Starting my new woodwork. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-08-2012, 10:19 PM   #15

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
[QUOTE=dylanear;320279]Any proposed "mythic, cutting edge tech-iness" is in your imagination, not any claims I've made.

By George you're right sorry Dylan!! Sometimes I hear little noises--in my imagination.

jack

Old 07-08-2012, 10:24 PM   #16

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanear

This is not the Bondo putty most people consider "Bondo" It's a resin for fiberglass repair. Not sure what it's made of, perhaps it is polyester based. It is a bit stinky, not sure I'd associate it with a styrene smell. But it was the tiny amounts of hardener, so it may share a polyester chemistry with it's famous putty sibling.

Perhaps I'll try a some on a small bit of wood and see what kind of finish I can get.
Epoxy is a powerful glue and a relatively hard coating. Polyester doesn't stick to wood nearly as well as epoxy but may stick good enough for your cabinets. It is less expensive than epoxy. Epoxy can be had with different cure speed hardeners, giving open time at 70 degrees from maybe 10-15 minutes for fast to up to an hour for slow hardener. You won't find the epoxy you need at the hardware store, but it's available online. I get mine at Raka.com.

Several coats of paint will make a smooth surface on a close grained wood like poplar or birch but paint will take forever to fill an open grain wood like oak or mahogany. Epoxy will fill oak with two coats. Google "roll and tip" for the best way to get a spray painted look without spraying.

Old 07-08-2012, 10:41 PM   #17

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
My worry about seriously hard coatings, especially ones that will dry fast with a curing agent is making a unsmooth mess that cannot be sanded smooth or removed, ruining, or at least uglifying a lot of very hard work.

I'd like to build it up with layers, so any one layer not being ideal can just be sanded smooth. But I don't want to have to do 37 coats, sanding between each one to get a smooth glossy finish either!

Really, I'd be happy to drop this stuff off at a pro shop and throw money at it until it looks great. But not sure many pros will know what to do, they seem to all specialize in something, and this kind of custom experimenting isn't it.

But there is a paint shop very close to my workspace and they seem like they might be able to help. I'll be taking them one of my shelves and a cabinet door tomorrow (want those painted white too), we'll see what they say.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:57 PM   #18

Name: John
Trailer: gave up!!
California
Dylan... I just had an idea... I once used some appliance paint that was an expoy and was self leveling. Was in a spray can. Left a finish like I took it to a body shop and had it wet sanded and polished. This would allow you to do it in single coats instead of one thick layer. Then if you needed to do any sanding, it wouldn't be on a thick layer of gunk.... Just a thought.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:17 AM   #19

British Columbia
Funny you should mention "appliance paint" I was just looking at this:

Home Depot - Specialty 1 qt. White Gloss Appliance Epoxy Paint (2-Pack) customer reviews - product reviews - read top consumer ratings

Among many other products I've looked at while googling. Here's a few....

Circa 1850 Marine Grade Epoxy Enamel

Interlux Perfection Two Part Polyurethane Gloss Finish

Bathroom Epoxy | Bathroom Refinishing Kit

WEST SYSTEM | Products | Product Selection Chart
Old 07-09-2012, 12:19 AM   #20

British Columbia
I have two uses in mind, but if one product/process would work for both, great. There's getting a lovely finish on my woodwork, but I also want a serious coating on my plywood floors before I put the Allure down and start building furniture on top.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:37 AM   #21

Name: John
Trailer: gave up!!
California
Since you didn't say it I'm going to...

Jinx!
Old 07-09-2012, 12:41 AM   #22

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_m View Post
since you didn't say it i'm going to...

Jinx!

Old 07-09-2012, 10:18 AM   #23

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
What about trying "ZEP WET LOOK FLOOR FINISH" It sure works on the outside of trailer to give it a deep shine. May also work on inside stuff too.

Ron
Old 07-09-2012, 05:23 PM   #24

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRJR View Post
What about trying "ZEP WET LOOK FLOOR FINISH" It sure works on the outside of trailer to give it a deep shine. May also work on inside stuff too.

Ron
I have a bottle (purchased for the exterior) and yes, that has already crossed my mind.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:44 PM   #25

Name: Diane
Trailer: u-haul ct13
Virginia
Dylan, you go guy! This is truly the way to learn. I am hoping your results are all you expect them to be. And by the way, there "ain't nuttin wrong" with computer designing. Can't wait to see your finished product!
Old 07-09-2012, 08:13 PM   #26

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Davis View Post
Dylan, you go guy! This is truly the way to learn. I am hoping your results are all you expect them to be. And by the way, there "ain't nuttin wrong" with computer designing. Can't wait to see your finished product!
It's an awesome learning experience. I'm very pleased to have the time to do this remodel, but I'm also concerned how long it's taking. To get everything done I want to do I fear I'll be working until Christmas! But I need to be in BC by Sept 10th and I sure hope for some relaxed traveling and camping before then!

The application I used is a really poor CAD app to be honest. It's an animation and special effects application really, but it shares enough with CAD apps that's it's better for me than paper. Someday I'll learn a real CAD app and I'll be able to do FEA strength analysis, export files directly to CAM/CNC machines etc. As it stands it's just a way to layout things, makes parts/cut lists easier. Easier to make changes to the design than with paper.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:29 PM   #27

British Columbia
Here's some newer pics.

First shelf done. Came together great, but took a some time. Hopefully I'll get much faster at this type construction. I hand sanded it entirely. Next one I try the "real" sander. Came out so nice I almost want to just stain it. That's nice wood to be covering with paint.

Held in place for a little preview.

I tried refinishing one of the stock Scamp cabinet doors. Wasn't too hard to get the "wood" pealed off. A little sanding and it's ready to paint. Should match the look I'm going for with the new woodwork.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:41 PM   #28

Name: Tabitha
Trailer: 1991 Scamp 13'
Virginia
Shelf looks great! I would be tempted to stain that wood, too.

And nice work on the cabinet doors. Ours look like they've been waterlogged, so not an option for ours. we're working on making new ones now. woulda been much easier if we coulda done it your way.