Solar lights mod - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2014, 11:07 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Solar lights mod

I carry at least a couple of the $.99 Walmart solar lights. They have the spike and it's been nearly impossible at most sites to find a spot soft enough to put them in the ground...at least near my Scamp. So below, is a "mod" I thought of and experimented until I settled on this idea- using the small camera "tripods".

You basically just cut the body (tube) off to the desired length (mine is 1-1/2 to 2"). Then cut the spike off even to the base. I drill a 3/16" hole as close to the center of the spike's upper portion (that presses into the tube) as I can. The tripods have a 1/4" threaded stud sticking out the top. Just thread that into the hole and you're done!

You now set these lights anywhere- even on unlevel ground. Just bend the legs to suit. I ordered the lil tripods through Walmart for about $3 a piece. What's good about it, as the lights show wear or quit, just buy another $.99 light. Slip the old out of the tube and insert this one and you're good as new for just $1 Also notice the legs will straighten out for easy storage-- another reason for going with the tripod legs.
Attached Thumbnails
Solar Light_Original.jpg   Solar Light & Legs.jpg  

Solar Light & Legs Folded for storage.jpg  
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 02:57 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Good idea, I like it.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 07:34 AM   #3

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
Brilliant !
Old 11-08-2014, 05:07 PM   #4

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
I think it would be perfect for sitting around a picnic table after dark. Good idea Darral!

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights, solar