Sprucing up Interior Foam - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2014, 11:14 AM   #1

Name: Rachael
Trailer: Boler 17'
Saskatchewan
Sprucing up Interior Foam

Hello!
Total newbie here, and just brought home our 'new' 17' 1978 Boler. Gave the interior a good scrub down, but not sure how to deal with the foam on the walls/ceiling.

I'm not sure if what I've got is the ensolite that I'm seeing in lots of other threads, but it seems pretty hard to clean. I'd like to know if I can paint it?
It is coming down in one or two spots, but I figure I can glue it up fairly easily.

Any input or direction to relevant threads would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Boler Foam.JPG  
browndirtgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 02:02 PM   #2

Name: Bee
Trailer: Trillium Jubilee
PE
Registry
Hey, just another newbie here so I won't be much help but I'm asking the same question in another thread... could you let me know you find out?
Thanks!
Bee
Bee in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 03:12 PM   #3

Name: Kevin & Lisa
Trailer: Scamp16
Ohio
That does not look like ensolite to me... I'm sure boler experts will be chiming in.

As far as cleaning - LA's Totally Awesome cleaner works, we'll, awesome. They sell it for a buck at dollar tree. It cleans everything. But out of the spritz bottle can be a little irritated to breath... Out of a bucket with a scrub brush is fine for me but when I had to spritz a lot to get the nooks and cranies I had to wear my respirator.
summer scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 07:57 AM   #4

Name: D and R
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Registry
I have a 17 foot boler with the same foam wall cover. I painted it last summer with a good quality latex white paint. I washed it with a mild bleach solution using a paint roller first, then I used a good quality roller to apply 2 coats of paint. it looks great. It was very simple and we had no problems
dlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 08:19 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
We have several threads in the archives about this kind of foam.

Search for Popcorn Foam or Popcorn Insulation.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 09:20 AM   #6

PE
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
We have several threads in the archives about this kind of foam.

Search for Popcorn Foam or Popcorn Insulation.
Thank you Donna D...I just didn't know what to call it, and I find the search sometimes scattered in results. I have started using " " and it works better.

Appreciate the proper name!

Bee
Old 05-25-2014, 09:12 PM   #7

Name: Rachael
Trailer: Boler 17'
Saskatchewan
Thank you - I was having a hard time knowing where or how to start searching in the forum too!
browndirtgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 10:40 PM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Are you using the Google search at the bottom of the drop-down search menu? It's a much more sophisticated search engine, you generally don't need the quotes, and it's pretty good at reading your mind and sorting by relevance.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 04:54 AM   #9

PE
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Are you using the Google search at the bottom of the drop-down search menu? It's a much more sophisticated search engine, you generally don't need the quotes, and it's pretty good at reading your mind and sorting by relevance.
You are right, the Google search works way better for me! A little bit of trial and error but finding more info that's for sure....

What I have found:
" Popcorn foam is more common in Bolers.... Cleans up with a diluted bleach solution, rolled on with a paint roller. Can be spot repaired with popcorn ceiling repair product called "popcorn patch" by Homax (wonder if it dries hard or softer.) There seems seems to be differing opinions on which paint to use though, either a high end latex or a vinyl paint. Popcorn foam is softer than ensolite....."

That's the results of my research so far!

Bee
Old 06-04-2014, 08:11 PM   #10

PE
Registry
So I've just spent the day firmly roller-ing the popcorn insulation of my trillium with a 1/4 bleach to 3/4 water solution...who knew you could clean insulation with a paint roller!? Worked great, a couple little areas needed a little rub with a cloth as well.

My research at paint, RV and marine shops led me to ELASTOMERIC paint. It's used for vinyl seats in the marine world. It's highly elastic, hence the name. It's available in a spray can for $16 a can but I finally found it was available at a paint store for $50/gallon, and found a paint guru who knew how to paint with it! And it can be tinted and is mildew resistant! Haven't tried it yet, but it seems to be the consensus...

Hope this helps...
Bee