Suggestions for inexpensive DIY repairs - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2007, 09:08 AM   #1

Trailer: Former 1978 Trillium 4500 owner
1. I looked everywhere to find a replacement weather seal for around the entry door of my Trill. the closest I could find to original rubber was an automotive seal that slips on over the "edge" of a panel and stays in place with a friction fit. Well show me a FGRV with a uniform thickness along the doorway opening and this stuff would work great! ENTER THE CHEAP FIX... Hollow foam insulation tubes for the copper pipes in your home. They come in conveniant 6' lenghts at a buck apiece! Get the kind that you remove a protective strip from the slit in them to expose the adhesive that bonds them once they are in place. This adhesive adheres really well to both the gel coat outside and the ensolite inside. Viola... a nice water tite seal for around your door. Also great for taller folks that have a tendancy to bonk thier head.
BEFORE:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture_024.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	8547

AFTER:

Name:	Picture_032.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	8548

2. A previous owner of our Trill had done a really poor attempt at FG repair on the bottem front corners of the shell. It was ugly, uneven, discolored, etc. I tried sanding... bad idea... I am pretty sensitive to FG fibers on my skin. I tried a UV curing body filler... what a horrible disaster. I tried spray on "rocker panel" coatings... less than thrilled. Now I had an even worse looking mess to deal with! ENTER THE CHEAP FIX... one quart of Tremclad rust paint... "RV White"... and a bunch of sand. Put on a coat of paint with a roller... throw sand all over wet paint... roll again to coat sand and smooth finish. Repeat a few times then let it dry well. Put on a final coat of paint, without sand, and you have a nice looking chip guard type finish for about $10.
BEFORE:

Name:	Picture_017.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	8545

AFTER:

Name:	Picture_035.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	8550
[attachment=10703:atta
chment]

OK cheapos' like me... I showed you mine...
Attached Thumbnails
Picture_022.jpg   Picture_033.jpg  

Picture_036.jpg   Picture_037.jpg  

Kevin Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 10:19 AM   #2

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
From one fellow cheapo to another.....show us the pictures!
(Ps: Good job.)
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 01:18 PM   #3

Name: Brenda
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300
British Columbia
Hi Kevin......being cheap is great, isn't it? One particular addition that we made to Dewey our 1974 Trill was an electric water pump.....no - not $80 from an RV place. We used a car windshield washer pump which cost around $11. Works just great!

I will think of more, but this is one of my favorites.

Brenda Novakovski
Saskatoon, SK
Attached Thumbnails
Resize_of_running_water_new_tap.JPG  
Brenda Novakovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 07:39 PM   #4

Trailer: 1976 13 ft Boler and 1980 Trillium 5500
I needed sumpin' to hold up my gravel guard at the front of the Boler.. hmm...

Busted cedar arrows! The arrow's plastic nocks fit perfectly over the original metal fittings - total cost? Maybe a buck, but I had lots of archery fun with them first! Alec
Attached Thumbnails
nock2.JPG   nock.JPG  

Al Stansell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 04:22 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
1. I looked everywhere to find a replacement weather seal for around the entry door of my Trill. the closest I could find to original rubber was an automotive seal that slips on over the "edge" of a panel and stays in place with a friction fit. Well show me a FGRV with a uniform thickness along the doorway opening and this stuff would work great! ENTER THE CHEAP FIX... Hollow foam insulation tubes for the copper pipes in your home. They come in conveniant 6' lenghts at a buck apiece! Get the kind that you remove a protective strip from the slit in them to expose the adhesive that bonds them once they are in place. This adhesive adheres really well to both the gel coat outside and the ensolite inside. Viola... a nice water tite seal for around your door. Also great for taller folks that have a tendancy to bonk thier head.
BEFORE:

AFTER:

2. A previous owner of our Trill had done a really poor attempt at FG repair on the bottem front corners of the shell. It was ugly, uneven, discolored, etc. I tried sanding... bad idea... I am pretty sensitive to FG fibers on my skin. I tried a UV curing body filler... what a horrible disaster. I tried spray on "rocker panel" coatings... less than thrilled. Now I had an even worse looking mess to deal with! ENTER THE CHEAP FIX... one quart of Tremclad rust paint... "RV White"... and a bunch of sand. Put on a coat of paint with a roller... throw sand all over wet paint... roll again to coat sand and smooth finish. Repeat a few times then let it dry well. Put on a final coat of paint, without sand, and you have a nice looking chip guard type finish for about $10.
BEFORE:

AFTER:

OK cheapos' like me... I showed you mine...
I really think this is a great idea.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:05 PM   #6

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft ('The Pod')
Quote:
I needed sumpin' to hold up my gravel guard at the front of the Boler.. hmm...

Busted cedar arrows! The arrow's plastic nocks fit perfectly over the original metal fittings - total cost? Maybe a buck, but I had lots of archery fun with them first! Alec
Is the gravel guard fastened to the arrow at the top, or is the guard just resting on the end of the arrow?
Thanks for the clarification.

Vivian
Vivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 07:21 PM   #7

Trailer: Two 13 ft Scamps
Registry
This pipe insulation idea is excellent! I have used it for many things that its not intended for (story of my life) but never thought of this! THANK YOU!
jaye580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 08:46 PM   #8

Trailer: 1976 13 ft Boler and 1980 Trillium 5500
Quote:
Is the gravel guard fastened to the arrow at the top, or is the guard just resting on the end of the arrow?
Thanks for the clarification.
Vivian
Hi Vivian - the guard just rests on the arrow shaft ends - there are no points on the shafts. Alec
Al Stansell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 07:38 PM   #9

Trailer: 76 Boler
I just spent an afternoon looking for the trim around the door, thank you for the solution! What an awesome idea to use pipe insulation tubes.. off to Home Depot I go....
Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 04:21 AM   #10

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
here are some of the improvements I have made to my Lady-Bug 13ft Boler.
http://s54.photobucket.com/albums/g108/can...2013ft%20Boler/
I too look for the cheapest way of doing things and things like the shelves, bunk rail and floor racks for bins are just from wood or materials I had laying around.
Other improvements such as jacks were found in junk yards and for a 6pk of hard cidar had the guy weld them on.
These improvements such as battery / with box, wireing, exhaust fan and a water pump and breaker box are a bit more expensive but well worth the $$$ spent.
Gerry the canoebuilder
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote