Spray-in bed liner - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2013, 02:42 PM   #1

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Spray-in bed liner

Since my EggCamper has a wooden floor coated with fiberglass resin, I've been thinking about a light coating of spray-on bedliner on the underside. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:06 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Escape offers an option of LineX bed liner on the front of the trailer to protect from dings. They also put it on their front storage box. I have it on mine & it has held up well. Because of the texture, it is a bit more difficult to clean than fiberglass.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:08 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
With anything you spray on as an undercoating, you want to be sure it bonds and seals good so as to not have the opposite effect of letting moisture get between it and the floor, which could be much worse than doing nothing at all. A friend who has been in the auto body repair business for many years has told me that the aftermarket undercoating that was so popular for a time actually could create problems if not applied properly. How good a job do you think can be done to the underside of a trailer that has already been towed hundreds of miles and most likely has dirt in cracks & crevices. Maybe the best thing is to take it to a car wash and wash the underneath after a long trip.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:23 PM   #4

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
Escape offers an option of LineX bed liner on the front of the trailer to protect from dings. They also put it on their front storage box. I have it on mine & it has held up well. Because of the texture, it is a bit more difficult to clean than fiberglass.

You saved me a asking a question with with your comment about the LineX on the front of your trailer.

I just bought an older 13" Scamp and from the belly band down the front looks like it's been sand blasted.

As soon as the axles done it's off the the LineX shop.

Thanks
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:01 AM   #5

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
You can buy this stuff yourself on Amazon. U-Pol makes a kit. $114 does a pickup bed. One quart would probably be enough for the front if your camper. It come in a clear that can be mixed with automotive paint or perhaps other tints.

It is very easy to apply. Just tough up the surface for better adhesion and wipe down with solvent. Spray on and wear a mask. Don't breath the vapors.

I sanded and washed my camper. Decided to sand and wash once more, sprayed it three or four costs in less than a day. It should not take more than a few hours to do the front of a camper with a cost of perhaps $30 with the gun.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:35 AM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
DIY wanted? Check out Grizzly Grip. Cool colors too!
Attached Thumbnails
colors.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:58 AM   #7

Trailer: Eggcamper 17 ft Electric
Registry
Why? Isn't the underside of your floor also sealed with resin?
Ron F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:23 AM   #8

Thanks Donna and Bruce.
Might save me some money.
John
Old 03-10-2013, 01:54 PM   #9

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I've had Rhino liner on the uncovered bed of my truck for almost 10 years without as much as a single crack or any signs of peeling.
IMHO: I think it's the best, but it has to be installed by a Rhino liner shop.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:14 PM   #10

Name: Jeepney
Trailer: Custom built/homemade
Washington
I'm a big fan of monstaliner Monstaliner do-it-yourself roll-on truck bed liner outperforms Herculiner Bed Liner, Duplicolor and Rustoleum Road Warrior = inexpensive, supertough, many colors and a much nicer texture I think.
usjeepney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:11 AM   #11

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
It's been several years since I talked to Jim Palmer, but IIRC his rationale for not coating the underside with resin was that he thought water could (would?) be trapped between the resin layers and rot the wood, whereas the uncoated underside would let the wood dry quickly and stay good. The topside was coated to help keep interior water leaks from soaking in and wrecking the floor.

My cargo trailer has bare plywood floor, and I've towed it over 100,000 miles in, oh, 6 or 7 years. Plenty of rainy days and wet pavement. The plywood seems as strong as ever.

I used to think that a full FG underside was the smart way to go. Now I'm not so sure... if there's a leak, where can the water go?
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:52 PM   #12

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
I contacter Jim Palmer and he didn't think it was a good idea. At EggCamper he's the man so I won't do it.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:12 PM   #13

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
bob---i cannot speak to the idea of coating the underside of your unit---however, i CAN speak to the durability and ease of use of grizzly grip!

last spring i painted on the grizzly grip bedliner on the front of our outback as a gravel shield. it was very simple to do and with the supplied roller, went on like a dream. i gave it two coats and it has seen over 4,000 kms and looks terrific.
we had had a small stone chip leave us a hole about the size of a pea. originally i had thought i'd have to invest in fiberglass repair products and learn how to fix it. instead, on donna' recommendation, i called the boss at grizzly grip, ordered his product and painted 'er up. no repair needed--this stuff has filled in the hole and protected the area all at the same time. i went looking for the hole to show someone how well it worked and i couldn't find it easily!!!!

i give it
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:18 PM   #14

Theresa, I going to use the Grizzly Grip as a gravel guard.
I'm going to cover about 30 sq. ft.
How much did you use?
Thanks,
John
Old 03-19-2013, 07:22 AM   #15

Registry
hi john---if you go to the actual grizzly grip site, you'll see my photos in the testimonials section. if you choose to cover the same amount of space (thereabouts), you'll find that 2 coats only uses about half of the gallon container they sell. but---the good news is, it will still be more cost-efficient to buy the larger size than the smaller. plus, you might choose to also do the wheelwells. i was intending on that, but as we were imminently leaving to travel to the rally being held in kingston, ontario (last may)..i didn't do the wheelwells. and although i should have done them when we got home, i got busy with other things and never did do them.
make sure to purchase the roller he offers. i bought 2 but only needed 1. he also advocates using a product to pre-clean the fiberglass that i couldn't find anywhere (xylene) but when i called him (ed, the owner, is fabulously accommodating!!) he made the alternate suggestion of acetone.
good luck.
you'll be very pleased, i am certain.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:32 AM   #16

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by theresa p View Post
....he also advocates using a product to pre-clean the fiberglass that i couldn't find anywhere (xylene) but when i called him (ed, the owner, is fabulously accommodating!!) he made the alternate suggestion of acetone....
If using products such as xylene or acetone, take the time to read the product use descriptions and take all of the recommended safety precautions. These products are highly toxic.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:51 AM   #17

Registry
dave---you are correct about the toxicity, especially of xylene. that was exactly what i spoke about with ed (the owner). the acetone, well, frankly, i used such a very small amount (just enough to dampen a cloth lightly and give the area a light wipe-down) that i ended up just using nail polish remover. i figured that it would do the job and it did, quite nicely.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:34 AM   #18

Thanks Theresa, I saw your trailer.
I'm about to call and order enough to do a new deck I built off my back bedroom and enough to do the trailer.

John