storage under seats - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2013, 08:40 PM   #1

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
storage under seats

Generally we keep the bed made up all the time. We only convert it to a table if the weather is really bad - like when we woke up in northern Manitoba and discovered that it was snowing and windy.

Access to the storage areas under the seats becomes 'inconvenient' - to the point of being a pain when the bed is made! So far we haven't used the spaces underneath for anything other than items 'we might use sometime' - and haven't fished anything out of there yet during a camping trip. We did stuff some bedding in when it was snowing to make a bit more room inside. Basically it seems that we only take stuff we use every day. Some of the items live in the back of the Element - stove, pots, dishes, basic food items etc. Clothes live in bags that get moved around as needed. Jackets, footwear etc in the closet (with shelving).

So - what DO you put in cubby holes that are buried under the bed?
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:13 PM   #2

Name: Chris
Trailer: U-Haul
Georgia
Registry
Just got my camper 4 months ago and haven't camped in it yet. So my plans are to keep a few spare parts, tools, duct tape, and a can of WD 40 in there.
Chris Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:32 PM   #3

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
My plan (when I get up the nerve to do it) is to install hatches so I can access those areas from the outside.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:53 PM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I store tables & portable stools etc under the bed when traveling and two Ikea cubes that fit under the bed at the front that contain clothing (one for each person traveling). They are easy to get at and pull out from under the bed without a problem. One of my under the seat rear hatches has my water tank & power cord so it doesnt have much room for anything other than a couple of collapsible water totes and a few lawn games - the other side has less frequently used items - such as a crook pot, a portable oven and an inflatable boat & pump. :-) I dont carry anything in the car other than golf clubs and bike gear.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:37 PM   #5

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
Like Bobbie, when I get my nerve up, I plan to put in outside storage hatche on the street side storage. The fresh water tank takes up most of the space in the other side, so I don't bother putting anything in there. For now in the street side cabinet I have rarely (and hope I never need them while camping) items such as 12v air pump, emergency plumbing repair tape and epoxy putty, small squeeze tube of caulking, etc. I also have a Basecamp Aquacube shower in that cabinet as well. I'm installing a small access hatch I purchased at Lowes that I will install near the sink cabinet. I can reach in and turn the controls on to use the shower in the trailer with my make-shift shower setup. I keep a small hand tool set and emergecy first aid kit under the front seat storage since its not large enough for much else. I keep the table permanently down made into my bed. Under the bed I have plastic storage containers that hold clothes and extra food items and TV trays (since I don't have an inside table). Its all still a work in progress as I have yet to take the maiden voyage that is scheduled for next month.
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:05 AM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel in Sk View Post
Generally we keep the bed made up all the time. We only convert it to a table if the weather is really bad - like when we woke up in northern Manitoba and discovered that it was snowing and windy.

Access to the storage areas under the seats becomes 'inconvenient' - to the point of being a pain when the bed is made! So far we haven't used the spaces underneath for anything other than items 'we might use sometime' - and haven't fished anything out of there yet during a camping trip. We did stuff some bedding in when it was snowing to make a bit more room inside. Basically it seems that we only take stuff we use every day. Some of the items live in the back of the Element - stove, pots, dishes, basic food items etc. Clothes live in bags that get moved around as needed. Jackets, footwear etc in the closet (with shelving).

So - what DO you put in cubby holes that are buried under the bed?
We make the bed and dinette everyday, or most days. The curb side has the water tank so there's not a lot of room there for much. We store extra paper plates and disposable silverware with the water tank. The other side stores the power cable, with is very rarely used, and the sleeping bags. I put a partition in so the sleeping bags live to rear on top of the constant breeze fan. Another item rarely used.
The more difficult to get at are the two top entry spaces under the gaucho. There's usually stuff in the corners on the seat. So those get emergency stuff on the street side, like flares (reflectors) jack, and some tools. The other side gets chocks and legos.

Basic rule in our case, if it's to be used for the trailer that's where it lives, if it's to be used outside like camping furniture, it lives in the back of the truck.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:45 AM   #7

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We have the same Uhaul as Chris and do mostly what he plans. However we were out with it for 3 months so the "maybe we'll want this" items went in the under the bed storage areas. Spare door latch & hinges, fan, light bulbs & fuses, some assorted screws, nuts, bolts, and extra shoes. Our water tank has been removed for extra space. One mistake we made was to not make a list of what was in each compartment because a month later it was "where did we pack" whatever. For everyday clothes we have two baskets on drawer slides that are under the bed in the center and pull forward, the bed stays made up always. I also cut an opening into inaccessible space under the furnace and put a door on it and use that area for shoes. Reinforced the opening with plywood on the inside that is attached with fiberglass resin. Removed the closet rod and made shelves with a drawer under one shelf. Camping World has a couple options for drawers. I did see a picture of a Uhaul that someone had made an opening on the face of the front storage area just inside the door for access to that space without having to lift the cushions. No way I would cut an access opening on the outside of the trailer, but if the factory had done it, it would be nice.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:52 AM   #8

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We have had trailers where we kept the bed made up, like many we built deep pullout drawers under the bed to provide easy access. We had two plastic bins in each drawer. Under the seats, via top access we kept rarely used items like our crock pot or electric heater.

Two large bins each were capable of holding a fair percentage of our clothes.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:06 AM   #9

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
My ParkLiner eats stuff.... so far a big red sharpie marker... so make a treasure map when ya put something away.

I might add another smaller water tank next to the water heater if I find one that would fit thats worth the trouble to install... a gallon or 2 of extra water isnt worth installing lol could store a few single jugs first lol. The thought crosses my mind to add an outside hatch but like the way it looks without it.

I need to get 2 underbed tubs the right size since Im keeping my large dinette down and storing clothes and cookwear underneath it. I got a great deal on a small t-fal pressure cooker brand new for 10 bucks....love goodwill and even though its small still too big to easily stash away so its gonna be under my bed for the rare times I will use it. Planning on makeing stew in it when I go to my groups Beltaine event end of this month... cook something fresh in it dont have to worry about reheating lol.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:20 AM   #10

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
I've made the rear dinette into a permanent bed so getting at the storage compartments from above is difficult. I did use a folding gym mat as the base for the bed so if I do have to open a compartment, it isn't impossible. The driver's side compartment contains most of the trailer utilities, so I don't have to get into it very often. For the passenger side I had Escape install an outside hatch which I use quite a bit. I store my leveling blocks, tool box, jack wrench, gloves for dump stations, etc. There is a photo of the bed set up (as well as a photo of the driver's side under seat storage area) on my trailer modifications page.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:39 AM   #11

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
We keep NOTHING in that area. So far our longest trip has only been nine days and the four large Rubbermaid containers that we slide under the bed have contained everything we need - of course we also use the closets and built-in storage areas that are more accessible. If we didn't have a large truck with a back seat and a good sized bed we would probably put hatches in those under-seat areas for some of our gear.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:56 PM   #12

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
There is a photo of the bed set up (as well as a photo of the driver's side under seat storage area) on my trailer modifications page.
Jon, I looked at your pictures. Great mods, really nicely done. What kind of cover do you have for your stove top? It looks like its FG or plastic. Nice looking and I'm trying to find one myself to give me some more useable counterspace when I'm not cooking.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:19 PM   #13

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otters View Post
Jon, I looked at your pictures. Great mods, really nicely done. What kind of cover do you have for your stove top? It looks like its FG or plastic. Nice looking and I'm trying to find one myself to give me some more useable counterspace when I'm not cooking.
The cover is metal - an option from Escape.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:35 PM   #14

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Otters,

We added a metal stove cover to our motorhome. It was on a hing at the back. It folded in half as you opened it and it stood 1/2 height behind the stove.

I have seen them where they just sit over the burners, look like a cutting board and lift off.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:56 PM   #15

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I made a stove cover with a wood cutting board and 1 X 2 wood for the sides, and stick- on felt pads on the bottom. It has to be removed when traveling.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:57 PM   #16

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Consider putting a "plastic cutting board" material on the top. May as well make the cover do double duty! Mary and Bob have a good idea
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:24 PM   #17
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Otters,

We added a metal stove cover to our motorhome. It was on a hing at the back. It folded in half as you opened it and it stood 1/2 height behind the stove.

I have seen them where they just sit over the burners, look like a cutting board and lift off.
Similar to the covers I build - some folks do attach a cutting board to the back side, otherwise they use them as a serving tray when camped.

Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:50 PM   #18

California
Registry
Thanks Jon and Norm for the stove cover info.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:53 PM   #19

California
Registry
Just realized there are other great ideas here for the cover. Thank you all.

Charlie, I have to check out the covers you build. Lots of talented folks on this forum.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:06 PM   #20

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
I have placed doors from a kitchen redo (total of 4) in the bed/table area. It's amazing how much room our 13' Scamp has, where the water tank is on the curb side, when you can get at it (through the doors). It's easily accessed when the table is held folded all the way up and held in place by a bungee cord.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01175.jpg   DSC01186.jpg  

DSC01174.jpg  
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote