Solar Panel Roof Mounting Hardware - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2018, 11:28 AM   #1

Name: Tony
Trailer: Bigfoot
Colorado
Registry
Solar Panel Roof Mounting Hardware

OK, so I bought two 100w panels to mount on the roof of the new Bigfoot. I've looked over the mounting hardware available for rigid panels and so far have only seen that there are some available that will allow tilting panels to help maximize sun exposure, instead of mounting them flat.

Problem: the ones I so far discovered only tilt in one direction which limits parking options for orienting the trailer for maxing power generation. That in mind, is anyone familiar with a manufacturer of solar panel mounting hardware that can tilt panels in more than one direction?

As well, I have a vision of hardware that will allow cranking panels up and down from the ground in a similar fashion to that of deploying or retracting a typical awning.

Thanks in advance for your advice!
Tony O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 11:14 AM   #2

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Registry
I used the following method to install my 100 watt solar panel. Since 3 years that I installed and all is well.
I do not use winter yet, so I did not install mounts to maximize performance with the sun's angle in winter.

https://amsolar.com/rv-mounting-accessories/91m-35ms
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 02:32 PM   #3

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony O View Post
OK, so I bought two 100w panels to mount on the roof of the new Bigfoot. I've looked over the mounting hardware available for rigid panels and so far have only seen that there are some available that will allow tilting panels to help maximize sun exposure, instead of mounting them flat.

Problem: the ones I so far discovered only tilt in one direction which limits parking options for orienting the trailer for maxing power generation. That in mind, is anyone familiar with a manufacturer of solar panel mounting hardware that can tilt panels in more than one direction?

As well, I have a vision of hardware that will allow cranking panels up and down from the ground in a similar fashion to that of deploying or retracting a typical awning.
Thanks in advance for your advice!

What you want does exist...for commercial panel installations
https://pvbooster.com/
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 03:18 PM   #4

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Looking at the Amsolar rocker mounts linked in Gilles post #2, it looks to me like two pieces of "L" channel about two feet long are all that's needed.

Here's a link to complete brackets:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Adjustable-.../163207603177?
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 04:26 PM   #5

Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 72 View Post
Looking at the Amsolar rocker mounts linked in Gilles post #2, it looks to me like two pieces of "L" channel about two feet long are all that's needed.

With the following video, he shows us the installation with the extension arms to use in winter ...

Old 09-20-2018, 07:39 PM   #6

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
I used the following method to install my 100 watt solar panel. Since 3 years that I installed and all is well.
I do not use winter yet, so I did not install mounts to maximize performance with the sun's angle in winter.

https://amsolar.com/rv-mounting-accessories/91m-35ms
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 72 View Post

But these only tilt on one direction, and the OP said:

Quote:
Problem: the ones I so far discovered only tilt in one direction which limits parking options for orienting the trailer for maxing power generation. That in mind, is anyone familiar with a manufacturer of solar panel mounting hardware that can tilt panels in more than one direction? ...
And the one mentioned that does point to the sun:
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
What you want does exist...for commercial panel installations
https://pvbooster.com/
seems totally impractical for a mobile installation.

My guess would be that by the time you factor in the cost and complexity of a mount that would tilt in multiple directions, it is just not reasonable for a small travel trailer. Portable panels do of course adjust as needed to follow the sun, and as a bonus, and can be moved a short ways to reach the rays. So a flat mount, or one that tilts on one direction for the roof, paired with a portable setup, sounds like the most reasonable option. The roof mount wont be as efficient as is theoretically possible, but it will be practical.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 09:34 PM   #7

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Have you considered the issue of not wanting the sun shining on the same side of the trailer as your refrigerator? Would you really want that side to be facing to the south for a little extra solar energy in the warmer months? You are going to wipe out the energy creation savings with fridge then using more energy. It is a struggle for people to keep gas fridges cold in the summer months therefore they position their trailer so that side is to the north. This means you will only have one practical direction for tilting the panel so therefore no need for a dual angle tilt mechanism. Unless you want to face it towards the tongue or the rear in which case you have 3 angles. Better get a square panel just in case
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 06:27 AM   #8

Denver, CO
I'll leave the decision of whether to expose the refigerator side of the trailer to others.

I watched the video , found it useful, & it appears his rocker mounts [Linked in post #2] at the base are all identical. So it seems if he just came to the near side of the panel and faced away from us, he could reverse installation of the tilt bars, and achieve the opposite tilt.

Am I missing something?
Old 09-21-2018, 08:24 AM   #9

Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
But these only tilt on one direction, and the OP said:

And the one mentioned that does point to the sun:

seems totally impractical for a mobile installation.

My guess would be that by the time you factor in the cost and complexity of a mount that would tilt in multiple directions, it is just not reasonable for a small travel trailer. Portable panels do of course adjust as needed to follow the sun, and as a bonus, and can be moved a short ways to reach the rays. So a flat mount, or one that tilts on one direction for the roof, paired with a portable setup, sounds like the most reasonable option. The roof mount wont be as efficient as is theoretically possible, but it will be practical.

All valid, thoughtful and appreciated comments. Thanks to everyone for their insight and guidance. As in most situations, compromise appears to be necessary, if not required for a variety of reasons.

Not sitting idle I ran across this solution which at first view seemed practical until noting that the longitudinal axis was missing and the entire assembly unjustifiably expensive. Hmm...

Gilles' solution looks to be well advised from a cost/benefit standpoint even though it has inherent limitations. After watching the video I came away wondering why the angular supports aren't made telescopic to help set latitude. That thought in mind it occurred to me that a latitude scale printed on the side of the support arms would potentially be useful, too. Hmm...
Old 09-21-2018, 08:25 AM   #10

Colorado
Registry
K Corbin: Point well taken.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:48 AM   #11

Quebec
Registry
Quote:

Gilles' solution looks to be well advised from a cost/benefit standpoint even though it has inherent limitations. After watching the video I came away wondering why the angular supports aren't made telescopic to help set latitude. That thought in mind it occurred to me that a latitude scale printed on the side of the support arms would potentially be useful, too. Hmm...
Once the material is received, nothing prevents you from modifying the equipment according to your necessity.
You already have the possibility of two opposite directions.
With a little imagination and do-it-yourself, you can add two more directions if needed !!?
Old 09-21-2018, 09:08 AM   #12

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
I've modified the stock Escape panel mounts so that I can tip them in 3 different directions. I could tip them towards the front of the trailer, but the AC would block the rear panel. Some photos of the modifications (done in 2 steps, the first only allowed rear tilting) are on my Escape 21 Modifications page.

While practical for long stays like I do in the Arizona desert over the winter, this system is not all that practical for overnighters - you need to use a ladder to do the tilting, and move it around the trailer at least twice. Still, a 4X improvement in panel output during the low angle winter sun. I generally don't bother tilting unless I'm in a location for more than a week. I have not needed to tilt during the summer.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:08 AM   #13

Denver, CO
I don't get the difficulty here. A variety of simple kits would allow you to lift the panel from either side. The one below is just $35. It captures most of the winter sun benefit for the lowest cost. Instead of spending $ thousands on motorized mounts to tweak the position, just move your vehicle every couple hours.

Better yet, buy a bit more panel wattage than needed, then go enjoy the day. Consider sizing the controller to accept an added portable panel, when desired.

If you mount the brackets at the very ends of the panels, it would allow use of tilt bars with holes drilled at multiple lengths for variable heights. Telescoping bars are an alternative.

https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Adjust...f=pd_cp_107_2?
Old 09-21-2018, 09:27 AM   #14

Name: Francois
British Columbia
Registry
easier...

good luck in your quest for an all-way tilt set-up for your roof mounted panels....but unless you want to run a load like a three bedroom house off it...Do you really need it???

some cost/benefit analysis has to be made....let's say you have a 100W panel....how much money and trouble will it be to make it all way tilt....it might just be less money and trouble to just buy another 100W and mount it flat as well. Playing around with my panels sort of told me that a panel perfectly angled to the sun produces double what a panel on the flat produces.....so if you double W on the flat you'll end up with the same result.....and no climbing, moving, tilting (cheaper and less trouble always wins with me)

I'm 100% with Gordon on this one: the most versatile solution is a certain amount of flat panel on the roof and a "deployable" panel stored inside trailer... with and extension cord.....it covers ALL the bases

I even carry a second controller for the "deployable" so that I could charge another or somebody else's battery if that situation ever arose
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:54 AM   #15

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
An additional deploy-able would be way more flexible. For instance, what if the only reasonably level spot is in the shade? What if the only camping spot available is in the shade? Etc.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 10:20 AM   #16

Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Adams View Post
An additional deploy-able would be way more flexible. For instance, what if the only reasonably level spot is in the shade? What if the only camping spot available is in the shade? Etc.

Good point. Here in the Southwest (especially in desert areas), shade can be both a curse and blessing, depending on time of year, air temp, site availability, orientation, etc. Friends who have portable solar units frequently set up and take theirs down. I did so too for a while but it got to be a bit of a pain, especially if we wanted to go off site for a while and not leave the equipment unattended and insecure. That is the main reason I'm considering a more permanent solution.
Old 09-21-2018, 03:17 PM   #17

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Adams View Post
Having both rooftop tilting panels & a portable is the best way to go. A portable won't charge your batteries while on the road, and don't need to be moved as often as portable (and for those that worry, are less likely to "disappear" when you are away from the trailer.

For the winters in the southwest you rarely need to worry about sites in the shade - there usually isn't any shade any time of the year.

I use lots of amp hours (40 - 50 per day), more than most, and with the combination of 320 watts of tilting rooftop, and a 160 watt portable panel, rarely need the portable. When I do, it saves me from having to tilt the roof panels or move out of the shade.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 11:47 AM   #18

Name: Louis
Trailer: Big Foot
Alaska
Solar Panels

I have two different campers, a Big Foot truck over cab in Alaska and an Aliner which I keep in California. I have two 100 watt panels on each. I use industrial strength velcro to hold them to the roof. I can easily well not to easy, remove one to place it at the best angel for the sun. The Big Foot is way up in the roof and too hard to take down. But the Velcro has held them down for several years now with no problems.
captlou3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 01:45 PM   #19

Name: Adam
Trailer: Ventura
British Columbia
How important is getting the panel aimed directly at the sun? Is there some sort of chart showing the charging power at different angles?

Berz out.
Berzerker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 04:18 PM   #20

Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
How important is getting the panel aimed directly at the sun? Is there some sort of chart showing the charging power at different angles?

Berz out.
Research suggests that a 90-degree incident angle to the sun will provide maximum charging and should be maintained if your power use requires optimal power generation at all times. As well, I've read from various sources that eliminating any shadows on a panel is paramount to sustaining a high level of charge. Some have demonstrated that even a small shadow across a panel will significantly reduce voltage generated.

Here's a link that may be helpful to you to calculate angles if you're setting up a long-term generating scenario. I generally just eyeball it.

https://www.esrl.noaa.gov/gmd/grad/solcalc/azel.html

Tags
solar, solar panel