Starting my new woodwork. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2012, 11:37 PM   #21

Name: John
Trailer: gave up!!
California
Since you didn't say it I'm going to...

Jinx!
John_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:41 PM   #22

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_m View Post
since you didn't say it i'm going to...

Jinx!

dylanear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:18 AM   #23

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
What about trying "ZEP WET LOOK FLOOR FINISH" It sure works on the outside of trailer to give it a deep shine. May also work on inside stuff too.

Ron
RRJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:23 PM   #24

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRJR View Post
What about trying "ZEP WET LOOK FLOOR FINISH" It sure works on the outside of trailer to give it a deep shine. May also work on inside stuff too.

Ron
I have a bottle (purchased for the exterior) and yes, that has already crossed my mind.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:44 PM   #25

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Dylan, you go guy! This is truly the way to learn. I am hoping your results are all you expect them to be. And by the way, there "ain't nuttin wrong" with computer designing. Can't wait to see your finished product!
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:13 PM   #26

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Davis View Post
Dylan, you go guy! This is truly the way to learn. I am hoping your results are all you expect them to be. And by the way, there "ain't nuttin wrong" with computer designing. Can't wait to see your finished product!
It's an awesome learning experience. I'm very pleased to have the time to do this remodel, but I'm also concerned how long it's taking. To get everything done I want to do I fear I'll be working until Christmas! But I need to be in BC by Sept 10th and I sure hope for some relaxed traveling and camping before then!

The application I used is a really poor CAD app to be honest. It's an animation and special effects application really, but it shares enough with CAD apps that's it's better for me than paper. Someday I'll learn a real CAD app and I'll be able to do FEA strength analysis, export files directly to CAM/CNC machines etc. As it stands it's just a way to layout things, makes parts/cut lists easier. Easier to make changes to the design than with paper.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:29 PM   #27

British Columbia
Here's some newer pics.

First shelf done. Came together great, but took a some time. Hopefully I'll get much faster at this type construction. I hand sanded it entirely. Next one I try the "real" sander. Came out so nice I almost want to just stain it. That's nice wood to be covering with paint.

Held in place for a little preview.

I tried refinishing one of the stock Scamp cabinet doors. Wasn't too hard to get the "wood" pealed off. A little sanding and it's ready to paint. Should match the look I'm going for with the new woodwork.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:41 PM   #28

Name: Tabitha
Trailer: 1991 Scamp 13'
Virginia
Shelf looks great! I would be tempted to stain that wood, too.

And nice work on the cabinet doors. Ours look like they've been waterlogged, so not an option for ours. we're working on making new ones now. woulda been much easier if we coulda done it your way.
Harlequin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:10 PM   #29

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
Shelf looks great! I would be tempted to stain that wood, too.

And nice work on the cabinet doors. Ours look like they've been waterlogged, so not an option for ours. we're working on making new ones now. woulda been much easier if we coulda done it your way.
I like to reuse/recycle where I can, but frankly, starting with fresh MDF and having a pro router the edges would probably be cheap and faster than peeling all that faux wood coating and sanding. We'll see how it goes. I could go either way.

Ideally, time permitting, I'd like to build cabinet doors like I'm building the shelves, they'd be similarly strong and lighter.

I'm already thinking about doing this again, maybe in a 16' Scamp in a few years. But, next time, use some plywood with an exotic wood veneer and have custom moldings made with that same wood. If I had a real woodshop with proper precise tools or have a pro do it for me, I think you could easily make this construction look good enough, precise enough to simply stain/varnish. And with a nice dark warm wood, it would look really fantastic. Ideally all the fiberglass could be redone with this look and I bet it would be dramatically lighter than a factory "Deluxe" wood package. But that's dreaming, I just need to start making some serious progress this week.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:41 PM   #30

Name: Bill
Trailer: Boler American
New Mexico
Registry
I have a small hobbie body shop. and over the years I have refinished a lot of wood work useing automotive supplies with great luck. If I remember right Dylanear you took a shop in th Albuquerque area! I live in Albuquerque. I would be happy to help you with the refinishing.
Mr Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:46 PM   #31

British Columbia
Bill, not sure exactly how etc, but I do feel I could use all the help I could get if I want to get on the road before winter!!! Got a spray booth?

