Solar Panel Wiring Choices - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-14-2013, 03:17 PM   #15

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by multi-task View Post
Sigh, why must you drone on about this. For someone who hates the internet you sure make a lot of your own posts. You're presuming you are actually getting the voltage from the panel you expect to get, likely you aren't. Those ARE considered low voltage, look them up, I don't need to hold your hand and explain the brands and their open/closed circuit voltages. Take your attitude over to a solar forum, perhaps your 60 years of experience will school the experts and we'll all have 40ft runs of 18g wire to skip rope with and charge our batteries at the same time.

Hating on someones install is childish and petty. A couple of us responded to the OP to guide them in the right direction and give them ideas. If you don't like someones post keep it to yourself or present your knowledge in a more professional way expectant of your age.

I don't know who is doing this hating you're talking about. All I'm trying to do is correct misinformation. The OP had a question and was instantly filled with misinformation. If it bothers you to be corrected then who has the problem?

Your install is working, doing what you want it to do. That doesn't mean it best install in world. Your misinformation and misunderstanding then coming down hard on someone that attempts to correct the misinformation... well, we'll leave it at that.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:49 PM   #16

Name: Drew
Trailer: Trillium Outback - 2004
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Drew, you are new here. This group will spend days arguing over half full or half empty, party sunny or partly cloudy.

Don't take it seriously or it will pi$$ you off.
Agreed!

Old 05-14-2013, 06:19 PM   #17
Commercial Member

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 1995 Scamp 13
Pennsylvania
Registry
The NEC requires at least 12 AWG copper or equivalent in PV systems operating under 50 volts. The NEC also covers RV's in the US. Also required that all devices in the system be UL listed, not just "recognized".

Agree or not, NEC is the electrical "law of the land".
Old 05-14-2013, 06:27 PM   #18

Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinPete View Post
The NEC requires at least 12 AWG copper or equivalent in PV systems operating under 50 volts. The NEC also covers RV's in the US. Also required that all devices in the system be UL listed, not just "recognized".

Interesting. Truck manufacturers (Freightliner, Peterbuilt, Kenworth, etc.) require minimum 18 awg for most wiring. Don't quote me on this one, but I believe CAN BUSS runs on 22 awg.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:27 PM   #19

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinPete View Post

I'm envisioning a black helicopter with the letters "NEC" on the side....whump.....whump.....whump......
Old 05-14-2013, 06:42 PM   #20

Oregon
Registry
Furthermore the NEC website doesn't say anything about RVs or Trailers. It does apply to RV Parks. Please report chapter and paragraph number.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:44 PM   #21
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
I'm past arguing over this.
And I'm tired of people who substitute "Internet experts" of unknown credential for actual knowledge in the field.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:45 PM   #22

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
The example given was 18 gauge wire over 20' distance, for a voltage loss of .19V. Ok, now make it 35 feet which is what you have (but you are using 10 gauge, of course). Probably closer to .4V, I'm guessing?

I know that my controller takes the panel voltage down to an output of 14.1V. If I ran 35' of 18Ga. wire from controller to battery, wouldn't I get a max of something like 13.7 or 13.8V? How in the world can one expect to top off a typical rv battery with such a low voltage?

My point is simply that large wire and/or a short run seems to make good sense between the controller and the battery. Am I right?
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:50 PM   #23
Commercial Member

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 1995 Scamp 13
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Interesting. Truck manufacturers (Freightliner, Peterbuilt, Kenworth, etc.) require minimum 18 awg for most wiring. Don't quote me on this one, but I believe CAN BUSS runs on 22 awg.
Cars and trucks don't fall under the NEC, nor do trains, boats, and aircraft. RV's do. There is some talk of electrical inspectors allowing conductor sizing by calculations (using NEC tables), but most will fall to the safe side and pick the clearly-stated minimum size. NEC is a whole other kettle of dead horses, don't get me started on arc-faults!

I don't think there are too many thorough inspections of RV wiring, because some I've seen are a dog's breakfast. I haven't even gotten my Scamp home yet, and I've already got the spools of wire out! Going to be adding an 85-watt panel to mine, will document the process with my electrician relative who teaches the PV course looking over my shoulder to make sure I do it right.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:57 PM   #24
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Sorry, I don't have an ignore list.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:58 PM   #25

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
And I'm tired of people who substitute "Internet experts" of unknown credential for actual knowledge in the field.
You are an "internet expert of unknown credential" as far as I know.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:17 PM   #26

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Furthermore the NEC website doesn't say anything about RVs or Trailers. It does apply to RV Parks. Please report chapter and paragraph number.
Article 551.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:18 PM   #27

Oswego, NY
Registry
Try Article 551 of the NEC.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:20 PM   #28

Oswego, NY
Registry
Probably shouldn't try to post from my phone!