Strides Made...Still Much to Do - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2015, 06:47 PM   #1

Name: jen
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003
Georgia
Talking Strides Made...Still Much to Do

Hi all you helpful folks...

Just to let you know I've renovated my bathroom and it's good. I got the HEPVO valve mod so I don't have to worry about drying out my yucko ptrap ever again, any smells. I got the ceramic Dometic low profile toilet for $100 plus shipping, a new showerhead that pulses out air with the water to make the flow stronger, and this very cool towel rod that Little House Customs make, that just fit right onto the pipe. My bathroom is looking pretty good. I also got the high faucet for the sink in the main area.

Further questions:

1) I have this casita parked at an RV park now (yeah, wasting money, but I want to keep the a/c on and have it be safe and we plan to try it out there soon). I got someone at the park to wash and wax it for a very modest fee--but it was a very hot day. I left while he was still working on it, but around the curved top areas, the turtle wax wasn't buffing great. Maybe it had already hardened in the heat. He said if I get him a $20 buffer it would be easier; or he'd just keep working on it, and/or add more wax. Any thoughts? I haven't seen the finished product yet so it may look great now who knows.

2) The place where the electric cable goes in--and there's that little curved opening that critters can get in, including mice. Mine unfortunately measured 1.5 inches--so I can't get the LHC mod. So should I stuff in steel wool or is there another simple mod that is cheap?

3) I don't have too much counter space for chopping/preparing meals, obviously. Is there a good hanging cutting board for the sink you recommend that's the right dimensions, and/or some type of cover to put over the 2 burner stove that I can also put a cutting board on top of? Has anybody else added mods, like a small folding cutting board that attaches somewhere? I can't see a place to do it that wouldn't cover something I need (switch, outlet)

4) What types of replacement blinds can I get--like translucent sort of "cloth" that sort of zigzags up, rather than those annoying miniblinds (which I am going to have to clean one by one)

5) Has anyone tried the Bus Depot Ezy Awning instead of the Fiamma (a huge savings).

6)
jenbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 10:06 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Jen,

I just happen to make stovetop covers to which people attach cutting boards...
about half way down this page:

Photo-Gallery

Sounds like you are talking Roman shades to replace the miniblinds?

Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 10:30 PM   #3
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Jen, I sometimes use a baker's cooling rack over my Casita's sink. It provides a prep surface but at the same time there is some sink functionality. I posted a picture of it back in 2008:

Making a Sink Cover.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 10:10 AM   #4

Georgia
tractors1 I PMed you. Mary F, thanks!
Old 07-13-2015, 07:14 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Jen, you really can't apply wax in the hot sun. I doubt more buffing will accomplish much at this point. It may not look beautiful, but at least you've got some wax on it for now.

Mine was somewhat chalky when I bought it. The first few waxings were very difficult to buff out and produced spotty results, especially on the roof, which, naturally, had the most UV damage. But by keeping up with it, it's gotten easier and the results have gotten better over time.

I'd let it go for now. Next time wax on a cooler, overcast day and in the shade if possible.

If you were closer I'd offer you my power buffer. I tried it but had better results by hand. It's a workout, though, even on a 13' Scamp!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 07:48 AM   #6

Georgia
Jon in AZ, I thought that might be the case. I'm upset because the guy at the park who waxed it (who works there), said in advance you can't wax it in the hot sun and he'd do it in the evening. When I drove in on Saturday at noon to stop by the trailer and see a friend, he'd already washed it and was waxing it. So not much I could do. Then he claimed I needed to buy a buffer but I see no reason to do that.

It doesn't look BAD, in fact it looks cleaner, but it doesn't look beautiful like it should.

So if I ever have him wax again I'll insist on being there and either evening or a cooler day of the year.

Meanwhile--should I just wait a few months until it wears off and then redo? Thanks a lot.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:36 AM   #7

Arizona
Registry
If I can live with it, that's what I'd do. But if it will bother you every time you look at it, you may have to get him to work on it some more. I wouldn't expect "beautiful" results on a 12 year-old trailer* after only one waxing, though. Mine was 4 years old when I bought it and probably hadn't seen a coat of wax in its short life. It needed about 4 semi-annual waxings before I began to notice it was getting easier and looking more uniformly shiny. Last waxing was back in February and I noticed yesterday rain is still beading on the roof, so keeping at it pays off.

*I though I saw on an earlier post yours is a 2003, but may have misunderstood.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:40 AM   #8

Georgia
Yes, my trailer is a 2003.
Do we need to give it a light wash before waxing again? I guess so,right?
Yeah, maybe I can convince him to do more waxing :-). It is true that I noticed it most on the curved upper part--that the sun hits the most. It buffed out better on the side.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:48 AM   #9

Georgia
what i got for the sink

I decided to get this:

Amazon.com: ExcelSteel 201 Expandable Stainless Over The Sink Strainer With Cutting Board: Food Strainers: Kitchen & Dining

It's adjustable so it should hopefully fit? I haven't measured, though.
In addition, it will help stop stuff from going down the drain, even with a little wire basket over the drain. So it will help the gray water tank.
AND it has a little cutting board.
We shall see
Old 07-13-2015, 08:48 AM   #10

Arizona
Registry
Always wash before waxing. Otherwise you're scouring fine grit into the finish. If there is much chalkiness, a light buffing with Bar Keeper's Friend (a fiberglass-friendly scouring powder), followed by a thorough rinse with clear water before waxing will remove oxidation so the wax can adhere more evenly. I turn the powder into a thin paste before applying so that it is gentler on the gelcoat. This is a one-time treatment for an older, chalkier unit, not a regular thing.
Old 07-13-2015, 09:01 AM   #11

Georgia
Thanks for all the good advice--and the reminder to order barkeeper's friend (the caulk around the outside of my door is discolored with little specks).