I'll PM you my contact details, let's chat.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:38 PM   #32

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Nice start on your project. I like the light weight composit construction. Keep up the good work.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:16 AM   #33

British Columbia
Thanks Danny.

I dropped off all the prepped cabinet doors and my new kitchen supports at a refinisher. They recommended a white lacquer. If I like the work, then I'll have them do the rest of the woodwork once I'm finished. We shall see....
Old 07-14-2012, 12:29 PM   #34

British Columbia
I finished all 4 shelves, the kitchen counter extension and the table/desk. All look great and feel very sturdy.

But the cabinet doors did not look good after the painter's first attempt. They had no problem when I said it needed to be much smoother and promised to improve the finish, thankfully. Looks like they only did one coat and I saw no evidence they primered first or did the multiple sandings we discussed. Frustrating. They talked all the talk. Now let's see if they can paint. Anyone know a great wood finisher/painter/refinisher around Albuquerque??? I have my doubts, with these guys.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:55 PM   #35

British Columbia

Very time consuming, but I'm very pleased at how light they are, yet very stiff. Fit like a glove into their respective spots. Now if I can just get the gloss finish I want on them. And find good ways of getting them all installed securely.
Old 07-14-2012, 04:43 PM   #36

Name: Fred
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
Washington
Registry
I just bought a gallon of this appliance paint to go over my existing gel coat. I've already done 2 coats of this primer:
Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3 1-Gal. Water-Based White Primer/Sealer 182407 at The Home Depot

Not exactly your problem, but I"ll see how it goes.

--Fred and Natalie
1978 Trillium 4500 "Bernerwagon"
freddo411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:34 PM   #37

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Dylan, you are doing a beautiful job! Can't wait to see the finished product!
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:41 AM   #38

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddo411 View Post
I just bought a gallon of this appliance paint to go over my existing gel coat. I've already done 2 coats of this primer:
Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3 1-Gal. Water-Based White Primer/Sealer 182407 at The Home Depot

Not exactly your problem, but I"ll see how it goes.
Thanks for sharing, if you do get a nice match to the factory gel coat, I'd be very keen to know about it.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:44 AM   #39

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Davis View Post
Dylan, you are doing a beautiful job! Can't wait to see the finished product!
Thanks! I can't wait to see the final results myself.

Time to start making serious progress on the complex, main woodwork. The left front seat/shelf and the right front seat/potty hatch. I have a good plan of action, but I am concerned about making the left seat/shelf strong enough to be sat on.
Old 07-21-2012, 01:30 PM   #40

British Columbia
OK, the painters are not proving to be skillful, or accurate in their communication. Not sure if they can be of use anymore, they basically said, "Sorry the materials your using cannot be made smooth without many more hours and added cost." I said, "Well, I can't pay more (actually just unwilling), but I'm willing to put in my own elbow grease and see if I can't sand out the imperfections you are finding so time consuming." After 20 minutes of sanding and a coat of ValSpar gloss white lacquer from a can I think it's clear they are lazy/incompetent. A few hours work and I can sand out all the imperfections they can't/won't. The cabinet doors all had random pits and overall less than smooth finish. I know it's not going to look like high end fiberglass or a perfect mirror show car finish, but I at least want a smooth consistent look that's not dramatically rougher than the fiberglass parts of the interior. I think my finish has that. I'll be sanding over the weekend and give them one more chance to do the final coats in their spray booth. They did say if I did more prep, they'd do one more coat without added cost.

I'm very pleased with this look, the new satin, nickle finished handles and hinges will give a classy, modern look far from the "cozy", "traditional/vintage" fake wood grain.

You can see how rough and bumpy the cover under the door is, that's what their finish looked like. And the pics don't show just how bad it looks.