Stereo Install - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2006, 09:06 AM   #1

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
I posted this pre-hack, but I thought I'd post it again for anyone looking for ideas about how to permanently mount a stereo without taking up valuable storage or cutting holes.

I used a boating stereo cabinet, a Poly-Planar WC-70 that comes with a surface mounting bracket.

Click image for larger version

Name:	poly_planar_WC_70.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	1881

Got some surface-mount 120 watt speakers with enclosures and mounted the entire setup under the cabinet below the rear dinette.

The antenna installation was the most challenging, and I found a Tune Trapper TT2C internal mount hidden antenna that mounts inside the cabinets and required no drilling through the hull. It really works!

Name:	TT2C_Tune_Trapper.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	1882

Here is one source for the antenna; I bought mine from a vendor on eBay.

Tune Trapper antenna source

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 09:10 AM   #2

Here's the stereo installed:

The stereo mounted in the box:

Name:	stereo_1_small.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	1883

One of the speakers mounted:

Name:	speaker_small.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	1884

The stereo install from below:

Name:	stereo_mounted_small.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	1885

And the entire system installed:

Name:	stereo_installed_small.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	1886
Old 03-26-2006, 10:18 AM   #3

Trailer: 1985 17 ft Burro
Ahhhhh, beautiful! Love those cabinets! Now, I can see why you have left the Burro crowd. Thanks for sharing your mod again, Roger.
D Shubel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 11:36 AM   #4

You're welcome Donna. You know, as much as I liked the technical features of the Burro, and for all it's good points, it always felt sterile. It was easy to clean, and didn't require any maintenance to the wood. But one of the best descriptions I'd read was that "it feels like living inside a refrigerator". Somehow the Scamp just feels more comfortable, less like a 'camper' and more like someplace to spend time 'cause you want to. That has become important to me because of the way I use the trailer as a home away from home rather than as a 'camper'.

Roger
Old 03-26-2006, 04:26 PM   #5

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
Donna and Roger:
I have apologized to my Burro for that "refrigerator" remark, but as you noted, there is something to it. As a woodworker I'd love to be let loose on the thing, but my wife likes it as light and airy as it is and I'd like to keep the weight down too. My master plan is to incrementally sneak more wood into it, hopefully without her noticing my sinister plan.
Part of the plan is to stop using the honduras mahogany and use something light-colored like maple. Eventually I'd like to take those five curved compartment doors and make frame and panel replacements for them (see picture). A formidable woodworking challenge, but I can visualize the results. It helps to have no compunction about changing the original items.
Attached Thumbnails
Kitchen.jpg  
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 05:57 PM   #6

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
Thanks for this is very useful thread. Been wondering precisely how to satisfy minimal needs for entertainment/tunes/news/weather/etc., during recreational quiet hour on the road. You can get sick of reading reading reading. I do need my passive dumb-down time.

I really like that stereo set up, Roger. After seeing what you've done I will be looking to install something similar. Tune Trapper antenna, eh? Got to have one of those. Not too many obvious under cabinet installation options in der Burro, though. At least the double hull allows for snaking wires just about everywhere.
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote