Some more simple mods that make it ours - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2011, 04:42 PM   #1

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Some more simple mods that make it ours

Some of the mods to our trailer are the same as Donna's (bar faucet and knife rack). Also a couple of new wrinkles--bath towels from ChinaMart for curtains; MBA vinyl as a cheap and cheerful color change for those horrible melamine board doors in the Burro (navy blue in the master "suite", loden green in the dinette); new front dinette table top and boat seats which aren't quite the Captain's chairs in a Casita but do give better back support than converted "bedding".

jack
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00121.jpg   DSC00124.jpg  

DSC00128.jpg   DSC00136.jpg  

rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 04:50 PM   #2

Delaware
More stuff that makes a difference

Silverware drawer convenient to the table; fridge door map of DelMarVa which tells us where we're at or where we're from depending . . . . Laminated to the same plastic lam that's on the table so it's reversible should the yen for wood grain exceed the need for cartography.

And (drumroll) Last and certainly Least, the Wonderful Dogbone Holdback Holdback. I'll leave it to ya'll to figure out this artifact of OCD.

jack
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00134.jpg   DSC00133.jpg  

DSC00135.jpg   DSC00143.jpg  

Old 07-30-2011, 05:30 PM   #3

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Where did you get the drawer? Is the dogbone stainless?

Thank you

Norm
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 05:54 PM   #4

Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Where did you get the drawer? Is the dogbone stainless?

Thank you

Norm

The metal mesh drawer is from Amazon. The Mrs. is "Prime-d" and ready to shop! Meant to go in a kitchen cabinet drawer like the plastic ones. The ledgers which the drawer runs on and the barrel bolt courtesy of the resident tinker. Wife luvs it; her idea.

The dogbone is a collar ID from a dog which long ago "crossed the rainbow bridge" as the sentimental would have it. I assume it's just Rhodium-plated steel. The holdback is SS because I replaced a badly rusted zinc-plated one and thought it was worth the difference. Replaced the upper left-hand pan head with a machine bolt threaded lag, hex nut on top of that, then the dogtag and a jam nut tightened enuf to let the "dogbone latch" rotate.

jack
Old 07-30-2011, 09:46 PM   #5

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Door colors are great, but I'm not familiar with the term 'MBA vinyl'. Is that like a self-stick (contact paper) type of material?
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 09:53 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Looks great! AND uniquely your own!!!!!!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 01:30 AM   #7

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
So it's a hold back for the hold back courtesy of Milkbone, cool.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 03:39 AM   #8

Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
Door colors are great, but I'm not familiar with the term 'MBA vinyl'. Is that like a self-stick (contact paper) type of material?

It's a brand of sign vinyl but like a lot of high-spec stuff, it can used as "shelfpaper" and believe me it's superior to that as the stickum has a progressive tack or bite which improves after application, wraps around corners without voids and is all around pretty forgiving. All the prep needed on a rectangular object is a slight breaking of corners with a sanding block and a bit of degreasing with whathaveyou: Bestine, Windex. I didn't go crazy with the stuff; the locker doors are what they are so the vinyl is trimmed flush to the back and the white strawboard shows when open. There were so many things wrong with this trailer cosmetically (and enuf functional shortfalls that require the application of money) to make this a cheap, quick interim solution to dirt, scars, and monochrome blahs.

jack
Old 07-31-2011, 05:06 AM   #9

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
Are the boat seats mounted in any way or just sitting on top?
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 05:37 AM   #10
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I always enjoy seeing the clever things folks do to their trailer. Thank you for taking the time to share yours. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:14 AM   #11

Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
Are the boat seats mounted in any way or just sitting on top?
The ball-bearing swivel bases are bolted thru the locker top and also thru a 1/2" plywd reinforcement pad inside the locker. Limit of width of the plywood is the width on the diagonal of the locker opening underneath (about 34" on both sides and the depth is whatever it takes to have reinforcement out near the edge of the locker deck where
rigidity is contributed by the flanges formed with vertical surfaces of the liner. I first thought to adhere the plywd to the underside of the locker decks with Liquid Nails and made dead men and wedges to hold the plywd up while I drilled and bolted the swivels, then moved these to the perimeter of the plywd for support while the LN cured. I didn't clean the glass inside with acetone and the reinforcement on the driver's side let go the first time I sat down. I already had a backup plan: 1/4" carriage bolts thru the glass deck and plywd at 5 locations around the perimeter. No flex or danger of cracking now. The seats are the cheapest boat seat you will find at Eastern Marine; cushions by WallyWorld.

Sag in large horizontal surfaces is a repeating theme in the Burro. When I worked on glass sailing cruisers, we backed up horizontal surfaces with sheets of end-grain balsa and more glass or solid glass sheet reinforcement. None of that here. Found the same problem in the overhead lockers in galley. I could see the sag caused by the range hood. As I wanted to suspend microwave next door, I used aluminum extrusions as stiffeners inside the lockers thru which to bolt the microwave. Despite suspending another 29# from that surface, the sag is gone and the range hood parallels the countertop beneath. Same with the galley countertop. Also sagging in the transverse direction and showing big gap at sink flange and gas range. I will resort to the same solution for that; aluminum u-channel as a stiffener inside from front to back of cntrtp and in this case stainless carriage bolts to attach as there is always moisture near sink. It might be that good surface prep to undersurfaces (abrasion, acetone cleaning) would allow the use of thickened epoxy to mount these stiffeners but I'm happy enuf with the few carriage bolt heads which are exposed.

jack
Old 07-20-2013, 05:54 PM   #12

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
Jack
my wife says the utensil drawer tray, that we have in our kitchen, ( of which I was unaware ) is the one your wife bought. bought at one of the local retail stores. I hope this helps others find one. I love what you have done with your Egg!

Later Kenny
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 06:08 PM   #13

Delaware
Thanks Kenny.

jack
Old 07-20-2013, 06:34 PM   #14

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
This gives me a few great ideas also...........thanks.

and Thanks to Kenny for bumping this thread.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:04 PM   #15
Nat

Name: Nathan
Trailer: 75 Boler
B.C.
I love the green, its very clean.
Nat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:11 PM   #16

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Very nice job. Thanks for sharing. I particularly like the seat and utensil drawer.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:19 PM   #17

Name: Bernard
Trailer: 2007 uhaul ct13
Quebec
I love the swivel chairs..i've been thinkering on a setup similar for mu uhaul..hope you dont mind if i use the idea!?
tartosuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:46 PM   #18

Delaware
I got the idea from Per Walthenson, another Burro owner. I think he used some part of a bentwood rocker. I've also seen photos of upholstered office chairs with swivel base removed similarly installed on a raised deck. Make sure you mock up whatever you decide on. Get it comfortable before you nail it down. The usual comfort shortfall with convertible dinettes is that the cushions don't allow one to sit in reasonable proximity to table with adequate back support.

jack