Spare Tire Mount? Serial #? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2012, 07:37 AM   #1

Name: Lethbridge
Trailer: 13' Boler
Alberta
Spare Tire Mount? Serial #?

I just bought a 70's 13' Boler

It came with a spare tire inside. I searched the forum but could not find how to add the mount on the rear of the Boler. I see lots of them have it mounted out back, but how is it mounted

also where can I find the serial number for the trailer? I want to register it soon.
davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:58 AM   #2
Commercial Member

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Princes Auto or Canadian Tire should have a spare tire rack you can buy that mounts to the rear bumper of your Boler. Sometimes the SN# is stamped on the frame near the coupler.
Deb & Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:11 PM   #3

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
The serial number plate is located on the drivers side of the Boler mid way just below the belly band as long as some previous owner has not remaoved it for some reason, which I have seen on lots of Bolers. As far as the spaer tire goes it originally had 3 bolts drilled into the fiberglass on the rear it was not very strong. I had a spare tire/ bike carrier made that bolted to the bumper and the original holes in the back ot the Boler.

Rick
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:28 PM   #4

Name: Derek
Trailer: 1973 boler 13', Earlton On
Ontario
Registry
My '73 Boler had an identification sheet glued on the inside of one of the upper kitchen cabinet doors. It had serial numbers, location of manufacture, and weight information.
glamourpets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:16 AM   #5

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
I find lots of those are missing too, as people update their cabinet doors and dont bother to keep the original door info.

Rick
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:01 AM   #6

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by davis View Post
I see lots of them have it mounted out back, but how is it mounted
For most they were originally mount through the body. Others have made tire mounts out of angle iron to attach to the bumper. You can search the forums for different ways people have done it.

The stock tire mounts work but are not the best fit.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:07 PM   #7

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
my scamp has a plywood reinforcement glassed in inside that the spare tire mount seems to be attached to, seems to work well. might be a little labor intensive but it's worth looking at.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:38 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Just be careful about putting anything on a relatively lightweight rear bumper. A spare (and bracket) weighs quite a bit and with the bumps in the road that tire may crack the bumper. I'd hate to see you go through all the work and leave the spare behind on the road.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:50 PM   #9

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Mounted to the wall the bouncing has no leverage, mounted on a bumper every braking and acceleration will get some pry effect on the arm supporting the tire that runs to the bumper.

It might be worth going to a place that builds/repairs utility trailers. They may have some good ideas for mounting the tire and can professionally advise you on if you need to beef up the bumper to frame connection at all to support the extra load.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote