Super Solar Compact Jr. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-29-2008, 06:54 PM   #21

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Very interesting project.

Quote:
Just a standard 4x4 one ton truck, like a F-150 or Chevy 1500.
Do you mean half-ton truck?

Quote:
I'm still trying to figure out how I'm building my freezer/frig enclosure. If anyone knows of a website that shows details, I'd be interested. Also, the extensive fiberglass work ahead has me nervous as I've never done any before.
If you can handle metal and wood working then you can handle fiberglass.

By "build frig/freezer enclosure" do you mean the thermal box itself or a cabinet around it? If the latter, that's easy. I have no idea about the former.

Cheers
KB
KamperBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 05:17 AM   #22

Trailer: assorted vintage trailers
Sounds great except you might want to not have your bed right next to the potty. Maybe those kind don't stink, but I might have a "head" problem with that. -Carole
Carole S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 01:00 PM   #23

Trailer: Compact Jr (Super modified)
Red face

Haven't done much the last month.

I did get the Compact Jr. body temporarily mounted to the new frame. I used some 2x4 lumber as a temporary spacer between the body and the frame, to assist the under-body fiberglassing (i.e. filling in the body wheel-wells) and to allow me to lay the butyl tape along the top of all the frame members (between the body and the frame.)

The body just fits between the vertical metal supports, so my idea of using insulated window covers on the existing side windows for the hottest days won't work. I was trying to save some money. Instead I've decided to also remove both side windows and fiberglass it all in, then some time in the future, get a couple of smaller double-paned insulated windows that fit between the vertical metal supports. There's an extra $1500 in cost, at least.

Once I start the fiberglassing and insulating, I'll remove the current pop-up top, cut the 2 inch thick insulation panels so they are shaped approximately like I have illustrated on the picture in black. It's flat along the center half or so, and the angles downward to meet the current roof edge. I've then also created new storage along the entire length of the trailer, on both sides. After cutting the panels, I can then fiberglass the whole thing, using the insulation as a in-place mold. I don't have a clue how heavy of cloth to use (what oz.) or how many layers should I build up. In ideas?

Also, I mounted the top solar panels to the rack. In the picture, you can see the top rack extended fully, with one side opened and the other side closed. I was going to also mount the front panels, but I miscalculated and the front of the top panels hit the back of the front panels. I'm going to need 1 inch extension welded into the front rack's main legs (the ones bolted at the main pivot point) to give the proper space between the top and front panels.

Finally, I still have the cardboard on some of the solar panels because I have not yet attached the rubber rub-guards onto the corners of the solar panels. This is to protect the anodized finish of the solar panels for wearing away when the array is closed and the panels are stacked on one another.

(sorry, the pic is a little blurry)

Click image for larger version

Name:	2008_05_16_08_55_33_001.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	13250
bgeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 01:21 PM   #24

Quote:
I do understand the reasons you give for a small trailer. Heating and cooling and a short wheel base all make sense. And it is nice to be able to park in a pull through double space.
I got a great deal on a Dodge 1500 4x4 standard cab/standard bed for $2500 in great condition. I'll tell you though, I find it almost impossible to back up the trailer with any accuracy. The longer wheelbase of the truck hates the shorter wheelbase of the trailer... I just go around the block When I was pulling the frame with just my tiny Kia sedan, it was still an issue, but easier. I hope I never have to back down 10 miles of a one lane road some day.

Quote:
Sounds great except you might want to not have your bed right next to the potty. Maybe those kind don't stink, but I might have a "head" problem with that. -Carole
They don't stink, and I find it better than dealing with the emptying of a black water tank.
Old 05-17-2008, 07:48 PM   #25

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
THIS IS COOL! A very nice research RV, could have used this for Grad school research, many years agol. Keep up the good work and post more pictures

roddy
Roddy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 06:19 PM   #26

Have not done much of anything on the trailer in the last two months. I got the extensions welded into the front solar panel rack and repainted those sections, so the front solar panels will now fit. I've just been nailing down more details, and reading up on the skills I'll need for the next stage of the project.:

