Speakers - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2012, 07:20 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Speakers

Hello All,

I just finished making a new table with small drawers underneath for our Casita. As my wife and I were sitting at it and thinking of other mods we started to discuss Speakers....

The Ipod charger speaker system we have been using takes up alot of space.

What have others done to connect computers/ipods/mp3 players to their camper for playing music?

I was thinking of computer speakers mounted to the underside of cabinets and then plug them into the outlet.

Let the thoughts, pics, and brainstorming, begin

Thanks in advance for all your help here

Don
Don W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:57 AM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
ipod/iphone/mp3 player

I added an aftermarket car stereo that has front inputs (many do now) for a shade over $100 in a West Marine boat housing under the rear cabinet, then speakers on each side. The fiberglass routes easily with a roto-tool. Speakers need to be a shade smaller than 6 inch to fit between the curves at the corners. Advantage is the iphone now charges without AC.
Attached Thumbnails
stereo.jpg  
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:34 AM   #3

Trailer: Casita
West Marine speaker
Attached Thumbnails
W marine speaker.JPG  
LK Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 04:56 AM   #4

Those look great. How did you power the West Marine Speakers, and Tractors1, how did you power the system?

Don
Old 04-05-2012, 08:17 AM   #5
Commercial Member

Oregon
speaker/stereo power

The stereo is a car deck; I just tapped into the 12V power lines inside the cabinet that run to the 12V plug-in fitting under the cabinet next to the antenna switch. Speakers are just regular car speakers which are powered by the stereo - setup just runs off 12V, no AC required. Front jacks on the stereo are plug-in inputs, one USB type for a memory stick/IPod/IPhone, and the other is a 3mm audio plug. What wifey likes is that she can output Pandora from the IPhone to the stereo. Also has a remote so you can control the stereo without having to climb over the sleeping area to get at it.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:58 AM   #6

Trailer: Casita
West Marine speakers

Now I'll be the first to admit that I'm not exactly on the cutting edge of technology. I truly don't understand Ipods, I pads, Android phones, Iphones, G4, G3 and all of that stuff. Regarding powering up the speakers, that doesn't make much sense to me either.
I installed this radio as a last resort. I knew that I was wasting my time looking for an 8 track. I had hoped for a casette deck, so I could use the casettes from my tow vehicle.
I really didn't "power up" the West Marine speakers. I just connected them, and they work.
Attached Thumbnails
radio.JPG  
LK Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:21 AM   #7
Commercial Member

Oregon
8 track/cassette player

If you hop on eBay and enter "car cassette player" or "car 8 track player" there are many listed for $40-$70. Happy hunting!
Old 04-05-2012, 09:38 AM   #8

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
8 track? Does the ghost of William Lear still haunt this place? (Yes - THAT Bill Lear - one of the inventors of the first car radio, inventor of the 8 track (marketed under the name LEARJET) and, of course, the Lear Jet aircraft!
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:56 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I have two cars that have 8 track decks. Good thing I have a couple of brown paper sacks of tapes!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:34 PM   #10

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
I have an ipod Touch, keep going back and forth between a car stereo system (head unit) or a portable radio/ipod unit.

Altec Lansing has a fairly decent sounding unit with a small footprint, and affordable price tag. Amazon.com: Altec Lansing iMT620 inMotion Classic Portable iPod Dock with Rechargeable Battery and FM Tuner: MP3 Players & Accessories

If you want enhanced audio sound, you'll probably want to go with a car stereo system that accepts your iPod.

They are now coming out with "head units" which include a built in USB receptor. Using a USB cable, you can plug your iPod directly into the system and it will charge your iPod and play music at the same time. The audio speakers are fairly good (as with the "head unit" the more you pay, the less distortion), and they are designed for travel.

It is a 12 volt system (for us boon dockers), and you get FM/AM radio (which is important to me when on the road).

Remember you will be cutting into wood, so the big question: do you want the speakers to face down (onto your dinette or bed) or face outward towards the rest of your cabin ... or both?

Also, where do you place the equipment with respect to your power source? And ... audio needs.

This isn't really a portable system, so you will need to think about how long you will have the trailer. If you are starting from "scratch", and decide to have a audio shop do the installation (which involves cutting into wood) ... the install will cost as much if not more $$ than the head unit and speakers.

BTW, I like the marine speakers. It's just that they seem bulky and I'd rather have built in speakers.

I would install a auto audio or marine speakers over computer speakers simply because the former are designed for road travel.

Another great thread!
Old 04-05-2012, 11:26 PM   #11

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I have been considering these:
Boss Audio Systems MCK 1305 AM/FM/MP3 Marine Digital Media Receiver with Speakers | Bass Pro Shops

But I can't find any online reviews. A bad sign in my opinion.
They have a four speaker system for ten dollars more.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:32 AM   #12

Great feedback everyone. I keep going back and forth between a full stereo and something like this.

POLY PLANAR MP3 Kit For Small Craft at West Marine

it has speakers, amp, and then just jack for the ipod, downside is it will not charge your ipod while you play, but it avoids having a stereo hang down.

Thoughts?
Old 04-07-2012, 09:31 AM   #13

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
I have an ipod Touch, keep going back and forth between a car stereo system (head unit) or a portable radio/ipod unit.

Altec Lansing has a fairly decent sounding unit with a small footprint, and affordable price tag. Amazon.com: Altec Lansing iMT620 inMotion Classic Portable iPod Dock with Rechargeable Battery and FM Tuner: MP3 Players & Accessories...

Another great thread!
The Altec Lansing looks like a great deal if you want a portable system.

I have a Sony RDP XF 100iP docking station with the same capabilities, however the FM reception is terrible. I often need to resort to plugging in a portable radio into the aux input when the internal tuner can't pick up any stations. One advantage of the external radio - since it is a shortwave, AM/FM radio I have a greater choice than the FM only tuners built into most docks.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:03 PM   #14

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
got a nice little set of stereo computer speakers at best buy for $13.
just gonna keep them under the seat unless we want stereo music,,,which is a few times per year. mostly i play my ukulele , or dulcimer.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:23 PM   #15

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
The Altec Lansing looks like a great deal if you want a portable system.

I have a Sony RDP XF 100iP docking station with the same capabilities, however the FM reception is terrible. I often need to resort to plugging in a portable radio into the aux input when the internal tuner can't pick up any stations. One advantage of the external radio - since it is a shortwave, AM/FM radio I have a greater choice than the FM only tuners built into most docks.
I have been researching this since a got my trailer. I was about to purchase the Sony 100iP, and then read several reviews which indicated that it has seriously damaged iPods docked to it.

The Altec Lansing has a decent sound for it's size and price, but it is a compromise solution. BTW, there is a really great sounding Altec Lansing boombox, but it is too large for my trailer.

Depending on where you camp, reception can be problematic. I would love to get a portable iPod docking/FM radio which can be plugged into an exterior antenna. But, I have not been able to find such a product.

The auto stereo technology has advanced over the last couple of years. And as I mentioned before "head units" now have USB receptors on their faceplates. My auto stereo shop suggests a wait and "hear" approach to determine if I need to install a marine antenna.

I am a bit of a audiophile, and I would like to enjoy quality sound in the trailer. So, I am once again leaning towards an auto stereo system.

My main concern with this approach is the installation cost which will be substantial, coupled with the fact that I cannot take this system with me should I decide to trade up to another trailer. Also, the installers had better do an excellent job as they will be cutting holes into my beautiful wood cabinets.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:46 PM   #16

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
OK I can't stay out of this any longer,Help Me!

Jane,They have been making car units for a long time with both iPod connection and control and other external input selection to enable us to connect a decent source to a stereo.
Also there is nothing about installing a good system that needs it to be intrusive or "Cut In" in any way to our trailers?
In fact the opposite will likely deliver the dream of "Audiophile" sound much easier and cheaper than will flush mounting them.

A speaker is a system which is a balance between the drivers and the box. The box figures into the equation in a huge way and an install without considering the box as part of the system may or may not yield good results.

On the other hand using a great box speaker will always give you a great box speaker even if the environment for it is not ideal. It will be much easier to know it will perform well and also likely require little or no cutting to install at all.

With that in mind and knowing that the ONLY part of any system you actually Hear is the speaker it becomes important to find a speaker you like first.
Speakers simply move air and the faster they can move it the better they sound in general. I know this seems an abstract concept but it is really fairly simple to grasp but harder to find.

Men and women also have different ability to Hear and resolve a full range of sound and typically Women have much better range of hearing than Men,just the truth.

Most tiny speakers sound like tiny speakers and most people do not or can not tell the difference really. People know when they like sound but rarely know why.

If you buy tiny speakers there will be no bass response and the sound will be thin and weak so some tiny speakers are teamed with bigger speakers to be able to make Bass,these take more space and space is tough to find in our rigs of course.

The only way to find something you will like,if it matters is to listen to some speakers and go from there.

I have to stop and be somewhere but I will get back later and suggest some actual speaker models I use all the time which each deliver more sound than you think they will for the size.

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:05 PM   #17

Name: Tim
Trailer: Escape
Rhode Island
I have a Tivoli table radio model one. AM/FM, input for my IPhone, runs on AC or DC, inputs for AM and FM antenna, and great sound. Monaural speaker but stereo with headphones. Pricey at about $150 (US) but a nice radio. Might be an installation free option.
OneTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:10 PM   #18

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
When we get our Scamp (hope-hope-hope-eyes on a good one Right Now!) we'll put a SiriusXM antenna on top and feed it into the body. Not sure of an amp/speaker set right now, but we have enough spare stuff around here to build most anything. We have one receiving unit that we move between various vehicles and the house.

That Sirius was great on our last trip out west to Utah. Listening to NPR and the BBC whilst 100 miles beyond the ends of the world was a real treat. Sure beats listening to the dreck that was on the local stations!
fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:58 AM   #19

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
The sound system is one thing that I have yet to do on our trailer. I am also interested on hearing from other RVers as to what they use. I have been spoiled in the past by some fantastic systems that were set up by ear to be invisible to enjoying the music. That was a long time ago, and now not hearing nearly as well, I still desire to hear music and not the limits of the system. In a RV we are limited by the power source if boondocking that means 12.4 vdc. If full hookups are available then theoretically you could produce way too much clean clear sound. We do boondock, so our systems should be able to operate on 12v with efficiency. That means compromising on the amplification and speakers must be efficient. The way we listen to music now is so convenient. We get it from the internet. The quality is not audiophile, but good enough to get the idea of what the performer was trying to convey. The quality allowed by XM and MP3's is really good enough for general background listening around the campsite or driving down route 66. We'll call that source material. So, for most of us the source material will be XM Serious, Pandora, FM radio, IPODs, CDs, or even the cassettes and Donna's 8 track player. The first time I ever heard an 8 track player I was blown away how much better it sounded than typical AM radio! They were a little finicky, but were cutting edge in the sixties. What we really are concerned with is being able to listen to our source material with a low drain on our batteries. The source material and delivery methods will probably be low drain, as there are only small motors to drive CDs, and tuners don't draw much and rechargeable batteries in the case of IPODs or MP3 players. Amps on the other hand are power hungry and will generally be hard on batteries. Most of us can get by with a powered head amp that includes all the controls to operate our source material, shape the tone, and give it a little boost. Others camp out in remote areas and may want to create some more sound. They will be dealing with additional amps and a generator to keep them going. I would start by going to an auto sound store and telling the salesman that you need a clean efficient system. Let him know what source materials you plan to use, and explain that you will be using battery power. See what he recommends and audition it in the store. The speakers designed for cars are designed to work in compromised situations. They are mounted in dashboards, doors, rear package trays, etc. They will be no match for a properly optimized box speaker, but will probably work ok for us if mounted in an upper storage cabinet. You could enclose a box within the cabinet if you don't like what you hear. The advice of a car audio shop could be of benefit. I have not auditioned any systems for our trailer yet, so have no specific ideas. We will get to it after the solar panel upgrade.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:34 AM   #20

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
Heh... I remember when I got a reel-to-reel going at 7.5IPS. What a sound! And that first CD! Woot!

Anyway... in terms of speakers I will probably look for some little thing by Bose. They seem to have done a good job at getting an incredible sound out of a small box. It's not my AR-2AX, but hey... The amplifier may be a bit more problematic. Hmmm... thinking....
fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote