Solar Panel Installation - no drilling holes - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2013, 04:25 PM   #1

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Solar Panel Installation - no drilling holes

The mounts can be safely bonded to the surface removing the need to drill holes. The mounts also act as a wind deflector and maintain the correct air gap between the solar panel and the roof top / deck.

solar mount system,solar panel and PV accessory supplier,caravan solar, camping solar
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:35 PM   #2

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Interesting...guessing still going to need that super strength dbl sided tape though. How much do these cost?

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:45 PM   #3

NE Oklahoma
Good question. I hadn't noticed the chinese company to the side.
I'll have to search and see what I can find out.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:48 PM   #4

NE Oklahoma
I found a kit that uses these.......

60W 12V dual battery solar charging kit motorhome, caravan, camper, boat, marine | eBay

Course it's in the UK
Old 09-05-2013, 04:52 PM   #5

NE Oklahoma
Ali express has the corners units for 3.34 each

Caravan Solar Kits-Buy Cheap Caravan Solar Kits lots from China Caravan Solar Kits suppliers on Aliexpress.com

Here's another style called sticky feet.
https://rvsolarstore.com/index.php?r...product_id=112
Old 09-05-2013, 05:04 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I found this on eBay: Instapark ZJ35B Drill Free Solar Panel Roof Mount Rack Rail Bracket Support Kit | eBay

Way overpriced IMHO. I'll make my own sticky feet with some aluminum or stainless steel for a couple of dollars.

Old 09-05-2013, 05:31 PM   #7

NE Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
I found this on eBay: Instapark ZJ35B Drill Free Solar Panel Roof Mount Rack Rail Bracket Support Kit | eBay

Way overpriced IMHO. I'll make my own sticky feet with some aluminum or stainless steel for a couple of dollars.

WHEW...........that is high...........
I'm thinking I can make my own plastic mounts.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:38 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
As far as I'm concerned mounting solar panels on the roof is not the best idea. Generally we try to park the trailer in the shade. Therefore a moveable solar panel works best. I can move my panel around and get the full solar effect of the sun.
I can also use it to charge my radio battery or my car battery.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:03 PM   #9

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I really like the idea of using a solar cell as rock guard over the front, and maybe even the back window. Have the solar cells them selves face toward the trailer and make the back of the assembly weather proof. If they are mounted on a pivoting support that alows the cells to be flipped 180°, then they can still be used as an awning, and a solar cell. If they are removable, then, like Byron said, you can park the trailer in the shade, and the solar cells in the sun.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:11 PM   #10

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Byron is certainly correct.

A tended panel adjustable to best sun is the most efficient in a shaded situation and if tended to in a non-shaded situation.

We roof mounted ours in a fixed location because we simply don't like dealing with stored items as we travel. As well we're not around during the day to maximize solar panel direction and angle.

Another secondary reason is the panels are definitely secure on the roof, can be lighter than stored solar panels because they don't need to be protected or nearly so structural. For example our two 40W panels weigh a about 4 lbs and are less than a 1/4 inch thick. It's also another thing that doesn't need to be deployed when you camp.

Like most everything there are pluses and minuses to all solutions. Individuals can make choices that most meet their needs.

The roof mounted solar panels operate while you driving because they're not locked away in the back of the truck.

Both solutions roof and non-roof have their advantages. In part their respective values are defined by where you camp, how long you camp and ....

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:12 PM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
I really like the idea of using a solar cell as rock guard over the front, and maybe even the back window. Have the solar cells them selves face toward the trailer and make the back of the assembly weather proof. If they are mounted on a pivoting support that alows the cells to be flipped 180°, then they can still be used as an awning, and a solar cell. If they are removable, then, like Byron said, you can park the trailer in the shade, and the solar cells in the sun.
I like this idea, too. Someone needs to come up with a clever mounting design using standard (read cheap ) hardware.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:50 PM   #12

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Byron is certainly correct.

A tended panel adjustable to best sun is the most efficient in a shaded situation and if tended to in a non-shaded situation.

We roof mounted ours in a fixed location because we simply don't like dealing with stored items as we travel. As well we're not around during the day to maximize solar panel direction and angle.
I only need to drag mine out every 3 or 4 days unless it's really cold out and furnace runs a lot. So a fixed mount isn't necessary.

Quote:
Another secondary reason is the panels are definitely secure on the roof, can be lighter than stored solar panels because they don't need to be protected or nearly so structural. For example our two 40W panels weigh a about 4 lbs and are less than a 1/4 inch thick. It's also another thing that doesn't need to be deployed when you camp.
Yes panel(s) do need some kind of protection while traveling. In my case I have a truck with a canopy and carpeted bed. A couple 2 x 4s and a piece of plywood with carpeting on the top make a nice little pocket for the my panel to ride in. The tail gate keeps in place from the rear. I just open trail gate and pull the panel out. When done I simply slide it back in. A whole lot less trouble some of the other things people deal with all the time.

Quote:
Like most everything there are pluses and minuses to all solutions. Individuals can make choices that most meet their needs.
The roof mounted solar panels operate while you driving because they're not locked away in the back of the truck.

Both solutions roof and non-roof have their advantages. In part their respective values are defined by where you camp, how long you camp and ....
I really don't understand why you would want the panels to operate while driving unless you don't have a charge line and/or a sufficient alternator to do the job.

Different situations, tow vehicle, panel size, etc. require different solutions. One of the great things about FiberglassRV is can get a lot of information about different solutions to get ideas on how to adapt or design what works best for you.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:05 PM   #13

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
I like the roof mount.
That way your panel does not grow legs and walk away while your away from camp!
Old 09-05-2013, 07:18 PM   #14

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
I found this on eBay: [

Plus your time. If you have lots to spare it is not a big deal, but for some of us busy with work, and wanting some free time to camp, it does matter. I kinda look at stuff like that in terms of time, and how much I could make working, at then the value is really good. I would bet it would take me at least three hours to source and make something that would work the same, and I could buy a couple by working for that same amount of time.

But, I do recognize that many of these things are done for the sheer joy of doing it, and I do enjoy projects like you speak of. Oh, how I yearn for retirement.......
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:54 PM   #15

Florida
Byron,

Yes I do have a charge line to the trailer. I really only use the tow vehicle to charge rhe battery in bad 'sun weather'. I try to have as many charging alternatives as possible.

Solutions and equipment we carry vary depending somewhat on our destination. For example, on occasion we have also carried a small 1000 watt generator. I guess the real point is that on the roof the solar panels are always charging.

I guess there's a little bit of 'prepper' in my being. We also have 2-120 watt home made panels in the cellar just in case....

As to roof mounting, we our solution is about as simple as it gets, 3M high bond strength tape, about $8 worth, now in year 3. Weight's a big deal with us, everything else being equal, we seek light solutions.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-05-2013, 08:18 PM   #16

New Jersey
Registry
I keep bouncing back and forth on where to Mount a panel and how large of one. I can fit something on my roof between the escape hatch and the front of the trailer 34x42' ish size that really wouldn't be very visible from the street. It would keep my batteries topped off when the caravan is sitting in my parents driveway but I usually like camping in the shade...so that wouldn't help keep the batteries charged. Do I put a 30-50 watt panel on the roof and get a 2nd larger one with a longer cable to setup in the sun for extra charging?

Too many options lol

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 09-05-2013, 08:23 PM   #17

NE Oklahoma
That's the one thing I don't like about modern technology.
TOOOOOOOO many choices. One has to "decide" on something
and it gives a person a head ache.

If I were to go solar I'm thinking I would have a roof mount and
a portable. Seems the shady lots in campgrounds are usually taken
and then it's the sunny ones left. I realize that those who boondock
wind up in the trees.........

I'm thinking I would always carry the generator if I were to boon dock.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:20 PM   #18

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Best of both worlds: tethered on the ground and moved to graze the solar pasture AND quickly attached to the front rockguard in full sun of high summer. I do store inside the trailer.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:21 PM   #19

Florida
Sometimes you need more than one solution depending on when and where you go. In the southwest we usually find a lot of sunshine and not a lot of trees, In spring Newfoundland we can have lots of trees and overcast skies or be in portions of Newfoundland without trees, regardless since it's cool in the spring we seek open sites.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-05-2013, 10:29 PM   #20

New Jersey
Registry
I do carry my generator, never know when it comes in handy... but I also want to keep my battery charged between adventures... especially since I will be taking Serenity out in the winter time as long as the roads arent icy and the weather forcast is clear!

Always pluses and minuses!

Tags
solar, solar panel