Starting a reno of a 1975 Trilliim 1300 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2012, 07:39 AM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1975 Trillium 1300
Northwest Territories
Starting a reno of a 1975 Trilliim 1300

First off, hello! This past winter we purchased a 1975 Trillium Trailer, we thought that we got a pretty good deal on it and it was supposed to be Ina "ready to go" state.

The more we travelled the more problems we have encountered. First the converter totally sparked and blew, so we have no power or working fridge...

Then we realized that it leaks quite a bit...then we had to replace a hub a few tires and possibly a new axle due to wear on the spindle...

This was all within the first week. At first we were a wee bit upset and thought about selling...but somewhere along the adventure we fell in love with this little thing, so now we are instead going to re-do the trailer, gut it, and make it ours!

So wish us luck and I will post photos as we move along...I read this site for ideas on a daily basis!

Mike and Amy from the NWT
mefilipo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:08 AM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Welcome to the site!

I feel for you. A 37 year old trailer is bound to have some issues. I know my 34 year old trailer does. What I love about fiberglass trailers is that they are always worth repairing. After you put some months of work into it, you will be able to camp in it for another 30 years.

What are you planning to do? There are several other Trillium owners here who have detailed many jobs. Some large some small. I am in the process of removing the belly band on my trailer. Powered vent fans are popular. I have also replaced my axle. I would not recommend going to a 3500 lb axle. If I had to do it over, I would go with a 2500 lb unit. Less bounce.

There are many other people here who share your love of small fiberglass trailers. You are among friends.

Everyone loves pictures.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:50 PM   #3

Name: Sherman
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
Pennsylvania
The day we bought our 4500, it was nice weather during the purchase. I directly asked the man, "Does it leak?" Answer: "Not as far as I know." Good enough. Towed it home. It rained that same day. We were hanging-out inside our new camper in the rain. There was water everywhere. There is no way you could ever be inside this camper in the slightest rain and not know that it leaked. That guy will get his someday. You can't live your life deceiving people like that and be happy, but I digress...

For a long time after that I was pretty reluctant to fix-up the new camper. I did know that it would need some work when I bought it, but not that it would be unusable until I made it waterproof. I felt like it would just never not leak or be good enough to camp in. It was in our garage "being worked on" for months, slowly, here and there little things got fixed, but you know how it is when you just can't see the finish line.

It finally got to the point where it could sit in the rain. I had to remove and repair the rear window, replace two panes of glass, re-hang the door and just generally seal it up all around. I think there are still two little drip leaks somewhere. After it rains hard, you can find two tiny wet spots at the rear wall on each bench.

So now it's finally usable for camping. I still need to work-out the water tank (large hole), but I wish I had known then what I know now. I would have been much more motivated and would probably have been done long ago. There is a finish line. These trailers are very, very fixable. The effort is rewarded greatly.
spotcatbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:12 PM   #4

Trailer: Cardinal (Restoring)
Welcome Mike,
You made the right decision to work on your Trill. It will bring you many moments of satisfaction. This site will provide you with alot of help and suggestions. Have always wanted to visit the NWT. Have some family roots in Pembroke, Ontario.
RRIZZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:17 PM   #5

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by spotcatbug View Post
I think there are still two little drip leaks somewhere. After it rains hard, you can find two tiny wet spots at the rear wall on each bench.
Um, sounds like your belly band is leaking. Very doable, but not a small job. I am doing mine now. Not because of leaks, but because I like how it looks without the belly band, and for longevity.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote