Street Side Power Outlet - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2017, 06:28 PM   #21

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
OK, I see it now. I guess I was fixated on looking for a regular duplex receptacle. Is there a reason that you decided to mount it so high up?
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 08:42 PM   #22

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
OK, I see it now. I guess I was fixated on looking for a regular duplex receptacle. Is there a reason that you decided to mount it so high up?
So I don't have to bend over to plug something in?
Plus the cabinet at that level already has a bunch of electronics and electrics in it like a television booster and power equipment such as a true sine inverter. but I guess really the answer is NO not really.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:31 PM   #23

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1982 Burro
Minnesota
Registry
This is "curbside" on my Burro. Very handy location for an outside outlet.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20170206_105259021.jpg  
Old 03-07-2017, 10:25 AM   #24
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Adding an outlet eliminates using a extension cord at the expense of another hole and place to leak in the shell. I'm wondering what folks are using these outlets for that they would make that trade off?
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 10:50 AM   #25

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We have a 12/3 extension cord which we plug into the 20 amp 120 volt receptacle on the campgrounds electrical pedestal.
We use the cord so when we camp with our grandkids they can have power in their tent . I don't see the neccessity to draw power from the trailer or cut another hole in my trailer when another source of power is readily available.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 12:10 PM   #26

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Adding an outlet eliminates using a extension cord at the expense of another hole and place to leak in the shell. I'm wondering what folks are using these outlets for that they would make that trade off?
It would be no more of a potential spot to leak than any of the other 100 or so penetrations in a typical fiberglass (or other type) trailer. That's counting all the rivet holes as well, which IMO, are more prone to leaks than most of the other through-hull penetrations.
Old 03-07-2017, 05:49 PM   #27

Minnesota
Registry
A properly installed exterior outlet is no more of a potential leak than any other opening. They call them "convenience outlets" for a reason.
I'll use mine for an electric chainsaw, radio, tv, or anything else I want at the outside table. No cords through the doorway.
Also, my outside outlet is powered by the inverter, as well as shore power cord. I'm not always parked at a power pole.
Old 03-07-2017, 05:59 PM   #28

Registry
Quote:
It would be no more of a potential spot to leak than any of the other 100 or so penetrations in a typical fiberglass (or other type) trailer. That's counting all the rivet holes as well, which IMO, are more prone to leaks than most of the other through-hull penetrations.
You know what they say about opinions and holes!
Old 03-08-2017, 05:09 AM   #29

Minnesota
Registry
Floyd- Everyone has their own opinion, for sure!
Through-hull repairs/modifications, done properly, are nothing to be afraid of. A tight, waterproof trailer is not really rocket science, just a matter of proper install and maintenance.
We've done many through-hull mods on watercraft, aircraft, and RV's, with no adverse effects. I don't think folks need to be afraid to make their eggs user friendly in the area of adding an outside outlet, should they want one.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:36 AM   #30

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by real550A View Post
Through-hull repairs/modifications, done properly, are nothing to be afraid of. A tight, waterproof trailer is not really rocket science, just a matter of proper install and maintenance.
We've done many through-hull mods on watercraft, aircraft, and RV's, with no adverse effects. I don't think folks need to be afraid to make their eggs user friendly in the area of adding an outside outlet, should they want one.
Old 03-08-2017, 12:27 PM   #31
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by real550A View Post
Don't assume because my post followed yours that it was directed to you. It wasn't. I was simply curious why some need an outside outlet. As far as holes in the hull, there are numerous threads here of folks dealing with the repair of a rotten floor. Holes in the hull are always the cause. Usually its leaking windows or vents. The worst cases are the ones with encapsulated wood. Like Burros and Uhauls, and Trilliums. Afraid, that's my worst nightmare.

P.S. Can't say I've ever stayed in a campground that would let me use a chainsaw.
Old 03-08-2017, 12:35 PM   #32

Registry
Quote:
I was simply curious why some need an outside outlet.
It's maybe something that not everyone needs or even wants, but for those of us that do like them, it comes down to having one in a handy location. As someone mentioned earlier, that's why they call them convenience outlets.
Old 03-08-2017, 03:03 PM   #33

Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I put my outside convenience outlet by the door below the porch light just below a portable table height. Its a very popular spot for us as we can use it for electric crock pot, electric skillet, our new wave oven and even the occasional blender duty. When we camp with the kids and grand kids usually there is a phone or two plugged in. If we have power at the site that's usually a very popular outlet. Of course you have to have a portable table to go with it.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 03:08 PM   #34
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
I put my outside convenience outlet by the door below the porch light just below a portable table height. Its a very popular spot for us as we can use it for electric crock pot, electric skillet, our new wave oven and even the occasional blender duty. When we camp with the kids and grand kids usually there is a phone or two plugged in. If we have power at the site that's usually a very popular outlet. Of course you have to have a portable table to go with it.
That answers my question. But, what's a new wave oven?
Old 03-08-2017, 04:10 PM   #35

Minnesota
Registry
I totally agree with the rotten floor statement. It's always a roof vent or window. These leaks are caused by shrinking weatherstrip, squeezed out butyl tape, UV damage, etc.
People bought these units new, and used them for years, but few owners inspected and repaired these areas. A trailer parked outside 365 days a year is going to leak, eventually. Neglect is a camper's enemy.
Old 03-08-2017, 04:22 PM   #36

Registry
Quote:
That answers my question. But, what's a new wave oven?
https://www.amazon.com/NuWave-20632-...=New+Wave+Oven
Old 03-08-2017, 05:01 PM   #37
Raz

Quote:
Well there you go. That's what I get for living in a cave. Sounds like the greatest thing since sauerkraut. Alas, I have no exterior outlet, so I'll probably pass. I didn't buy the Cobb oven everyone was talking about either. That uses 4 briquette of charcoal to cook a banquet. Imagine. Back to the cave.
Old 03-08-2017, 05:43 PM   #38

Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Unless your cave has power you can't use a new wave oven. If you use your home made charcoal in the New Wave it will not work properly and will melt.
Your open fire in your cave will work fine just don't put it in your trailer.

Interesting your cave has internet though. I like caves just not to live in.

There's a whole world of things to buy that you really don't need, of those things my favorite is the New Wave oven.

Just line the bottom of the lower pan with wide foil formed to the shape of the pan and let it hang outside the dome and clean up is a breeze. More than half of what we cook at home is done on the new wave. Its quick, clean up is a breeze, no added heat or smell added into the house. My only issue I had with it was cooking pork chops they came out tough. They are fine if you use shake and bake coating before you put them in the New Wave though. The infomercial is about 92 % correct.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 07:27 PM   #39
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
Unless your cave has power you can't use a new wave oven. If you use your home made charcoal in the New Wave it will not work properly and will melt.
Your open fire in your cave will work fine just don't put it in your trailer.

Interesting your cave has internet though. I like caves just not to live in.

There's a whole world of things to buy that you really don't need, of those things my favorite is the New Wave oven.

Just line the bottom of the lower pan with wide foil formed to the shape of the pan and let it hang outside the dome and clean up is a breeze. More than half of what we cook at home is done on the new wave. Its quick, clean up is a breeze, no added heat or smell added into the house. My only issue I had with it was cooking pork chops they came out tough. They are fine if you use shake and bake coating before you put them in the New Wave though. The infomercial is about 92 % correct.
Raz