Solar Boler - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-08-2009, 03:30 PM   #1

Trailer: Two 13 ft Bolers and one 17 ft Boler
Here is a link to some photos of the progress of a Solar Panel install on the Boler.

Will complete a video once the project is complete.

http://flickr.com/photos/76boler/326376209...57613488933155/

Old 02-08-2009, 03:57 PM   #2

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Thumbs up

They look pretty slick. How many watts? Do they stay flat all of the time?

Old 02-08-2009, 07:47 PM   #3

Quote:
They look pretty slick. How many watts? Do they stay flat all of the time?

Two 80 watt panels,approximately 42"X42" (together), wired in series. Should give me a Vmp of 33.4 volts, current of 4.8 amps.

The panels can stay flat, tilt towards door side, tilt towards drivers' side or be remotely mounted up to 35 feet away with the addition of a 12 AWG extension cord. I am thinking of adding a set of mounts to the cap of my truck. The trailer can then be parked in the shade and the panels can be secured to the truck which can be parked in the sun.

Also looking into a method to secure (lock) the panels to their mounts to help deter theft.

I'm pretty new to solar so it is taking me a while to get my head around the terminology and different wiring techniques.

A Morningstar MPPT charge controller should arrive for an install next weekend. Once I hook it up and run it through its' paces I will report back with the results.
Old 02-14-2009, 04:52 AM   #4

Name: Gerry
Trailer: Boler 13 ft / 31 ft Holiday Rambler
Maine
I have a much smaller panel I used last summer while full timeing as camp host and it kept my battery charged for what I needed.
A few questions about your set up because I just moved mine around on its 15 foot lead to capture the max sun. Although it would work in ambiant sun I felt better when I saw ths sun right on it.
Do you plan to keep this panel on top of camper at all times even traveling down the road?
If so, did you build a cover to protect it? Does it need protection?
If not do you bring along a step-ladder so you can set it up?( do not think I would like this idea)
Even to get a cover off you would need to get up there.
Gerry
Old 02-14-2009, 10:39 AM   #5

Quote:
I have a much smaller panel I used last summer while full timeing as camp host and it kept my battery charged for what I needed.
A few questions about your set up because I just moved mine around on its 15 foot lead to capture the max sun. Although it would work in ambiant sun I felt better when I saw ths sun right on it.
Do you plan to keep this panel on top of camper at all times even traveling down the road?
If so, did you build a cover to protect it? Does it need protection?
If not do you bring along a step-ladder so you can set it up?( do not think I would like this idea)
Even to get a cover off you would need to get up there.
Gerry

I will have mounts on my truck cap and have made a 50 ft extension from #10 AWG wire. (The length of the extension can vary for your installation depending how you have your panel or panels wired (series or parallel) and your particular charge controller.)

I will have the option of leaving the panels on the trailer or transferring them to the tow vehicle. It has been suggested by PeterH that the fibreglass roof may not be able to withstand the forces of the wind on the panels. I will not be doing a road test until April so won't be able to report back until I take it for a few runs. Chances are I will get better gas mileage with the panels mounted on the cap of my truck so the wind can travel over/under and around the panels. You will notice that the aluminum support brackets are broadside to the oncoming wind when the panels are on top of the trailer. The brackets on my truck cap will be turned 90 degrees to allow for better air flow.

Either way the panels will be plugged into the charging circuit so that the batteries are being charged while I am travelling.

The panels weight is only 35 lbs so it is just a matter of stepping up on a small stool to slide them on or off the trailer or truck. An easy one man operation.

There is no need to cover the panels. They are designed to withstand some punishment from the elements such as hail. As well if covered they will not be charging your batteries.

Once the project is complete and warmer weather comes back to Calgary then I will complete a video showing the setup in actual use.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:46 AM   #6

Name: Ches
Trailer: 1992 Kustom Koach 17 FT
British Columbia
Very good job.You should be proud.
Old 02-14-2009, 06:49 PM   #7

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
One thing I have found to be helpful is to put a parallel connector from the panel and connect a Voltmeter there.

I have been able to use this to aim the panel for maximum output at any time.

I am always surprised that the angle I think is so different from the angle the meter will peak at.

I just have a cheap dedicated meter just for doing this.

On mine I use Anderson Power pole connectors to make it quick and simple to connect it all.

Ed
Old 02-26-2009, 11:50 PM   #9

Name: Joe
Trailer: Hunter Industries
California
Send a message via AIM to Joseph Domingos Send a message via Yahoo to Joseph Domingos
Kevin,
Your videos have been very educational, thanks for all your work in sharing them with all of us. You are one careful and meticulous guy! If/when I'm working on projects of my own down the road, you're one that I might bounce a few ideas off of, K? hehe

Happy Modding and keep up the good sharing!

Joe
Old 03-01-2009, 08:03 PM   #10

Todays' project was to design a prototype for a rotating solar panel mount for the cap of my truck.

This short video clip demonstrates the time and effort involved to transfer the panels from truck to trailer.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:33 AM   #13

I am heading to Langley on Thursday and this will be the "shake down" trip for the solar panel installation on the roof of the Boler.

I decided to follow through on a suggestion by Peterh and have installed a wind deflector in front of my panels to help direct air over the panels. The mounting brackets are broadside to the wind
and the concern was raised that this may cause excessive stress on the panel/roof connection.

I haven't done a wind tunnel test (although my neighbour did suggest a large fan and a 50 lb. bag of flour)I just guessed and "eyeballed" an angle. Hopefully it won't create a vortex and rip the panels off from the back!

Not sure if it will get painted in time for the journey but the trip should also expose any cracks that may occur in the fibreglass/bondo that may occur from the flexing of the roof.

Click image for larger version

Name:	wind_deflector.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	19938
Old 05-05-2009, 10:48 AM   #14

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Kevin, looking forward to seeing your setup on Friday.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler, solar