Solar Charger and Panels - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-22-2007, 04:37 PM   #29

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
Brenda & Dave and Darren
I think you may be starting down a tricky path here trying to compare D.C. and A.C. electrical systems in your trailers.

These systems are seperate and dis-similar aside from the fact that they both control electrical items.

In a D.C. system there is a 12volt positive and a negative or ground cable.

All 12volt circuits run on these two wires.

For reasons I will never understand there are two different conventions used to mark the wires and they are exactly opposite.
In some the red is 12v positive and in some the black is 12volt positive?

And Have Fun.

Ed
You are correct Ed, I often have to look at the wires several times because they are confusing, the positive does come down the black (or red wire) and that is typically the one with the in-line fuse (I have corrected my posts above). The white wire is the neutral.

In my Trillium there is no converter, the two electrical systems are completely seperate and there is no comparing the two.

Thanks for setting my colours straight.

Dave

Old 03-22-2007, 07:32 PM   #30

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
on sale at this moment for [b]$199.99
Click image for larger version

Name:	Solar_10.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	6965

Yes, that's what I paid. Most of the other local retail establishments around here sell each 15 watt panel (different manufacturer) for over $100, so I feel I got a deal. I only had to wait 4 months from the last time Harbor Freight put them on sale, regular price is $250.

Old 03-23-2007, 12:00 AM   #31

Trailer: Star Stream 19ft Aluminum
Quote:
You are correct Ed, I often have to look at the wires several times because they are confusing, the positive does come down the black (or red wire) and that is typically the one with the in-line fuse (I have corrected my posts above). The white wire is the neutral.

In my Trillium there is no converter, the two electrical systems are completely seperate and there is no comparing the two.

Thanks for setting my colours straight.

Dave
Ok! And now we all agree ..

Here is my setup
Battery positive terminal usees 8 guage wire to circuit breaker, thus fusing the entire system
Three 14 gauge wires coming to each of the three 12V accessory outlets on the trailer
These are tied together with the return (ground/neutral) which goes to the (-) terminal on the battery, which is tied to the frame.

Sound good??
Old 03-23-2007, 06:18 AM   #32

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
Quote:

Here is my setup
Battery positive terminal usees 8 guage wire to circuit breaker, thus fusing the entire system
Three 14 gauge wires coming to each of the three 12V accessory outlets on the trailer
These are tied together with the return (ground/neutral) which goes to the (-) terminal on the battery, which is tied to the frame.

Sound good??
I suppose I didn't say clearly enough what I was trying to.

In a 12volt D.C. system there is NO NEUTRAL wire.

The Ground wire is not at a neutral potential,it is at a ground potential. There is no debate,that is why it is called Ground and not Neutral.

In a 120volt A.C.circuit the Neutral and Ground are also not at the same potential.

I am not explaining here how A.C. power is produced but there is a safety and danger issue involved here by not understanding these differences.

In your 12v DC system the GROUND is part f the circuit itself.

In your 120v AC system the GROUND is more of a safety to make sure there is a safe discharge path to ground in case either the HOT or NEUTRAL wire become crossed somehow or grounded.

There is voltage alternating between the HOT and NEUTRAL 60 times a second(in America)
and grabbing either at the wrong time can kill you dead.

The GROUND of both systems may be tied to the same place on the trailer frame but I hope and pray that no one ties the NEUTRAL to the frame too by accident,

I am not trying to hijack this thread but it scares me a little to read some of it too.
Of course this is over simplified but they are not the same at all.

Ed
Old 03-23-2007, 07:57 AM   #33

Quote:
In a 12volt D.C. system there is NO NEUTRAL wire.

The Ground wire is not at a neutral potential,it is at a ground potential. There is no debate,that is why it is called Ground and not Neutral.

Ed
Thanks again Ed, I only called it neutral because it connected to (-) post on battery , I have no problem calling it Ground.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:04 AM   #34

Quote:

Sound good??
Sounds good, you were in a prior post using a terminal block to bring the wires back to a common location, then off to the battery, correct?
Old 03-23-2007, 09:28 AM   #35

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
Wire your charge controller DIRECTLY to the battery.

Ed, you are not over simplifying anything. In this instance, simple is the proper way to do it..

it's not rocket science.

wire like this and you have done it properly, no worries, nothing in between.

Panel +/- to charge controller INPUT, Charge controller OUTPUT to +/- on battery. Done.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:11 AM   #36

Trailer: 1972 MKP Grandesse T (made in Denmark)
Frederick L. Simson ! Thank you so much for this post on this cool mod! I've been toying with the idea of a generator, but would rather work with solar, and this is just what I needed to know!!!
Old 03-24-2007, 10:24 AM   #37

Trailer: Star Stream 19ft Aluminum
Quote:
Sounds good, you were in a prior post using a terminal block to bring the wires back to a common location, then off to the battery, correct?
I was, but after some advice from the AutoParts guy, here is what I now have on the live-side of the battery (the charge side of the battery is unchanged)

8 guage wire from battery to a 20A curcuit breaker (protects whole setup at once)
From the protected side of the curcuit breaker, three 14 guage wires to three accessory outlet sockets. It essentially replaces the need for the block.
Each one is tied into a ground wire heading back to the (-) terminal on the battery, which is tied with 8-guage to the frame.

Any concerns ... or do I have it right now???

Darren
Old 04-29-2007, 08:26 PM   #38

California
Registry
Talking

Quote:
Now the panels stow compactly. I show them folded, along with the collapsed angled mounting frame:

Attachment 6935

[b]My next project will be to build a carrying case, or box, to store them in.
Thank you, Gina!
The guitar case works perfectly.

Name:	Solar_11.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	7576
Attached Thumbnails
Solar_12.jpg  
Old 04-29-2007, 08:34 PM   #39

California
Registry
Talking

The case full of solar panels even fits on the tongue, behind the propane tanks. <strike>I just gotta figure out how to strap it down for travel.</strike>

Name:	Solar_13.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	7578

<strike>Until then</strike>, It'll ride inside.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:17 PM   #40

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
Wow, and you managed to keep one side of the plush. Cool.

That case is the perfect size. It was about an 1/8" to narrow for mine.

I would plan on keeping it inside for travel Fred. Turn your back for 2 seconds and that "Guitar" will walk faster than you can say "Boo". The thief will be disappointed they didn't get a pointy Headed Jackson, but thats no consolation once the panels are gone.

The case is also NOT waterproof.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:37 PM   #41

California
Registry
Talking

Quote:
Wow, and you managed to keep one side of the plush. Cool.
I kept BOTH sides of the plush.
I just removed the plush lining from the styrofoam after I removed the styrofoam from the case. Right now the plush is laying loose, but sometime I plan to reglue it to the case itself.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:30 AM   #42

Trailer: Boler 1700SGH (Stage II twoftitis)
The next owner of my 13 foot Boler mailed me to report his first camping trip was successful except for the fridge fire they had. Apparently it happened because the +12V line of the fridge had rubbed together with the 110V line and wore through the insulation. The 110 wasn't plugged in and the fridge was running on propane but the 12V line was still live... The insulation burned and caught the fridge on fire. Why am I bringing this up in this thread? Well, when I had refurbished the trailer, I added a breaker panel for the new things I added into the trailer (water pump, LP/CO detectors, lights, propane solenoid) and upgraded the wiring from the battery to the panel. So there was a nice 12ga wire coming from the batteries to the panel, and then subsequently 16 gauge to the fridge. The end result was that when the fridge wire insulation shorted out, the 'fuse' because the 16ga wire and that's some fuse allright...

My point is, install a fuse or breaker or something right on the main feed from the battery, and every other circuit in your trailer. If your battery is outside, don't put a fuse out there; it will corrode and act intermittent. Auto manufacturers use a 'fusible link' which is a short bit of wire with inflammable insulation and rated to a specific amperage (usually 30A). This short piece of wire goes between the positive side of the battery and the rest of the vehicle wiring (that isn't the starter)... All other fuses are mounted downstream of that. There's no reason our trailers should be wired and differently, except that our manufacturers are cheap and cut corners wherever possible... So, on this next trailer, I plan to add some fusible link between the batteries and the feed line. I imagine it should be available from auto dealers for relatively cheap..

Tags
solar, solar power