Steps/stairs for Scamp 5er - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2007, 10:44 AM   #1

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel / 2005 GMC CNo Trailer Yeton Quad Cab
Looking for plans/ideas for folding/knock-down steps to assist in reaching bed in 5er standard. Don't want to make major modifications to basic unit, have well equiped woodworking shop
Thanks in advance!
Bill
SeaBeeBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 01:22 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Bill the only two I've seen done to create steps to the loft, are Nancy's (in Oregon) and husband Mike's, and the most recently Peter's and Lynne's redo. The best part of these changes is the bed can be turned so sleeping would be front to back, rather than side to side. See these two links:

Peter and Lynne's Converting Scamp 5er Loft, Change Loft Bed from Side-Side to Front-Back

Nancy and Mike's web page: Scamp 5th wheel pics

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 02:30 AM   #3

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Two things to keep in mind:
1) The word "plans" probably doesn't apply here. While working on my 5er I've found that surfaces that look square or parallel to each other often are not, and even the curves at the front of the 16' section of the trailer (where it connects to the loft) are not the same on each side. Add that to the fact that no trailer-side-surface is flat or straight or vertical, that wood-to-fiberglass connections have to consider the fragility of the fiberglass itself and you have a woodworking challenge on your hands. So, even if I did keep "plans" for my modification, my mods probably wouldn't work in your trailer. You'd have to make changes so all the surfaces mate up with each other. With these things in mind I'd say this is an "advanced" skills project or perhaps an "intermediate" skill project for someone with a lot of patience.

2) And my plans probably wouldn't meet your wants and needs. Mike and Nancy's trailer, which is where we got our basic idea from, is very nice, but not what we wanted. Our mods probably wouldn't match up with other people's needs either. The nice thing about doing your own customizations is you get to create the kind of space you want, not what someone else wants for you.

--Peter
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 10:41 PM   #4

I wasn't looking to modify the camper; just wanted an easier way to hoist my aging body into bed. Have made a satisfactory (to me) proto-type using schedule 40, 1 1/4 " pvc pipe reinforced internally with slip-fit octagonial wooden dowels. Ain't so pretty, and I can already see things that should have been done differently, but it does what I want. Will post pictures if there is any interest. Thanks for the responses!
Bill
Old 04-04-2007, 10:44 PM   #5

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Quote:
I wasn't looking to modify the camper; just wanted an easier way to hoist my aging body into bed. Have made a satisfactory (to me) proto-type using schedule 40, 1 1/4 " pvc pipe reinforced internally with slip-fit octagonial wooden dowels. Ain't so pretty, and I can already see things that should have been done differently, but it does what I want. Will post pictures if there is any interest. Thanks for the responses!
Bill
Bill- - -take a peek at the 5th wheel Scamp on E-Bay that is for sale. It has a set of steps that goes over the Gaucho/couch. Maybe you can get some ideas from that Larry
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 08:47 AM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Bill- - -take a peek at the 5th wheel Scamp on E-Bay that is for sale. It has a set of steps that goes over the Gaucho/couch. Maybe you can get some ideas from that Larry
I went ahead an grabbed these, once the eBay link goes dead..these pics are gone forever and I'm sure others will be interested in this topic in the future

Click image for larger version

Name:	ScampStairs_01.jpeg
Views:	60
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	7156

Click image for larger version

Name:	ScampStairs_02.jpeg
Views:	87
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	7157
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 12:45 PM   #7

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Thanx Donna- -I would have, but haven't mastered that yet. Yes, I know it is prob simple, I just must be simpler Larry
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 02:05 PM   #8

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
I would love to make some for my 5er... dont have a clue how to even start or try to make stairs!! any volunteers in WA state?? LOL
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 08:17 PM   #9

To build this ladder I used:
8 ea, 1 1/4" PVC Tees;
4 ea, 1 1/4" PVC 90 degree elbows;
2ea, 1 1/4" PVC 45 degree elbows;
2 peices of 1 1/4" x 10' PVC pipe;
1 pine 2"x4"x8' (for reinforcing)
+ PVC solvent and glue.
See attached photos--like I said, "it aint pretty" but it's fairly light weight and so far, supports my 250+ weight without any sign of failure. If you use this idea you're on your own.
Bill
Attached Thumbnails
PVC_Reinforcement_01.JPG   LadderView_01.JPG  

LadderInstalled.JPG   TopOfLadder.JPG  

Old 11-18-2013, 11:20 AM   #10

Name: Herman & Ann
Trailer: Casita SD
Pensacola Florida
Usable step

Bill I made a simple step to help my wife get in and out of the 5ers bed. It also makes a wonderful footstool when sitting on the couch. See attached photo. With addition of the bottom the LEDs don't hurt the couch.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Herman M Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:22 AM   #11

Name: Herman & Ann
Trailer: Casita SD
Pensacola Florida
Step

Sorry about the LEDs my spell check don't know how to spell LEGS.
Herman M Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:40 PM   #12

Name: David
Trailer: Escape Trailers
Massachusetts
store bought stepstool works for us.

Here are some pictures of a Gorilla Ladders 'EasyReach' stepstool purchased from Home Depot that stands on the couch base with the cushion removed. We had turned the bed to run front to back and installed a conventional full-size mattress on a plywood base. The top of the stepstool is attached to the back end of the mattress base, but you could probably come up with another way of securing it.

Stretcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp