will be using a piece of plywood to permanently mount the actual ac unit to, and then place the entire assembled wood/unit into the open window (the end product of plywood will be painted/sealed/siding etc for weatherproofing/aesthetics). The window we will just keep flipped open when the AC is installed.

But all suggestions are welcomed on how do we secure the plywood to the window frame? We do not want to drill any holes into our Trillium or window frame. I saw someone say they were in the process of adding a "Snap on Window AC" on a post from 2013 and they would update/photos, but have no luck fining it on here?

We are inserting the wood/unit from the outside, so need a way to clamp the plywood frame to the metal window frame on the inside. So far we are thinking maybe J hooks through the plywood at the edges with a wingnut on the outside that we can tighten the pressure onto the metal window frame.

Anyone out there add an easily removable window ac to their camper? Any ideas, tips, photos, problems you have encountered?
lunachix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 08:51 AM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Florida
I hope this helps. Mike

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...dow-64781.html
Attached Thumbnails
Frigidaire 5000 BTU 002.jpg  
Mike-N-Laurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 08:52 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 13'
Florida
Click Link:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...dow-64781.html
Mike-N-Laurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 08:45 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Sandy on my 4500 I made a aluminum shelf and attached 2small flag pole brackets to 2 corners. I then inserted wooden dowels with rubber caps on one end of the dowels . I then hinged one side of the shelf with short screws to the window . The weight of the air conditioner pushes the angled dowels against the belly band and holds it very well . To make any further adjustments I cut 2 triangle wedges like a door stop and slide them between the shelf and the unit.another thing to consider is not all air conditioners are the same I use a unit that sits half in and half out some units sit 3/4 out and1/4 in the half units are much more balanced on the edge of the window . I then finish the opening in the window with clear plexy glass. It takes me less then a minute to take the unit in and out but with 2 fantastic fans in my trailer I rarely use it
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:27 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikmay View Post
Sandy on my 4500 I made a aluminum shelf and attached 2small flag pole brackets to 2 corners. I then inserted wooden dowels with rubber caps on one end of the dowels . I then hinged one side of the shelf with short screws to the window . The weight of the air conditioner pushes the angled dowels against the belly band and holds it very well . To make any further adjustments I cut 2 triangle wedges like a door stop and slide them between the shelf and the unit.another thing to consider is not all air conditioners are the same I use a unit that sits half in and half out some units sit 3/4 out and1/4 in the half units are much more balanced on the edge of the window . I then finish the opening in the window with clear plexy glass. It takes me less then a minute to take the unit in and out but with 2 fantastic fans in my trailer I rarely use it
Okay, maybe I'm tired.. or old But, I'm having a tough time wrapping my head around this description. Do you have pictures to share?
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 05:26 AM   #6
Commercial Member

Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Okay, maybe I'm tired.. or old But, I'm having a tough time wrapping my head around this description. Do you have pictures to share?
Ya Donna it's kinda opposite of a rue Goldberg design it's easier to do than describe . I'll try to send pics when I install it
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote