Spare tire options - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-10-2013, 10:40 AM   #1

Name: Mary
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Maine
Registry
Spare tire options

Has anyone used or considered using one of these spare tire holders to relocate a Scamp spare to the tongue? I'm obsessed with adding some capacity for lightweight storage to the rear of my 13', but everything I've tried thus far blocks either the tail lights or license plate. I hesitate to move the plate because I don't want to drill additional holes or relocate the light for it.

Hope this photo upload works - this item is available at Lowe's for less than $30. As I write this, I wonder too if the spare could be relocated to the "corner"of the bumper...but it might be too low, or block the taillight.

Thanks, folks.
Attached Images

Brandegor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:43 AM   #2

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandegor View Post
Has anyone used or considered using one of these spare tire holders to relocate a Scamp spare to the tongue? I'm obsessed with adding some capacity for lightweight storage to the rear of my 13', but everything I've tried thus far blocks either the tail lights or license plate. I hesitate to move the plate because I don't want to drill additional holes or relocate the light for it.

Hope this photo upload works - this item is available at Lowe's for less than $30. As I write this, I wonder too if the spare could be relocated to the "corner"of the bumper...but it might be too low, or block the taillight.

Thanks, folks.
Since you have a 1981, can I assume you have no graywater tank? if that is the case then mount a "mini spare" under the trailer just forward of the bumper. There is plenty of space ...and even a "fullsized" spare would be barely wider than the height of the frame members.

Old 09-10-2013, 12:09 PM   #3

Name: Mary
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Maine
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Since you have a 1981, can I assume you have no graywater tank? if that is the case then mount a "mini spare" under the trailer just forward of the bumper. There is plenty of space ...and even a "fullsized" spare would be barely wider than the height of the frame members.
Correct, there is no graywater tank. Not to sound like a complete dolt (but I am) how exactly would one do that? I have to say I'm much more comfortable with a full-size spare, but it's a good idea. If you don't mind sharing the nuts and bolts, as it were, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
Brandegor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:59 PM   #4

Name: Walter
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300; Invertec Falcon 190 class b rv
Washington
Carrying a Spare Tire on the Front Frame

Where to carry the spare tire on our '76 Trillium 1300 also posed a problem for us. The previous owner was carrying it in the cabin. There was a rack on the rear for a storage box. I was able to mount the spare flat on top of the front frame in front of the 2 propane tanks using 2 pieces of 2X4 with a hole drilled in them and a 5/8" long bolt (cut from thread stock ) holding the pieces together. The top wood piece was cut to lie inside the rim and the bottom piece had small wood pieces to hold it in the frame v. It works very nicely. Hope that helps.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:51 PM   #5

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Correct, there is no graywater tank. Not to sound like a complete dolt (but I am) how exactly would one do that? I have to say I'm much more comfortable with a full-size spare, but it's a good idea. If you don't mind sharing the nuts and bolts, as it were, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
Go to your local salvage yard and get the spare bracket from under a vehicle which has a cable type spare carrier.
get the complete bracket and install it between the frame rails on your Scamp.
I have not done this particular mod but I'm sure it could be done without much effort. I have spent a lifetime scrounging salvage yards for project ideas with great success.
I did do a similar mod on a utility trailer which involved a simple carriage bolt through the floor with a small plate and a big wingnut that worked well also.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:38 PM   #6

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
I wouldn't hang anything more than about 5 lbs off the bumper of a Scamp

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote