Source for a 110v exterior outlet - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-20-2012, 08:14 AM   #1

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Indiana
Source for a 110v exterior outlet

Can anyone point me toward a weatherproof 110vac outlet that I can mount in the side of my Scamp. Single outlet, the smaller the better.

Thanks, Tom

Old 10-20-2012, 08:27 AM   #2

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Like this? Outdoor Receptacle for 110 Volt - PPL Motor Homes

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:33 AM   #3

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I think you may need the double outlet because it has to be a GFI outlet and I have not seen a single gang GFI outlet, just double. Both of the above items are male outlets, I thought you wanted a female outlet?
Old 10-20-2012, 09:00 AM   #4

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I think you may need the double outlet because it has to be a GFI outlet and I have not seen a single gang GFI outlet, just double. Both of the above items are male outlets, I thought you wanted a female outlet?

You could power the outside outlet off a GFCI elsewhere and have it protected.

I think these are female outlets. of course it has been a long time since my 6th grade sex education class.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:16 AM   #5

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post

I think these are female outlets. of course it has been a long time since my 6th grade sex education class.
the description states for Donna's link says "This Outdoor receptacle 110 is a MALE 15 amp plug and has a weatherproof plate and cover. This outdoor receptacle for 110 volt is to be used with a three-prong, 15 amp female end of an extension cord. 1 per pack."

If you are referring to my post then yes, they are female. It is unclear at present what the op was asking for. If he wants to bring power in, you need a male end, if he wants to let power out, a female end.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:19 AM   #6

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I simply went down to my local Lowes and bought an outside outlet and mounted it to the bottom of floor of the trailer near the rear bumper. I simply drilled a hole through the floor under a dinette and wired it to an existing dinette outlet.

It is a weather proof outlet, a double that looks similar to the PPL outlet that Donna referenced, though less costly. One can chose to put a GFI outlet in it, I did not. My outlet is a dual male outlet.

I mostly use it when I am working on the trailer.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:23 AM   #7

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
I too would use a double GFI plug. GFI is code here for outside plugs. Ours mostly get used for our little electrical kettle we bring along for coffee and hot drinks when hooked up to the grid, or for charging stuff when we are sitting around outside.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:23 AM   #8

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
the description states for Donna's link says "This Outdoor receptacle 110 is a MALE 15 amp plug and has a weatherproof plate and cover. This outdoor receptacle for 110 volt is to be used with a three-prong, 15 amp female end of an extension cord. 1 per pack."

If you are referring to my post then yes, they are female. It is unclear at present what the op was asking for. If he wants to bring power in, you need a male end, if he wants to let power out, a female end.
Good point. I was going off OP, which was unclear, but I interpreted it to mean female.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:26 AM   #9

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Gfci

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyboyTJ View Post
Can anyone point me toward a weatherproof 110vac outlet that I can mount in the side of my Scamp. Single outlet, the smaller the better.

Thanks, Tom
An outside outlet needs to be GFCI protected . You could use a single receptacle protected by a GFCI circuit breaker but the breaker costs about 5 times what a GFCI receptacle costs . A standard single receptacle, duplex receptacle or GFCI receptacle all require the same size opening (single gang) All single gang weatherproof covers are the same dimensions The only size that varies is the size of the receptacle box required based on size and number of wires , type of cable clamps , size & number of devices being installed in the box and whether wires splice or go straight thru the box . Jim is correct a standard GFCI is a duplex receptacle , Square D did make a single GFCI years ago but it had the same dimensions as a duplex GFCI and was not code compliant
Sizes for Electrical devices are pretty standard based on NEC, NEMA and UL standards so small goes second to safety
Old 10-20-2012, 09:34 AM   #10

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
An outside outlet needs to be GFCI protected . You could use a single receptacle protected by a GFCI circuit breaker but the breaker costs about 5 times what a GFCI receptacle costs ........
Alternative:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Old 10-20-2012, 10:55 AM   #11

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I too would use a double GFI plug. GFI is code here for outside plugs.
Jim it is here as well but I was told that if you replace the first plug on the line with a GFI plug (which I did on the one inside my Scamp near the sink) and put the exterior plug in line with it that the exterior one would be protected by the first GFI plug. The paper work that came with the GFI also indicated that. So I taped into the interior GFI plug and just put a water proof box on the exterior plug. Now you have me wondering.......
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:10 AM   #12

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
I simply went down to my local Lowes and bought an outside outlet and mounted it to the bottom of floor of the trailer near the rear bumper. I simply drilled a hole through the floor under a dinette and wired it to an existing dinette outlet.

It is a weather proof outlet, a double that looks similar to the PPL outlet that Donna referenced, though less costly. One can chose to put a GFI outlet in it, I did not. My outlet is a dual male outlet.

I mostly use it when I am working on the trailer.
I hope you meant "Female" unless you are using it as a inlet to power the trailer...
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:16 AM   #13

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
LOL who would have thought that a question regarding outlets could lead to a Saturday morning sex education class
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:19 AM   #14

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Jim it is here as well but I was told that if you replace the first plug on the line with a GFI plug (which I did on the one inside my Scamp near the sink) and put the exterior plug in line with it that the exterior one would be protected by the first GFI plug. The paper work that came with the GFI also indicated that. So I taped into the interior GFI plug and just put a water proof box on the exterior plug. Now you have me wondering.......
Carol, you certainly can do this. Just make certain that you are using the 'load' connections on the GFI plug, and not pigtailing the feed and the load wires. The only problem with this is, that if it trips you may not realize what the problem is at the remote one you installed. This is more prevalent on a house where they do the same thing, and run from one side to the other. Not too much of a problem if you do remember though.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote