Squeaky Floor - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2012, 09:21 AM   #1

Name: Jim
Trailer: Bigfoot 1981 Trailer
British Columbia
Smile Squeaky Floor

I am starting work on my 1981 17 Foot Bigfoot, and before I go too far, I want to know how to fix the squeak in the floor. It had carpet, which I took out and will use it for a template for new vinyl, so wanted to know if there are cross members under the floor where I could screw the sub floor more securly to stop the squeaks. The squeak is at the rear, close to the couch area. I am not gutting the interior, as it seems to be in good shape, but will paint it, using Bullseye 123 primer, probably 3 coats, then use a top coat of Hi Performance 2000 interior/exterior semi gloss paint from General Paint. I plan on attaching the replacement 1/8 inch thick birch panelling with Lepage No More Nails Foam Board Adhesive, and for caulking will use Lepage Paintable Urethane Caulking as there is 1 inch syrofoam on the walls. Any advice on what I am planning to do would be greatly appreciated. The windows will be taken out and butyl cauling put in place. There is a crack in a window, so will take it to the local glass shop and have them put new glass in it. A question also, regards the screening. I want to replace all the screens, but cannot figure out how to do it. The bathroom 9 inch by 9 inch vent leaks, so will replace that and also do some body work. So many questions to ask, but have been reading all the wonderful info on this site and looking forward to start work on my Bigfoot. I have put it under a car shelter, have heat in it, so will be comfortable to work on during our rainy winter months. Thanks, Jim
jimmied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:02 AM   #2

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Hard to say what is causing your squeak. You might try crawling underneath (at least poking your head under) and have someone in the rig cause the floor to squeak. This will allow you to see if anything is moving and pinpoint the squeak from underneath where it would be easier to remedy. If you do see a spot where it has a gap from a cross member you can fill the gap with either liquid nails or a decent caulk.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:22 AM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Jim, you have asked a number of questions in a single post. In my experience, you will get better answers if you break up your questions into multiple posts.

Don't worry, it is all the same price.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:55 AM   #4

Name: Jim
Trailer: Bigfoot 1981 Trailer
British Columbia
Thanks Thomas G. for the input and will repost my question, one at a time. I am new to this board and appreciate the recommendation. The squeak is gone, as it seems the rear support holding the bed was rubbing against the bathroom wall close to the floor.
jimmied is offline   Reply With Quote