Stainless door hold-back - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2018, 05:25 PM   #1

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp 13(sold!) & TDI tugboat
Ohio
Stainless door hold-back

We are re-doing the outside of the Scamp and have almost everything needed: new lights, new stainless gravel guard hardware, stainless fasteners...

One thing I haven't found is a stainless hold-back for the door, with a little torsion spring to keep it in position. Attached is a pic of the exact thing I'm looking for, spotted on Bryan's Casita at the fall Ohio rally. Please post up if you know where to buy. My Google Fu is failing me today.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20180922_121917538.jpg  
FJ40Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 06:16 PM   #2

Name: Michael
Trailer: Casita 16ft.
California
Like this? https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=..._Trailer_Parts
Nor Cal Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 06:22 PM   #3

Ohio
That, but with the added feature of a stainless mousetrap spring to keep the arm securely in the pocket on the door, and keep the arm laid flat against the hull in flight.

Zoom in on the picture and it is visible.
FJ40Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 06:45 PM   #4

Ohio
It dawned on me that maybe it was a factory install on Casita, so I checked their parts website. Bam, right there it is. It doesn't show up in search because they call it "entry door retainer" instead of "trailer door hold-back, or catch".

Link for posterity:
https://store.casitatraveltrailers.c...-door-retainer

Pic:
Old 11-27-2018, 11:09 AM   #5

Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 13 S1 BB
IL
I found this one on amazon Hold back It seems like the casita one is a little inexpensive for being stainless. The one on my scamp is definitely galvanized and rusting already. I'm not sure the amazon one is the correct angle for the scamp, they did confirm it is 4" long though, will give it a shot in the fall.
Gompka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 11:47 AM   #6

Ohio
Good point, the Casita one may not be SS, especially at that price.

I will magnet test when it arrives and post up the results. If it is not SS then it will get etch primed & painted silver, to at least slow the rust.

The Amazon vendor (JR products) has a number of door holdbacks, but in Stainless material they only show a 45 or 90* version, not a straight.
Old 11-27-2018, 01:34 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Gotta love Amazon Prime. 4 inch straight in Stainless Steel: https://www.amazon.com/JR-Products-1...000BRJPDU?th=1

oh poo, it doesn't have the retainer spring you were looking for....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 01:50 PM   #8

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
According to the description, this one is stainless. It is straight with the spring:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078342YBQ...a-0f336f5f387a
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 06:42 PM   #9

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Here is one with a locking spring
https://www.amazon.com/JR-Products-1...4CARFQKFC130GZ
Attached Thumbnails
51Vanz9-zNL._SL1001_.jpg  
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 02:40 AM   #10

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
It just takes using the right keywords to find things
state the known facts which are the type of metal, the purpose of use and the angle. You were very close on the purpose but used hold-back instead of the simpler word holder.

Then for the search choose to use an image search, that will quickly weed out the wrong stuff since you can immediately see the right matches.

Here are the keywords for your search you need to add the angle since I can't tell what it is from the photo:

stainless steel entry door holder RV

Camping world has them
Amazon has them
Ebay has them
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 07:21 AM   #11

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Stainless door hold-back

The angle on the Scamp- don't know about Casita- is proprietary, neither straight nor 45*, due to the curvature of the shell. That is the reason they use the wire type- it can be bent to the precise angle needed. You need to buy a straight holdback and use the old one as a template to bend the new one.

Stainless steel is brittle, so I'm wondering if bending it will cause a problem?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 08:55 AM   #12

Ohio
Jon, the angle is zero, as shown in pics in post #1 & #4. No need for bending. But it does need to be 6" long because the Scamp door can't lay wide open against the hull due to the curvature of hull & door.

Corbin, thanks for coming up with correct google terms.
Here it is from the manufacturer:
RV Designer door holder, stainless, 6", self closing
Old 11-28-2018, 09:46 AM   #13

Arizona
Registry
Stainless door hold-back

EDIT... Okay, I get it now. They are using a different set up than in the past, assuming the picture is a new trailer and OEM holdback. Should have looked closer.

And they say Scamp never changes!
Old 11-29-2018, 08:29 AM   #14

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
The angle on the Scamp- don't know about Casita- is proprietary, neither straight nor 45*, due to the curvature of the shell. That is the reason they use the wire type- it can be bent to the precise angle needed. You need to buy a straight holdback and use the old one as a template to bend the new one.

Stainless steel is brittle, so I'm wondering if bending it will cause a problem?
Look at the shape of those door holders and you will see that they did a lot of bending of them during the forming of the product. It is not brittle. Besides logically you can't have a brittle piece of metal doing the kind of job the door holder is doing as it would fracture the metal. While hopefully it will take some effort to bend it to the needed angle it won't cause a problem because of the metal being brittle. Perhaps you are confusing a problem developing related to metal fracturing from work hardening during repeated bending? Don't worry, that takes a lot more instances of repeated bending to get it to that state.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 08:52 AM   #15

Arizona
Registry
Stainless door hold-back

Good point. If they can bend the loop, one could bend it a little more.

None of this applies to the OP, since it appears Scamp now uses a different holdback.

Mine's getting a little weathered, but I may just mask and throw some silver paint on it. It is still tight and perfectly functional.
Old 12-03-2018, 03:20 PM   #16

Ohio
The package arrived from Casita parts department. It is a stainless steel door holdback. It is only the 4" long, but after holding it up in position it looks like it can be made to fit. I'll get a picture of it installed after camper is painted.