Source for a 110v exterior outlet - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2012, 07:14 AM   #1

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Indiana
Source for a 110v exterior outlet

Can anyone point me toward a weatherproof 110vac outlet that I can mount in the side of my Scamp. Single outlet, the smaller the better.

Thanks, Tom
FlyboyTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:27 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Like this? Outdoor Receptacle for 110 Volt - PPL Motor Homes
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:33 AM   #3

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I think you may need the double outlet because it has to be a GFI outlet and I have not seen a single gang GFI outlet, just double. Both of the above items are male outlets, I thought you wanted a female outlet?
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:00 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I think you may need the double outlet because it has to be a GFI outlet and I have not seen a single gang GFI outlet, just double. Both of the above items are male outlets, I thought you wanted a female outlet?

You could power the outside outlet off a GFCI elsewhere and have it protected.

I think these are female outlets. of course it has been a long time since my 6th grade sex education class.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:16 AM   #5

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post

I think these are female outlets. of course it has been a long time since my 6th grade sex education class.
the description states for Donna's link says "This Outdoor receptacle 110 is a MALE 15 amp plug and has a weatherproof plate and cover. This outdoor receptacle for 110 volt is to be used with a three-prong, 15 amp female end of an extension cord. 1 per pack."

If you are referring to my post then yes, they are female. It is unclear at present what the op was asking for. If he wants to bring power in, you need a male end, if he wants to let power out, a female end.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:19 AM   #6

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I simply went down to my local Lowes and bought an outside outlet and mounted it to the bottom of floor of the trailer near the rear bumper. I simply drilled a hole through the floor under a dinette and wired it to an existing dinette outlet.

It is a weather proof outlet, a double that looks similar to the PPL outlet that Donna referenced, though less costly. One can chose to put a GFI outlet in it, I did not. My outlet is a dual male outlet.

I mostly use it when I am working on the trailer.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:23 AM   #7

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I too would use a double GFI plug. GFI is code here for outside plugs. Ours mostly get used for our little electrical kettle we bring along for coffee and hot drinks when hooked up to the grid, or for charging stuff when we are sitting around outside.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
the description states for Donna's link says "This Outdoor receptacle 110 is a MALE 15 amp plug and has a weatherproof plate and cover. This outdoor receptacle for 110 volt is to be used with a three-prong, 15 amp female end of an extension cord. 1 per pack."

If you are referring to my post then yes, they are female. It is unclear at present what the op was asking for. If he wants to bring power in, you need a male end, if he wants to let power out, a female end.
Good point. I was going off OP, which was unclear, but I interpreted it to mean female.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:26 AM   #9

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Gfci

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyboyTJ View Post
Can anyone point me toward a weatherproof 110vac outlet that I can mount in the side of my Scamp. Single outlet, the smaller the better.

Thanks, Tom
An outside outlet needs to be GFCI protected . You could use a single receptacle protected by a GFCI circuit breaker but the breaker costs about 5 times what a GFCI receptacle costs . A standard single receptacle, duplex receptacle or GFCI receptacle all require the same size opening (single gang) All single gang weatherproof covers are the same dimensions The only size that varies is the size of the receptacle box required based on size and number of wires , type of cable clamps , size & number of devices being installed in the box and whether wires splice or go straight thru the box . Jim is correct a standard GFCI is a duplex receptacle , Square D did make a single GFCI years ago but it had the same dimensions as a duplex GFCI and was not code compliant
Sizes for Electrical devices are pretty standard based on NEC, NEMA and UL standards so small goes second to safety
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:34 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
An outside outlet needs to be GFCI protected . You could use a single receptacle protected by a GFCI circuit breaker but the breaker costs about 5 times what a GFCI receptacle costs ........
Alternative:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Old 10-20-2012, 09:55 AM   #11

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I too would use a double GFI plug. GFI is code here for outside plugs.
Jim it is here as well but I was told that if you replace the first plug on the line with a GFI plug (which I did on the one inside my Scamp near the sink) and put the exterior plug in line with it that the exterior one would be protected by the first GFI plug. The paper work that came with the GFI also indicated that. So I taped into the interior GFI plug and just put a water proof box on the exterior plug. Now you have me wondering.......
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:10 AM   #12

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
I simply went down to my local Lowes and bought an outside outlet and mounted it to the bottom of floor of the trailer near the rear bumper. I simply drilled a hole through the floor under a dinette and wired it to an existing dinette outlet.

It is a weather proof outlet, a double that looks similar to the PPL outlet that Donna referenced, though less costly. One can chose to put a GFI outlet in it, I did not. My outlet is a dual male outlet.

I mostly use it when I am working on the trailer.
I hope you meant "Female" unless you are using it as a inlet to power the trailer...
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:16 AM   #13

Registry
LOL who would have thought that a question regarding outlets could lead to a Saturday morning sex education class
Old 10-20-2012, 10:19 AM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Jim it is here as well but I was told that if you replace the first plug on the line with a GFI plug (which I did on the one inside my Scamp near the sink) and put the exterior plug in line with it that the exterior one would be protected by the first GFI plug. The paper work that came with the GFI also indicated that. So I taped into the interior GFI plug and just put a water proof box on the exterior plug. Now you have me wondering.......
Carol, you certainly can do this. Just make certain that you are using the 'load' connections on the GFI plug, and not pigtailing the feed and the load wires. The only problem with this is, that if it trips you may not realize what the problem is at the remote one you installed. This is more prevalent on a house where they do the same thing, and run from one side to the other. Not too much of a problem if you do remember though.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 10-20-2012, 10:23 AM   #15

Registry
Quote:
LOL who would have thought that a question regarding outlets could lead to a Saturday morning sex education class
It is important to learn these things, Carol. Even at the ages of many here.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:37 AM   #16

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	52178

Name:	IMG_0002.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	52179

Name:	IMG_1633.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	359.4 KB
ID:	52180

Name:	IMG_1635.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	219.2 KB
ID:	52181

No matter your going to have to put a hole (wire or receptical) in the body somewhere. I cut a hole for the box and tapped into the 110 v line inside. Depending on your wire configeration inside you could put your GFI on1 ist item on the same line which would protect all down the line or put it in the outside only. Then a weather tight cover on outside. I placed mine on the rear panewl (door side) also put in a double while your at it, woul'nt regret.

Ron
RRJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:43 AM   #17

Registry
Thanks for the clarification Jim I feel better. I believe I got the GFI connected correctly: line (from the panel) and load (to the extra plug). It actually took me a long time to get up the courage to add the connection not due to worry about cutting another hole in the trailer but due to fear of getting the electrical wrong. I have very few electrical appliances and it would be very rare for more than one to be running at the same time so it shouldn't be to hard to figure out which plug/appliance caused the trip should it happened.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:45 AM   #18

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
It is important to learn these things, Carol. Even at the ages of many here.
Yup agree due to the age factor it is possible that some us may have actually forgot the details.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:46 AM   #19

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Indiana
Thanks for all the great ideas. I'm sorry that I didn't specify that I want a female outlet so that I can bring power out to a crock pot.

Tom
FlyboyTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:49 AM   #20

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
here are some pictures for visceral reasons, female and then male
Attached Images