Spare Tire Cover - Matches Tablecloth - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-05-2013, 11:19 PM   #1

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Spare Tire Cover - Matches Tablecloth

[Moderator's note: This thread was split from the Interiors thread.]

Note that the spare tire cover matches the tablecloth. (Yes, I made it out of a second tablecloth!)
Attached Thumbnails
Doug's art and Scamp 026.jpg   Doug's art and Scamp 028.jpg  

Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:52 AM   #2

Name: Marsha
Trailer: Oliver
Michigan
Registry
Spare Tire Cover

Gilda, did you make your tire cover? We're looking to replace the one that came with our trailer.

Old 08-06-2013, 02:48 PM   #3

Name: Steve and Rosemary
Trailer: 89 Scamp 16 ft side toilet
Utah
I'm with Marsha -- do you have a pattern or tips on how to make a new tire cover?
Old 08-12-2013, 11:32 PM   #4

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Yes, I made the spare tire cover and it is "sew" easy! I used a waterproof tablecloth for the fabric. (Buy two so you have a matching picnic tablecloth.) Because mine is lightweight it was easy to sew. If you use heavy vinyl it will be much more difficult to sew, but more sturdy. Because I store my trailer outdoors I put on a utilitarian spare tire cover and only use the decorative one when I am on the road.

Instructions: (read all the way through before beginning)
Simply cut a circle with a 25" diameter. (this allows for a 1/2 " seam all around). Cut a strip 8 1/2" deep and 80" long. Purchase about 6' of 1/4" elastic cord used to make thin bungee cords (available by the foot from a hardware store). Note: If you can't cut a strip 80" long simply piece one together ( I used about 3 strips). Optional: Homemade piping 80" long.

1. Pin the right sides together of the circle and strip.
2. Sew the strip to the circle.(Alternatively, you could sew homemade piping in the seam, but this is a lot of work if you don't sew much.)
3. Optional if you did not sew in the piping: Turn the seam allowance toward the strip and topstitch 1/8" away from seam on the strip. This keeps the seam smooth.
4. Fold edge of strip in about 1" and sew 1/4" from edge, forming a channel for the elastic and put the elastic in the casing as you sew. This is the trickiest part as you have to cinch up the casing as you sew.
5. Try on the cover on the tire, tie and cut the excess cord.
6. There you have it a brand new spare tire cover!
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:15 AM   #5

Name: Marsha
Trailer: Oliver
Michigan
Registry
Sounds easy enough. Thanks Gilda!
Old 08-13-2013, 12:26 PM   #6

Name: Steve and Rosemary
Trailer: 89 Scamp 16 ft side toilet
Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
Yes, I made the spare tire cover and it is "sew" easy! I used a waterproof tablecloth for the fabric. (Buy two so you have a matching picnic tablecloth.) Because mine is lightweight it was easy to sew. If you use heavy vinyl it will be much more difficult to sew, but more sturdy. Because I store my trailer outdoors I put on a utilitarian spare tire cover and only use the decorative one when I am on the road.

Instructions: (read all the way through before beginning)
Simply cut a circle with a 25" diameter. (this allows for a 1/2 " seam all around). Cut a strip 8 1/2" deep and 80" long. Purchase about 6' of 1/4" elastic cord used to make thin bungee cords (available by the foot from a hardware store). Note: If you can't cut a strip 80" long simply piece one together ( I used about 3 strips). Optional: Homemade piping 80" long.

1. Pin the right sides together of the circle and strip.
2. Sew the strip to the circle.(Alternatively, you could sew homemade piping in the seam, but this is a lot of work if you don't sew much.)
3. Optional if you did not sew in the piping: Turn the seam allowance toward the strip and topstitch 1/8" away from seam on the strip. This keeps the seam smooth.
4. Fold edge of strip in about 1" and sew 1/4" from edge, forming a channel for the elastic and put the elastic in the casing as you sew. This is the trickiest part as you have to cinch up the casing as you sew.
5. Try on the cover on the tire, tie and cut the excess cord.
6. There you have it a brand new spare tire cover!
Thanks Gilda -- I think even I can figure that out!