Solar Panels - On Roof or Portable- What’s Best - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2018, 03:02 PM   #21

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
@ Jon & Walt. Thanks for responding to my microwave inquiry. You’ve provided good info for future planning. I do have a propane stove & oven, so I am set for coffee and scrambled eggs. I did purchase a stovetop pressure cooker which I can use for main entrees as well as rice. I also have small pots to steam veggies and heat u for canned beans. The advantage of a microwave is speed & less pots to wash.

To tell the truth I would have been surprised if I could use the microwave for say 10-15 minutes and still have energy to spare for the rest of the night. At home we use the microwave on a daily basis.

I have been known to defrost frozen entrees (Heathy Choice, of course). So if I need the microwave longer than a [to be calculated] number of minutes, I’ll need to fire up the generator or resign myself to washing more pots and pans.
Old 08-05-2018, 11:34 PM   #22

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21C
Tennessee
Thumbs up solar

Personally I wish the industry wd put solar panels into the top of a trailer if possible. That said, we didn't have room on top of our 17' Casita to mount a panel, (vents, AC, awning, etc) so we went w the factory offered 120W portable setup...wired in and ready to go. Works for us and we can move it to get most sun easily.
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 03:59 AM   #23

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
I built a simple box with a door at the back to just fit the 100W panel. I put some rubber film on the inside of this cedar box to keep it somewhat waterproof but water will not hurt the panel anyway. I have a hasp and lock on the door. This I strap to the top of my chevy Blazer while traveling. Weight about 30lbs when panel is inside.
When at camp I open door, slide out panel, hook the 25ft long wire to it and plug it into the plug I have on my Boler. I then have a 25ft long 3/16 coated cable with loops on the end. I first loop one end around frame of Boler then I drilled a hole in the frame of solar panel and into this hole I placed a pad lock and the other loop goes into this.

Safe? believe me if they want it they'll take it but so far SAFE.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 02:29 PM   #24

Name: Josh & Sonya
Trailer: '97 Casita SD 17; 03 Bigfoot 25RQ
Arizona
Solar panel on Casita 17ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred762 View Post
Personally I wish the industry wd put solar panels into the top of a trailer if possible. That said, we didn't have room on top of our 17' Casita to mount a panel, (vents, AC, awning, etc) so we went w the factory offered 120W portable setup...wired in and ready to go. Works for us and we can move it to get most sun easily.

Unfortunately, I don't have a photo of what I'm about to describe. Last winter we noticed a Casita in an RV lot in Yuma (very unusual), coming back from a hike with friends, so we stopped in to have a look. It had a solar panel mounted on the driver side of the trailer, covering the dinette window. Pretty clever set up - it was on hinges so that for travel, it could be locked in the down position (covering window). When camped, it could be lifted to catch the sun, and also provide shade for the window.

One concern would be getting hit by rocks while driving down the road. Might be a way to figure out a protective (but still light) cover for the panel. Other concern would be side to side weight distribution.

Still, seemed pretty clever in terms of multi-purpose utility.
Josh and Sonya W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 03:06 PM   #25

Name: karen
Trailer: 2018 Casita Spirit Deluxe
OR
Microwave on Solar Power?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
I have a 160W roof mounted panel and a 100W portable with a long extension cord (10 gauge).
I find the combination very flexible for almost all situations. I also have a 1500W inverter that I use for a microwave and other AC appliances.
The portable is a Renogy suitcase and I just lay it flat on the floor while travelling.

Walt
Hi Walt,

As I ponder the options for my 17' SD Casita, I am liking your set up. Basically, if you are able to power your microwave with your set up, that only leaves air conditioning for me to have to manage. Will your set up work for me with my 31 AGM battery or do you have more battery power in yours? thx
karwask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 03:11 PM   #26

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
if I'm camping in the open, without constraints, I like to park with the nose of the trailer facing just east of due north, so the 'street side' of the trailer is facing the sunset, so the trailer itself provides late afternoon shade, and the awning provides mid day shade.

so the logical place to put a side mount panel like you describe would be on the BACK of the trailer...
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 04:52 PM   #27

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
yeah, both....

like so many others I started with one portable...but I tended to move every day (big world out there)....so I was not getting anything while the sun was at its most powerful....so I added some on rooftop (and they are just taped on the roof, on little "feet" for cooling...with "safety straps"...check 'em every spring...the original tape job is still holding years later)

as to where to store the portable???? you trailer will "tell" you that...
Attached Thumbnails
solarsto2.jpg   solarsto.jpg  

Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 05:54 PM   #28

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
When I got my 70W portable panel, I kept the box it came in. For storage I slip it into the box and stand it up behind the driver seat.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 06:31 PM   #29

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Solar panels

I don’t know much about solar panels, just that ours on the roof works well for us. However, while at the Rocky Mountain rally I did take a couple pictures of a diy solar panel mount to track the sun with a little attention.
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
5AB77FCF-DA56-4840-B416-DEE569E3085F.jpg   73CF880C-B88F-4446-94ED-E222977DEEA6.jpg  

Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 08:47 PM   #30

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Karen
The determining factor is the total kwh rating of your battery(ies). Your single form 31 will be better than the more common form 24 battery in most Casitas but less than my two 6v golf cart batteries. In have read several posts where Casitas have been equipped with two batteries but I don't know the details.

Walt
Old 08-07-2018, 02:35 PM   #31

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I don’t know much about solar panels, just that ours on the roof works well for us. However, while at the Rocky Mountain rally I did take a couple pictures of a diy solar panel mount to track the sun with a little attention.
Iowa Dave
I wonder how much those bungee cords cut into the output of the panel? Definitely some shading going on. Really cool idea though.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 11:25 AM   #32

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franswa View Post
like so many others I started with one portable...but I tended to move every day (big world out there)....so I was not getting anything while the sun was at its most powerful....so I added some on rooftop (and they are just taped on the roof, on little "feet" for cooling...with "safety straps"...check 'em every spring...the original tape job is still holding years later)

as to where to store the portable???? you trailer will "tell" you that...
What kind of "little feet" did you use. Do you have any pictures of how you mounted them?
Markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 05:30 PM   #33

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Wish I could post picts but I just got some 3/4 inch cpvc water pipe and drilled frame of solar panel and holes on one end of the pipe.... Pipe was cut with a picked end so it can dig in the dirt,,,and also up from the ground I had a tee in each leg so a cross member of the same material could be glued in.
Then with the top attached to the inside / back of frame. I extended the legs out so the panel was at about a 45 degree angel and put a chain back from the leg to the frame and held it there.
All bolts were brass and the legs fold right into the recess of the Zamp 100W panel.
I then built a box so it would just fit inside with a door on one end and I have this box strapped to the top of my Blazer with a lock on it for traveling.
I have a 20 ft long 1/4 coated cable that I can lock to the panel back to the frame of the trailer while in use.
Works great and do not need to move it because I use such little battery power it charges it to 100% even in ambient sun light.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 07:54 PM   #34

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
feet....

feet were just doubled up pieces of neoprene/rubber, sticky on one side...cut to keep the corners off the roof....probably not "enough" ventilation for the desert (1/2" ?, see wire running under left one) ...but enough for the temps I experience... I think...

this happens/happened to me all the time.....I put something up quick or build something as a "test" with the intention of doing something "proper and permanent" later after I prove out the concept......years later I'm still living with the "test".....LOL
Attached Thumbnails
spnew4.jpg  
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar, solar panel