solarblvd 160w folding solar panel - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2014, 09:28 AM   #1
OKE

Name: JOE
Trailer: BIGFOOT 25RQ
Oklahoma
Registry
solarblvd 160w folding solar panel

Have been looking at solar for awhile and was looking for input on the 160w foldable from solar blvd.
Solarblvd
OKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:54 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
I have one. Here is a review I wrote a few days after picking it up.

Since that time I've had the panel blown by the wind 20' from the trailer & it survived. I have had a problem with flickering LED lights, however it may be caused by the interaction of my built in panel controller & the portable panel charging at the same time. Since there is no easy way to shut off the built in panel, I can't be sure that is the problem. Not too much of a problem since I don't need the LEDs when the panel is producing power...
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 04:33 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 19 ft 2010
Registry
I have the 120 volt version of the portable solar panel from solarblvd. After reading Jon's review I have purchased the smaller version. I think Jon has an excellent discussion of the unit. I am awaiting more items to install mine so cannot speak to output and so forth.

Two observations I would add. Mine came with an instruction sheet and it gave some specifications for the controller that is built onto the panel, it looses a bit in translation but I believe it is a single stage charger, it will charge until 14.0 volts are reached and then shut off. The exact phrase is: "voltage of stop power supply 10.8, voltage of resume power supply 12.6 and voltage of stop charge 14.0". My opinion of the controller is pretty low, I knew that going in and immediately put the controller into my electronics recycling. The low charge rate, if used frequently will have an adverse affect on your battery(s) by undercharging it/them and of course you are never filling the battery for your usage.

Jon mentioned this but I was surprised by the weight. The instruction sheet states 11.5 kg or 25.3 lbs. The 160 volt model will obviously weigh more.
Paul Braun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar, solar panel