sunrader - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2015, 09:30 AM   #1
Rix

Name: Rick
Trailer: sunrader
Washington
sunrader

I'm Rick. In tacoma wa.

SO I bought this slide in for cheap
(I have to imagine this sounds familiar)
Sunrader made by gardner pacific sometime in 1975

Truck isn't mine.

The interior is....humble.

I started blowing it apart.

Wifey helping.

So far, I've found a lot of wood rot, a little bit of inner fiberglass rot where the wood and fiberglass are laminated together.
And a bunch of questionable previous work.

I got it off the truck and on the long bed trailer where it'll live most of it's life. THAT was interesting.

The windows and stuff are good. the roof vents are good, but I may replace the small one that's very flimsy.
The equipped cooler thingie is likely going away. I have an edgestar fridge I can put in.
The original stove/oven/heater may make the cut. Not sure yet.
the bottom bucket/floor dealy needs a bunch of new and better wood.
It looks like this one was designed to be supported by the rails of the upper portion, not the bottom bucket, but I really have no way of saying for sure.

I'm not real certain of how the window gaskets should go back in (with or without sealant) but They're easy enough to pull back out.

Getting the main shell sound is job one. So that's where I'm concentrating first.

Oh and the fabric kickout on the right side is a mystery. I'm thinking it's mainly there to allow the board for the bead to be used as an auxiliary, but I'm totally guessing about that.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:45 AM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Congratulations on your Sunrader Camper.
What you have is one of the very few "Full Size" Sunrader Campers that was built by Gardner-Pacific. While most Sunrader Campers (those for Toyota and other small pick-ups) were built in the Vallejo, CA facility between 1971 & 1978, I believe yours was built in Santa Ana, CA.

That version is easily identified by the wrap-over side windows. Survivors are scarce as it shared no major parts with the two versions built for smaller pick-ups.

Gardner Pacific also owned Amerigo slide in campers and trailers and they experimented a lot with what was called the "Snap & Nap" tilt out bed idea from that company on a few Sunraders as well. This may have been something they tried with the camper you have.

If you Google Sunrader and Germany, there is one in Germany that was extensively rebuilt over there a few years back with a plethora of pictures. The German owner has it on a restored Dodge pick-up and they show the combo at what's called "Old Timer" shows in Europe. if I come across the link I will post it for you.

Good Luck

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:01 AM   #3

Name: Adrian
Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA
Manitoba
Rick thanks for posting this with pics and Bob thanks for the info.

I saw one of these six days ago on an old pickup pulling out of Miami. That is Miami MB not FL!

Adrian

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:34 AM   #4

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
That is too cool. Please keep us posted on your progress.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:43 AM   #5

As mentioned earlier, there were two different versions made. Of the smaller versions, (they had two different floor footprints) originally for slide-in use on Toyota pick-ups and a few mid sized pick-ups, there were over 10,000 built between 1971 and 1978, of the larger version, such as Rick has above, only a few hundred were made. The giveaway (other than size) is in the side window that wraps over the top in the larger one.

There is almost a cult market for the smaller of the small ones to mount on pre-2004(?) Toyota and Nissan 4x4's (they were much smaller than later ones)

The top half of the smaller one became the first Sunrader motorhome in 1978:
Here's a link to more pics of mine from a few years back;
http://s363.photobucket.com/user/adv...?sort=4&page=1

Old 08-03-2015, 12:42 PM   #6
Rix

Washington
I can't find ANY info on this. Not so much as a single picture on google.
Fortunately (or unfortunately) I'm not doing an original resto on this.
So tracking down original stuff isn't on the menu. Looks like a gooood thing too.....
This might get drug through the woods a little.... so I'm going to have to up-armor it a little.
The tub (is there a correct term for where you stand?) might get a little weight added. By "might" I mean "will". Either 2x3 or 2x4 or something (steel?) for the box frame and heavier marine grade plywood. the steel section I added i think I'ma make into a ladder frame on either side, and bossible across the front. I'm good with steel. Steel I know. Wood... less so. Fiberglass I'm so-so.

Looking at it last night, I also think the whole body is starting to bow in the center. May have to make a plate to suck it back in and reinforce it.

I'll definitely be updating.
Old 08-03-2015, 02:39 PM   #7

I have contacted the shop in Germany where the restoration was done and have this pic for starters. I will be downloading more later today and will post a link:

Old 08-03-2015, 03:56 PM   #8
Rix

Washington
That's the monkey right there. A few small details are different. The interior layout and the rear part of the bottom. Mine wraps around the outside of the truck bed. But that's definitely it.
EDIT
The "after" layout looks different. the before is identical from what I can see.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:46 PM   #9

There are some more pics coming. I know that he switched out the wrap over windows. I saw that it also has the "Snap & Nap bed tilt out.

The smaller version, that became the motorhome, has a California King size bed that pulls out from the overhead, over the dinette. Does your have that feature?

Old 08-03-2015, 05:01 PM   #10
Rix

Washington
I'm not sure. the overhead has a (flimsy feeling) carpeted section, then there's a piece of wood with the matching carpet on it, and a lip on one end, that isn't connected. It is free to move about, but the only way to do anything with it, given it's size, would be if the tilt out is open.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:34 PM   #11
Rix

Washington
I was given a messed up flagstaff cobra a while back. Figured I'd use it for a donor for as much as I can.
So I changed gears a little and assessed what I had to work with.

Another cooler fridge
External stove
Mounted and separate tables
Heater unit
And 2 big bed cushions, lots of couch cushions, all with nice clean covers.
Bed sliders
Power unit
Extra siding, etc etc.
Going to try to get some more done on the sunrader tomorrow.
Rix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 10:38 PM   #12
Rix

Washington
I'm currently cutting out rotted wood and fiberglass.

Getting the wood outta the roof's center section.

Here's a pic of the cross section of the window seals.

Rix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:21 AM   #13

Also sign on to toyota-campers@yahoogroups.com there is a lot of Sunrader info there and one of the owners (Turtle Mike) can tell you where to get new window sealing material. I am Sunrader Bob on that site.

Old 08-05-2015, 09:48 AM   #14
Rix

Washington
Joined there. That's a bit tougher to navigate.
Old 08-05-2015, 02:37 PM   #15

There's not much "Navigation" available there, it's basically just a board. But ask Sunrader specific questions and you should get some replies.

Did you see all 13 of the pics I posted? Photo and image hosting, free photo galleries, photo editing

Old 08-05-2015, 03:52 PM   #16
Rix

Washington
That link takes me to my photobucket. lol

I think I saw them all, though, yes.
I still have so many questions. HA!
Old 08-05-2015, 04:14 PM   #17

OOps, I guess it reads the cookie.... I will move them into an album
I will be in Washington in September, I will send you an email if I get over that way.

Old 08-06-2015, 04:46 PM   #18
Rix

Washington
found this
Window rubber seal locking gasket for locker, car, boat, caravan and heavy equipment (Per Foot) - Weatherproofing Window Insulation Kits - Amazon.com

And this site has a couple different ones
https://www.trimlok.com/prod/Two-Pie...LK1179_61.aspx
Might be able to just go ahead and replace it all.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:08 PM   #19

Again, ask Turtle Mike on the Toyota campers site, he is the resident expert on window seals and knows what works. BTW: It is a trim lock product, of which there are many that don't work so well.

Old 08-06-2015, 07:55 PM   #20

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
That window seal looks like what is used on Uhaul camper side windows. Available in several variations at perfectfit.com
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote