Solar Lights - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2006, 07:29 AM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
This really is not a "mod" per-sey, but I thought it worth posting. I have swiped the $8 Home Depot solar lights from my yard and attached them at six points around my 13 Scamp. Two are held securely by the gravel shield clips (as shown) two are slid through the caribeanor clips (used for yet another mod) at the end of my awning (shown). The final two are simply stuck in the ground at at legs of the awning (not shown). Keep in mind that any solar unit needs direct sunlight (not just ambient light) for at least two hours to fully charge. If your camp location is not in direct light, simply take the solar lights to a sunny location to charge. Now I have to replace the lights in my yard.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0884small.jpg   IMG_0881smaller.jpg  

cropped2.jpg  
Attached Images

LeBoutillier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 08:45 AM   #2

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
Great Idea with the Solar lights!!
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 09:14 AM   #3

Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty Deluxe 17 ft / Honda Odyssey
Great idea!
Patrick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 10:25 AM   #4

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Cool idea. Sorry, but now my mind is starting to shift into the extrapolation mode.

How about providing some method to carry them on the outside of the coach so they could charge up all day, then bring them inside to light up the coach during the evening?
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 09:22 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Cool idea. Sorry, but now my mind is starting to shift into the extrapolation mode.

How about providing some method to carry them on the outside of the coach so they could charge up all day, then bring them inside to light up the coach during the evening?
I was thinking something similar too Loren...how about some sort of box so the light's stay upright and put the box in the trailer, in a window?? Or something mounted on the hitch area, or back bumper???
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 09:51 AM   #6

Trailer: 1980 Bolar 1700
I'm thinking even further to bring the lights inside. What if you were to cannibalize the lights and permanently mount the top solar cover to the roof of the rig and ceiling mount the other half inside. Throw a switch on there and you have some inexpensive rechargeable ambient light in the unit.
Rob S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 08:02 PM   #7

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
... What if you were to cannibalize the lights and permanently mount the top solar cover to the roof of the rig and ceiling mount the other half inside...
This is an interesting idea: in the end you have (tiny) solar panels on the roof, (little NiCd) batteries being charged, and low-voltage DC lights (likely LED) - a whole solar-powered system in miniature, and cheap. The full-scale version is to roof-mount a panel, charge the trailer battery with it, and power high-efficiency lights inside from the battery.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 06:47 PM   #8

Trailer: 1968 Venture (Molded Fiberglass 19 ft Class A Motorhome) and 82 TranStar B+
Send a message via AIM to Penny Taylor Send a message via Yahoo to Penny Taylor
Then, while you are at it, get a solar battery charger from Walmart, (used to be $16) and then you can replenish your battery the next day.
Or like Brian said, go whole hog, and get a solar panel for your roof !
Penny Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 06:58 PM   #9

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
If you want your solar light setup for the inside already split into two units, with the panel outside and a light with battery inside, check out the Mini Everlite Solar Light. The light fixture is perhaps more optimal for trailer use than the usual garden lights. It is a lot more than $8, but less than a full-blown solar setup.

Don't blame me... Rob started this!
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 11:20 AM   #10

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
The appearance would be similar to barnacles on a whale's back.

So nasty! So naughty! So nautical!!!

There! That's what I really meant to say!
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 12:17 PM   #11
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Remember those adjustable flag holders mounted on the side of the trailer for awning poles?????? Now there's a solution for you light holders.
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lighting, lights, solar, solar power