solar hook up wiring question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2010, 08:48 PM   #1

Trailer: 76 13 ft Scamp (fits in my Garage...Yeah)
Hello Group

I have been searching and decided to post a Solar question

I have two solar panels a 85 and a 40 watt that i will be hooking up to my rig both are from kyocera

wanted to know what i needed to hook both together before they wire into the controller

i have looked into the MC3 connectors and a possible y connector

one unit will be roof mounted and the other a portable mount

both units have j boxes

one box has 2 feet of wire and a plug atttached to the jbox the other has not been used and has no plug on the jbox just the open hole

where do you get the plug for this and is the mc3 y branch the way to go?

thanks

jim
jimtesla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:29 PM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Boler and 17 ft Boler
Jim,

I found the people on this site very helpful with my solar questions.

http://www.wind-sun.com/ForumVB/index.php

Surf through my Youtube postings of my solar installation as they may answer some of your questions

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=kevinh.../32/bP6pDkpe1-o
kevin61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:53 PM   #3

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Alright, I find it kinda funny that someone named Tesla is asking an electronic question

You can use any connector that is hefty enough for the current the panel is capable of. It doesn't care what the mechanical configuration is.

My suggestion to you would be to do the permanent mount and wire it to the controller first, then take your portable, select a quick connect and do it straight to the controller as well. They can both be wired directly to the controller.. they don't care as long as they are paralleled correctly at or before the controller.

I have used audio connectors (Speakons, 1/4 phone plugs and jacks etc) and most recently am using trailer connectors, Bargman 6 pins.. using only two of the pins. Trailer wiring connectors are easy to find anywhere and their hefty barrels make them bullet proof.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 02:37 AM   #4

Trailer: 76 13 ft Scamp (fits in my Garage...Yeah)
Quote:
Alright, I find it kinda funny that someone named Tesla is asking an electronic question
I know huh

I was just going to run straight through and i went to a site Arizona Solar a saw all the new wiring with the mc3 and mc4 connectors so I had to ask....they also suggest using the y adapter and then running one line in..

My man cave is coming along berry nicely thanks to this site and all the cool articles and information my solar hook up will be my last project before I get ready to role.......
jimtesla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar, solar power