suggestion for lighting trailer interior - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-31-2014, 12:25 PM   #15

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
I think you are right about the flat panels OR at least that provider. 3 of the panels have partially dead LEDs and one shorted and melted the 3M sticky tape. Not so good. I think I will switch to the larger 50 LED bayonet that I saw and give them a whirl. I bought some of the smaller ones and they are still functioning. The others are about 1.5 inches long. Still a lot cheaper than Campers World at 11 bucks a pop.

If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 12:31 PM   #16

Name: David
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
Cumberland, Indiana
Registry
Check out this thread on inexpensive LED lights and the need for a voltage regulator. It sounds like you are getting too many volts to the lights which is causing the heat and drop outs.

Inexpensive LED lights from IKEA

Spanke

Old 07-31-2014, 12:55 PM   #17

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Send a message via Skype™ to Night Sailor
I left my porch light running continuously for several days now including daytime as I have few loads on my electrical system. It's been on a day and a half plus during two days one of shuck is hot and still works great. I find it lights up that portion of the driveway well so I plan to leave it on. Perhaps I'll give it a torture test to see how long it lasts.

I have several spare lamps plus a pile of old incandescent bulbs as spares. So I can afford to load one up to see about the performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 08-01-2014, 12:20 PM   #18

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp 13 & TDI tugboat
Ohio
Yes, the cheapo panel lights are clearly not suited for varying voltage levels.

I just ordered 2 of these internally regulated 1156 replacement light panels from superbrightleds.com.

1156 LED Bulb - Single Intensity 9 High Power SMD LED Lamp | LED Brake Light, Turn Light and Tail Light Bulbs | LED Car Bulbs | Super Bright LEDs | Super Bright LEDs

There is a tiny V regulator in the 1156 base that keeps the board at a happy 8VDC regardless of input voltage, anywhere within 8-30VDC, so no problems with overheating or variable brightness. Yes, they are expensive, but I don't have time to rewire the trailer with additional 12V puck lights under the kitchen cabinet, above the dinette, next to the door, etc.
I'll post up again after they're installed and passed (or failed) a 24hr burn-in test.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:58 AM   #19

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp 13 & TDI tugboat
Ohio
Thumbs up They worked!

Follow up to my previous post:
The regulated LED panels from SuperbrightLEDs worked perfectly. Uniform brightness, regardless of input voltage, the panels only get warm in operation, no overheating or stankyness.

Expensive, but it was easy 2 minute install and cut the interior lighting load significantly (dunno how much, haven't checked w/ ammeter.)
Old 08-15-2014, 08:38 AM   #20

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
You are right- You get what you pay for. I might design a little zener circuit regulator as they are really cheap and see what or if its worth it to go that route or just replace with the Super Brights. Thanks for your input. I might try one for grins. I have a surplus store here and can get the 8vdc zeners for about a dime each and a 70 ohm 1/8w resistor.
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 10:51 AM   #21

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Another consideration when choosing a light level or lumen level is your age .Younger people need less light to perform a specific task then someone like me who is in his 60's
At my age I often wish I had the eyesight and the manual dexterity of a 20 year old . I put a brighter LED lamp in the fixture above the head of the bed just so I could read a book at night
Old 09-22-2014, 06:27 AM   #22

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Send a message via Skype™ to Night Sailor
When I came back after a five day boat delivery I found my light dead. I swapped a bulb. Still dead. Tested the original. It worked. Turned out my brother switched it off for me thinking he was doing me a favor. I'd forgotten there was an external switch for this light. I've had it on for the last few weeks with no problems. I leave it on day and night as it draws almost no power.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 09-22-2014, 07:32 AM   #23

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Steve, We're all LEDs now, partially because their blue(r) light provides a higher contrast for my eyes when reading.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 09:07 AM   #24

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1994 Scamp 16
Arkansas
Where is the best place to purchase good quality LED bulbs for a low price? There appears to be much discussion on the quality of LED bulbs. How can you tell a good quality LED bulb? Is the higher price bulb the better bulb? How can you tell a good LED bulb from a bad one?
Thanks for the information!!!!

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else! Yogi Berra
Nut501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 09:56 AM   #25

Name: Rick
Trailer: Burro
Massachusetts
Don't forget about dimmers. If you are handy and are installing LED lights on cabinets with acessable innards, it is easy to wire in 12V dimmers in place of the switch. Be sure to get PWM (pulse width modulation) type for LEDs. We did this in our Burro and love the results We found some puck style fixtures containing 3 very bright warm white LEDs and dim them back to the best brightness for the task.

We also got some of the forementioned LED strips, cut them to length and made a nice custom light strip over the sink/stove area. Dimmable also.

Our lights are 12V only cause we boondock often and they don't consume significant power. Even when plugged in we don't give our 12V lights a second thought.

Rick

Tags
light, lighting