Spare tire options - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-10-2013, 10:40 AM   #1
Member
 
Name: Mary
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Maine
Posts: 41
Registry
Spare tire options

Has anyone used or considered using one of these spare tire holders to relocate a Scamp spare to the tongue? I'm obsessed with adding some capacity for lightweight storage to the rear of my 13', but everything I've tried thus far blocks either the tail lights or license plate. I hesitate to move the plate because I don't want to drill additional holes or relocate the light for it.



Hope this photo upload works - this item is available at Lowe's for less than $30. As I write this, I wonder too if the spare could be relocated to the "corner"of the bumper...but it might be too low, or block the taillight.

Thanks, folks.
Attached Images
 
__________________

__________________
Mary & The RG
1981 Scamp 13'
2001 Subaru Outback
Brandegor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:43 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,046
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandegor View Post
Has anyone used or considered using one of these spare tire holders to relocate a Scamp spare to the tongue? I'm obsessed with adding some capacity for lightweight storage to the rear of my 13', but everything I've tried thus far blocks either the tail lights or license plate. I hesitate to move the plate because I don't want to drill additional holes or relocate the light for it.



Hope this photo upload works - this item is available at Lowe's for less than $30. As I write this, I wonder too if the spare could be relocated to the "corner"of the bumper...but it might be too low, or block the taillight.

Thanks, folks.
Since you have a 1981, can I assume you have no graywater tank? if that is the case then mount a "mini spare" under the trailer just forward of the bumper. There is plenty of space ...and even a "fullsized" spare would be barely wider than the height of the frame members.
__________________

__________________
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:09 PM   #3
Member
 
Name: Mary
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Maine
Posts: 41
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Since you have a 1981, can I assume you have no graywater tank? if that is the case then mount a "mini spare" under the trailer just forward of the bumper. There is plenty of space ...and even a "fullsized" spare would be barely wider than the height of the frame members.
Correct, there is no graywater tank. Not to sound like a complete dolt (but I am) how exactly would one do that? I have to say I'm much more comfortable with a full-size spare, but it's a good idea. If you don't mind sharing the nuts and bolts, as it were, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
__________________
Mary & The RG
1981 Scamp 13'
2001 Subaru Outback
Brandegor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:59 PM   #4
Member
 
Name: Walter
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300; Invertec Falcon 190 class b rv
Washington
Posts: 75
Carrying a Spare Tire on the Front Frame

Where to carry the spare tire on our '76 Trillium 1300 also posed a problem for us. The previous owner was carrying it in the cabin. There was a rack on the rear for a storage box. I was able to mount the spare flat on top of the front frame in front of the 2 propane tanks using 2 pieces of 2X4 with a hole drilled in them and a 5/8" long bolt (cut from thread stock ) holding the pieces together. The top wood piece was cut to lie inside the rim and the bottom piece had small wood pieces to hold it in the frame v. It works very nicely. Hope that helps.
__________________
georgewa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:51 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,046
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandegor View Post
Correct, there is no graywater tank. Not to sound like a complete dolt (but I am) how exactly would one do that? I have to say I'm much more comfortable with a full-size spare, but it's a good idea. If you don't mind sharing the nuts and bolts, as it were, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
Go to your local salvage yard and get the spare bracket from under a vehicle which has a cable type spare carrier.
get the complete bracket and install it between the frame rails on your Scamp.
I have not done this particular mod but I'm sure it could be done without much effort. I have spent a lifetime scrounging salvage yards for project ideas with great success.
I did do a similar mod on a utility trailer which involved a simple carriage bolt through the floor with a small plate and a big wingnut that worked well also.
__________________
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:38 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Posts: 24,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandegor View Post
Hope this photo upload works - this item is available at Lowe's for less than $30. As I write this, I wonder too if the spare could be relocated to the "corner"of the bumper...but it might be too low, or block the taillight.
I wouldn't hang anything more than about 5 lbs off the bumper of a Scamp
__________________

__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lets see some spare tire cover options and pics Mcmarkrazz Modifications, Alterations and Updates 3 09-02-2013 10:11 AM
Tire Options Peter Bond Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 8 05-28-2009 09:16 PM
Tire Options? (in Canada) David Swinnard Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 15 05-23-2008 05:01 PM
under spare tire christineb Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 10 01-25-2007 06:58 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.