Storing your sewer hose - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2012, 02:45 PM   #1

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Question Storing your sewer hose

If you use one of those vinyl fence posts do you drill a bunch of holes so the moisture can dry out; what do you do to the ends to keep the hose inside, and how do you attach it to your trailer? Thanks for your ideas.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:48 PM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Giant hose clamps around the fence post and your back bumper with holes on bottom for drain and an on each end to finish. Attaching end cap, use your imagination, some use long nails, bungee strap,screws. Another location on on front tongue using hose clamps to a frame.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:49 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Here's what Scamp does.
Attached Thumbnails
Swere hose Storage.png  
Old 06-18-2012, 06:15 PM   #4

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Sewer Pipes

I carry two sewer hoses and now a sewer solution.

The smaller sewer hose is in the tubular container that Scamp mounts on the front of the trailer that Byron has pictured.

Secondarily we carry a longer hose in a almost 5" x 5" x 4' fence post that is screwed to our rear bumper. I have drilled holes in the bottom of my fence post to let it drain.

Thirdly we recently purchased a Sewer Solution. We use it to pump out our gray and black tanks into the clothes washer's drain in our son's cellar while parked in his driveway. It allows us to use a water hose to pump about 50'. It's very handy when parked at home or when visiting the kids. We do not normally carry this item.

(This is our second Sewer Solution. We gave our first one to our Maine son to to pump his Casita 16 out again using a long 3/4 inch garden hose.)

We keep the Sewer Solution in one of our 5 plastic boxs attached to the bottom of our Scamp 16.

One nice attribute of the Sewer Solution, particularly with the Scamp with its separate tank drains is the SS ability to send a high speed jet of water directly into the respective tanks and clean the tanks pretty well. This same Jet can be re-directed to clean the SS drain hose.

I have plastic post caps on each end of the Fence post. They fit pretty tightly. In addition I drilled a hole thru the caps and the posts and use a #8 wing nut simply screwed thru the cap into the post.

Additionally I run a piece of bungee cord thru the center of the cap and into a hole thru the post with a knot on each end.

There's probably pictures under Modifications/Preparing a 1991 Scamp. If you can't find them let me know and I'll repost.

The attached picture is of my son's trailer. He does not use them for a sewer hose. One is used for his clothes line poles. The other is presently empty. Their primary purpose is to support a bumper box.

One advantage of the 5"x5" fence post is that it is large enough to hold hose hardware and things like a rubber donut, ....
Attached Thumbnails
Sewer Pipes.jpg  

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:16 PM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking Rubber Bumper Plugs

My Fiber Stream's frame rails end in an angle bracket to bolt a bumper to. I lined the 6' "Fence Post" up and drilled vertically off-center holes through it and also enlarged the holes in a pair of 4" angle brackets for stiffness. Pushing the hex-head bolt through the holes from inside the post, it penetrates a flat washer, the plastic fence post, then the 4" "L" bracket, and finally the trailer frame bracket with a lock washer and a nut on the back side. The hose fits past the bolt-head due to the off-center mount being nearer to the lower corner where there is dead space and not on center where the hose is the widest. Then I got a pair of the WirthCo #76825 Rubber Bumper Plugs which start out convex (dimpled out) and you press in each end until they're concave (dimpled in). They have holes in the center to stick a (gloved) finger into to pull them back to convex and off the end of the fence post. These holes also ventilate the hose to dry it.
Attached Thumbnails
000_1275.jpg  
Old 06-18-2012, 06:36 PM   #6

Name: Steve and Janna
Trailer: '02 Scamp 13
North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
We keep the Sewer Solution in one of our 5 plastic boxs attached to the bottom of our Scamp 16.
Norm and Ginny, I realize this is a bit of a hijack (sorry everyone), but I'd love to know more about the plastic boxes. With a 13 footer I'm interested in any and all approaches to increase storage capacity. Any pics?
Thanks, Steve
Steve_N_Janna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:06 PM   #7

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Steve,

Here's a link to some pictures. I have two types of plastic boxes, 2 big and 3 small. I use them for rarely accessed items. The larger ones are on slides.

If you want detailed pictures let me know and I'll be glad to provide a series of detailed pictures and will do it under Preparing a 1991 Scamp, not to hijack the thread

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...-46387-16.html

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:20 PM   #8

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
spoken like a true ex-moderator, stay healthy you two....
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:15 AM   #9

Trailer: Eggcamper 17 ft Electric
Registry
My sewer hose fits in a 4" PVC pipe that I've mounted just behind my tongue box. It's a tight fit, but it works. I didn't think about drilling holes, but that's a good idea. When I stored the hose in the rear bumper, the rust inside chafed the hose and produced leaks after awhile. Very messy when the hose was used.

I bent aluminum straps to attach the PVC to the frame.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
TongueBox-1.JPG  
Ron F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:01 AM   #10

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Registry
On my Fiber Stream, I removed the rear bumper, and custom built two rear hanger brackets for two 4 inch PVC Weeping Tile. It already has holes drilled in it for drainage. I cut off the bell end, and used regular 4" PVC fittings to attach a screw cap at one end, and a full cap at the other. The lower pipe hods my sewer hose, the upper one extra tent poles for my tarp rig for inclement weather. I went with the round pipe since I noticed the hose wearing badly from bouncing around in thge square tubes, whether metal or PVC.

Look here:
The best amateur photography lives on Webshots

Vic
Victor Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:23 AM   #11

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
I throw my two sewer hoses along with all the fittings into a Rubbermaid bin which I keep in the back of my pickup truck. When we return home I thoroughly wash and dry them and return them to the bin. If we were ever to take an extended trip this probably wouldn't be ideal because they stay wet inside the bin.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:45 AM   #12

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
The Scamp provided tube mounted to the front of the trailer was too short for a long enough hose, so I picked up a longer version from Camping World. I think it was about 6' long. I ordered 2 additional end cap mounts which I modified by removing the cap and sanding off the internal flange so the mounts would slide over the tube to be positioned and glued in place to fit the trailer frame spacing. I cut off the mounting flanges on the end caps, as they would not be used or needed. I mounted the new longer tube under the trailer just aft of the grey water outlet. The newly relocated mounts were fastened to the trailer frame with large sheet metal screws. The heavy duty 15' hose I purchased wouldn't fit into the tube because the coupling ears protruded too far from the hose body. I sanded them down with a belt sander and they fit nicely with no harm done to the couplings. I removed the stock Scamp tube from the front of the rig for a cleaner look. I will post pictures when I get back home.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:04 PM   #13

Name: John
Trailer: 13' 2012 Scamp
Wisconsin
I took a different approach for now. I didn't like the look of the default scamp mount on the front of the trailer so I had them leave it off.

Currently using a Kingsford briquet storage bin - perfect size and fits great in the front storage closet of our 13' front bathroom scamp. I can fit a large 20' hose complete with attachments, clorox spray, toilet brush, and gloves all nicely self contained.

I ordered it from Amazon, but later found it at Home Depot for $10 cheaper.
Attached Thumbnails
Sewer Hose Storage.jpg   Sewer Hose Storage-2.jpg  

JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:20 PM   #14

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I didn't like the Idea of my spare being in such a precarious position, so I built a steel bumper from 4" light guage steel. the whole thing weighs 11lbs and the most expensive part was buying the two square rubber plugs for the ends. It not only offers additional protection, but provides ample storage for the sewer hose.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0015.JPG  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:04 AM   #15

Name: Gary & Sonja
Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot B17G
California
Registry
Floyd,

Where do you get the rubber plugs from. I need something like that
Pomfritz is offline   Reply With Quote