Solar ???? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-28-2012, 02:22 PM   #15

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
I'm probably going to go the "both" route. But I'm starting on the roof and seeing what that gives me. I know I don't want to deal with setup up and bringing in a panels EVERY time I want to be getting any charge at all. So I know I want at least some fixed to the trailer panels. But I love my computers, movies and gadgets so I know I'll use all the power I can make. So, I may add a high effeciency traditional panel or two or more flexible panels if I find they work well in a movable rack/stand. The glass and metal enclosed panels are just SO heavy per watt. The Sunflex are around 10 watts per pound, metal/glass enclosed panels are 5 watts per pound or less. The metal/glass panels have a much higher life expectancy, 20 years rather than a predicted, but unproven 5 to 10 years for the flexible panels.

These panels were recommended by another member here. From looking around I'm not seeing a better solution for me.
Sunflex Solar and Alternative/Renewable Energy - About us

Old 05-28-2012, 02:24 PM   #16

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Jim do you have a photo of your locking system or a link to the lock. It sounds like something I could use.
+1, a big hesitation for loose panels to me is theft/worry. Solutions for locking up and keeping in place during high winds are most welcome.

Old 05-28-2012, 04:54 PM   #17

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
As the saying goes, I know just enough about solar to be dangerous. So someone correct whatever mistakes I make here, ok?

I've read that most solar panels are dramatically affected by even small shadows that fall on them, because the cells are connected in series and if the current flow is slowed in just one small area it slows the flow in the whole panel.

But if you will be in a situation where shadows often may be produced (from nearby vent covers or antennas, or from trees or whatnot), there's a type of panel that is not as greatly affected. And although it's less efficient for its size, I think it has an advantage when the sun is at an angle or when there's some overcast or shadows. It does not lose as much production under adverse lighting conditions. I'm thinking this is the "amorphous" panel, if I remember correctly. I think Uni-Solar is one maker of these, and they are flexible panels with adhesive so they can stick right onto the roof without making any mounting holes. But they are big... a 68W panel is 112" long x 15.5" wide.... so they won't fit on every roof.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 05:15 PM   #18

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
another factor that will have a big factor on how well your panels work or dont work is the angle that you have placed them at.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 05:20 PM   #19

British Columbia
Yep, I believe a panel will be limited by the least illuminated cell on the panel. Amorphous panels are better with that, how much better I'm not sure. I think they are better with less direct light as well. But overall so much less efficient I'm not sure it's worth it to me. I'm planning on at least 3 main panels in parallel, maybe with a few more smaller, long panels along the sides of the roof. So I hope the shadowing from the vents as such will be minimized, should be during the best hours of the day I'd think when the sun is high.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:35 PM   #20

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Here is some solar info I found interesting: The RV Battery Charging Puzzle « HandyBob's Blog
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:09 PM   #21
Commercial Member

Name: Rob
Trailer: Casita
Kansas
Registry
Attached is a photo of the alarm lock that I also use for my Honda generator. The Winegard antenna has a steel bracket attached to it that can be used to attach the cable and lock. Solar panel is also secured with lock and cable.

Link to alarm lock follows. If you rotate the hasp 180 degrees it disables the alarm feature and you can use it as a regular lock.

Amazon.com: U.S. Patrol JB5593 Siren Padlock Alarm: Home Improvement
Old 05-29-2012, 05:59 PM   #22
Commercial Member

Name: Rob
Trailer: Casita
Kansas
Registry
If considering a roof mounted panel, the attached link has some good information about mounting the panel without penetrating the roof by using VHB (veery high bond) tape. Tested for over 5 years now.

Solar install with VHB tape - The Casita Club Forums
Old 05-29-2012, 06:50 PM   #23

Name: Roger
Trailer: U Hall VT
Michigan
Registry
We have a 50 watter from Ramsond on E-bay, have camped for 10 days, Pretty much just used for lighting and VCR player, never ran out of juice, all boon docking, mounted on roof.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:11 PM   #24

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
I have an 80 watt Ramsond. It is a "tether to graze" with a Morningstar Sunkeeper 6 amp charge controller, 20' of 12awg SJ cable, an old tubing lawnmower handle added to produce an adjustable A-frame leg and a yard lighting stake and two wire tent stakes for wind control. Even with an unobstructed sky, drop in watts produced is noticable if not rotated to face the moving sun. Has to be repositioned at the very least twice a day. I believe it is the older amorphous technology. With 1500watt Ramsond inverter and a group 27 battery, it is keeping up reasonably well with discharge to a 2.7 ft.\3 dorm fridge (105watts) on a bright sunny day. I am debating getting an additional group 27 or, perhaps when this battery goes south, 2 6V mobility scooter batteries of the AGM sort to go inside the trailer.

jack
Old 06-08-2012, 06:05 AM   #25

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
... an old tubing lawnmower handle added to produce an adjustable A-frame leg and a yard lighting stake and two wire tent stakes for wind control.
Jack,

I'd like to see that setup, do you have any pictures? How did you do the adjustable?
Old 06-08-2012, 04:36 PM   #26

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Roy, search for thread from 3 July 2011 entitled "Burro enters solar system." Attached photos reveal all!

jack
Old 06-08-2012, 05:28 PM   #27

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Thanks Jack, found it:
Burro enters solar system
I'll ask any questions after I've had time to read the thread.

Tags
solar