- cut out the fiberglass wheel wells and glass-in the area flush with the rest of the body
- lay down sealant on all the frame members and lower down the body, bolting it into place
- use rigid insulation and create the shape of the new roof section (like a mold), then glass over the insulation to create the roof section
- place the new glassed over insulation on the trailer and finally glass it to the body
- remove the side and front windows and glass-in the openings

I hope to get into this fiberglassing work in the next week or two. The final stage involves ripping out all the interior woodworking and rebilding it/insulating, installing all the interior equipment, installing/insulating the tanks underneath, and finally wiring up the solar panels and the electronics that will track the sun.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:08 PM   #27

Trailer: 1973 Compact II / 2001 Honda CRV SE automatic
Send a message via AIM to Joseph Domingos Send a message via Yahoo to Joseph Domingos
All I can say is WOW!!! You've taken on quite a big task of engineering, creativity, and just plain hard work, so my hat's off to you bro. I am very curious to see how it goes for you though. So far your pics and descriptions have been great, and I'm curious to see more as the project continues. It's almost a shame that you couldn't find a Havasu with the permanently raised top so it would be one less thing for you to have to do...
Keep up the good work though, and know that there are many of us curious FBRVers who are watching with great curiousity, and sending you some great comradery & spirit! hehe
Joe
Joseph Domingos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:09 AM   #28

Quote:
All I can say is WOW!!!
Thanks for the kind words. I'm actually really excited to start the fiberglass work, after such a long break from intensive work. I was a little burned out and needed a break, and also wanted to save up a bit more money for future work. The frame costing what it did really shocked me, and ate away much of the money I had at the time for the project.

I also lost my (off street) parking spot for my Compact Jr trailer a couple months ago, so I had to scramble to buy the truck, then scramble to quickly (and temporarily) mount the trailer body to the frame.

Anyway, hopefully I'll have more pictures of further progress, soon enough now.
Old 12-28-2008, 06:30 PM   #29

Trailer: 13 ft Casita Patriot Deluxe
Quote:
Anyway, hopefully I'll have more pictures of further progress, soon enough now.
It looks like it's been a long time since your last post. Have you made any more progress???

Bill Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 05:53 PM   #30

Quote:
It looks like it's been a long time since your last post. Have you made any more progress???
Nothing but a few small projects done in the last 6 months. I had a shoulder injury that kept me from doing much for about 6 months, then the holidays interrupted things. I just started fiberglass jobs this weekend. I'll post pictures when I have enough new stuff worth showing.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:09 PM   #31

Trailer: 1975 Boler
Quote:
Nothing but a few small projects done in the last 6 months. I had a shoulder injury that kept me from doing much for about 6 months, then the holidays interrupted things. I just started fiberglass jobs this weekend. I'll post pictures when I have enough new stuff worth showing.
what are you going to be running electrically that you need so many large solar panels in death valley?
are you planning to run the A/C off of the solar panels?
interesting build. i like that you are doing it yourself and getting what you want though out of the norm.
keep up the nice work.
Erik J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 06:53 PM   #32

Quote:
what are you going to be running electrically that you need so many large solar panels in death valley?
are you planning to run the A/C off of the solar panels?
See the first post (picture 4).
Yeah, I'm planning on powering a roof-mounted 4800 BTU 24 Volt DC air conditioner, along with about 10 cubic feet of freezer space (my two biggest energy consumers.) With the added insulation, the AC should be able to maintain 70 degrees F even if it's 135 degrees outside.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:46 PM   #33

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Casita
10 cubic feet of freezer space? I assume for food storage for long trips!
Randya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 02:06 PM   #34

Quote:
10 cubic feet of freezer space? I assume for food storage for long trips!
In addition to about 10 cu. ft. of pantry space. Plans are for enough food and water for one person for a month.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:58 PM   #35

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Concerning the composting toilet. We have a Sun-Mar Compact installed in our 16ft Scamp. This was a unit that was used for field workers at our market garden that we previously operated. It started out as a temporary mod, but has become semi-permanent. Except for the size, it works great.

We plan to remove it, though and install a unit made for small yachts; two units come to mind, Nature's Head, or Air Head; that are about the size of a porta-potty. They also are priced considerably less than the Eco.

This will allow putting the bathroom back to the original size and configuration. It will also allow for reinstallation of the original bunk set-up or possibly a small dinette, as some others have done.

Interestingly, we owned a Compact Jr. over 30 years ago. The frame was definitely a weakness on that trailer. Upgrading the frame is the thing to do, especially if you attempt any off-road travel.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 03:47 PM   #36

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via MSN to Coach George Jessup
Quote:
Concerning the composting toilet. We have a Sun-Mar Compact ...We plan to remove it,...
If the timing is right when get to that point I might be interested in you Sun-Mar. My home is off the grid and my present toileting is a bit too rustic though environmentaly sound.
Coach George Jessup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 11:41 PM   #37

Hi all! Long time, no post.

I've finally got back to work on the trailer. Been working on it for 6-8 hours a day, all month. I got lucky, and the highs have stayed mostly in the high low 90s most of this month.

Let's see, what did i get done:
Removed and fiberglassed in all windows, and all the other (8) other holes cut into the body for water, drains, propane lines, ect.
Removed the blue stripes from exterior.
Removed the Copact Jr. signs from the sides of the trailer.
Patched holes in fiberglass caused by the rubbing of the old frame in back.
Filled all the (dozens) of small pits on the front of the trailer caused by flying rocks and pebbles.
Removed the "rain drip edge" over the entry door.
Removed all the marker and tail lights and filled in the wiring holes.
Filled in all the (dozens) of screw holes left by all this stuff being attached to the exterior of the body.
Fixed both the front left and right corners of the fiberglass caused by former owners driving into walls. The right side you could see daylight, after digging all the Bondo and silicon sealant out.
Fixed the fiberglass over the right top corner showed a crack under all the sealant crap.
Removed all the rat fur (wow, it that a fun job)
Ripped out the carpet, and original linoleum flooring
Ripped out all the remaining wood interior, pluming, electrical system-- starting from scratch.
Sanded the whole interior, partly to remove the old adhesive, but also to level the fiberglass to make gluing on the insulation panels easier (another REALLY fun job).
Drilled the new holes to mount the body to the new frame.
Finally, today I just just removed the old wheel wells (easier than I thought it would be.)

That's where I'm at now.

Things I want to do this next month:

Fiberglass in the holes left by removing the wheel wells.
I wasn't originally going to replace the wood floor, but after looking at it without everything in the way, I've decided to pull it and lay down new 3/4" plywood.
Bed the body and frame with sealant and finally bolt down the body for good.
Build the new permanent roof and support structure and fiberglass it on.
Sand and paint the exterior.

So by the end of this next month, I should have the exterior completed and completely watertight. Then I get to think about the interior rebuild details. I'll be starting from a blank slate. I'll probably have to stop again at some point to allow me to save up more money. I estimate I still need to save another $14 grand to finish the project.

Will get some pics up within a day.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:21 PM   #38

Quote:
Will get some pics up within a day.
OK, pictures are harder to get than I thought. I keep working into the evening, so too little light to take good ones. I'll get then soon.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:27 AM   #39

Trailer: U-Haul CT13 ('Pearl')
Ok, I'm stumped windows and eight holes? Did you remove all the windows? I know you need to insulate but ventilation and natural light are important too! Will the pop up have them?
Pat B Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:59 AM   #40

Quote:
Ok, I'm stumped windows and eight holes? Did you remove [b]all the windows? I know you need to insulate but ventilation and natural light are important too! Will the pop up have them?
I'm going to be adding smaller, modern, double pane windows at a later date (one on each side). So yes, right now no windows.

Added: The pop-up is being removed and replaced with a non-popup solid roof (see Picture 3 and Picture 4 for an idea (more details in my first post.)

Tags
solar