Stove hood mod - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-19-2012, 02:04 PM   #1

Name: Dave and Shelly
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe Casita "New Name: Eggspensive"
Iowa
Stove hood mod

So my stove hood fan didn't work and I have seen some where on the forums where someone modified a little fan to put over the hole that is left when you take the hood out. I can't find it, been to three forums to check for it and can't find what i am looking for. THe person that did it took the hood out and put something that looked like a two fan system back in. If anyone knows where i seen it can you post a link. Dave is working on the camper and I want to show him that mod before he tears into it. Thanks for your help...

Old 02-19-2012, 02:10 PM   #2

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
I've always liked what Casita Greg did with a cookie sheet and two computer fans. The cookie sheet still provides protection without being intrusive: hood for 2 burner stove

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 03:24 PM   #3

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I've always liked what Casita Greg did with a cookie sheet and two computer fans. The cookie sheet still provides protection without being intrusive: hood for 2 burner stove
I would think that you'd want some kind of metal plate to disperse the heat on the underside of the cabinet in case the burners were accidentally left on with no cooking pan to absorb the heat.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:50 PM   #4

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
Shelly

There will be a big hole in the wall where the vent goes outside and then there will be 6 small holes under the cabinet.
4 Screws to hold the thing up and for some reason 2 holes for the wiring?

As you saw on them '02 I just covered the vent hole as I rarely cook on the stove anyway and even if I do the roof vent will take care of it just fine.

I would not mind sticking a window there though like in a Scamp,I really liked the one I had in my 16'
Old 02-20-2012, 08:26 AM   #5

Name: Robert
Trailer: Airstream 23D International Serenity
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
I would think that you'd want some kind of metal plate to disperse the heat on the underside of the cabinet in case the burners were accidentally left on with no cooking pan to absorb the heat.
We have used ours a lot since we removed the super-intrusive Casita-supplied stove vent and find that there is no excessive heating of the fiberglass cabinet bottom... actually, the fiberglass surface doesn't get nearly as hot as the outside shell does during these Texas summers.

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_5757.JPG  
Old 02-20-2012, 09:08 AM   #6

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob and Linda View Post
We have used ours a lot since we removed the super-intrusive Casita-supplied stove vent and find that there is no excessive heating of the fiberglass cabinet bottom... actually, the fiberglass surface doesn't get nearly as hot as the outside shell does during these Texas summers.

Rob

That is good to know.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:42 AM   #7

Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Registry
I also removed my stove hood and cook without it. As many campers do, I use my stove for smaller cooking jobs (certainly not for a 2-hour long pot roast, etc, which I'd use a crock pot for). As such, I don't produce much heat, or 'guck' in the air so I don't see any difference on the bottoms of my upper cabinets. I just left the vent on the outside, infilled the hole on inside with bubble insulation, and hung a cork board over it. It's so much better without the hood!
Old 02-21-2012, 05:48 PM   #8

Name: Dave and Shelly
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe Casita "New Name: Eggspensive"
Iowa
Just like Eds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post
Shelly

There will be a big hole in the wall where the vent goes outside and then there will be 6 small holes under the cabinet.
4 Screws to hold the thing up and for some reason 2 holes for the wiring?

As you saw on them '02 I just covered the vent hole as I rarely cook on the stove anyway and even if I do the roof vent will take care of it just fine.

I would not mind sticking a window there though like in a Scamp,I really liked the one I had in my 16'
Yes, Ed, i loved how it opened up the area there. I think for now i am just going to put a vent there and then maybe down the road when i run out of honeydo jobs i will quietly suggest a fan mod. I do think i would use the stove top from time to time so it might be a good idea.