Super Solar Compact Jr. - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2009, 04:07 PM   #41

Trailer: Compact Jr (Super modified)
OK, Finally have some time for photos. Not much new to see in photos, but here we go anyway.

Click image for larger version

Name:	19small.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	23534

Name:	20small.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	23535

Name:	21small.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	23536

The first three pics show the results of all the fiberglass work, removing the windows and fixing all the holes and damage in the shell. It's a complete blank slate at this moment. I just got the wheel wells finished a couple of days ago. The body is ready for paint, after I build and attach the new roof. I also have the body finally permanently bolted down to the frame and sealed along all frame members with butyl tape. Every couple of days, I'll tighten the bolts again, until they won't tighten any further, then I'll remove the excess butyl sealant with a razor blade.

Name:	22small.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	23537

Yesterday I picked up the the four 4x8 sheets of 4.5" rigid isocyanurate foam insulation boards that will be used to construct the new roof section.

--- More in next post ---
bgeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 04:34 PM   #42

Name:	23small.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	23538

Here is a better shot of the interior.

Name:	24small.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	23539

This is a shot of the new 3/4" floor, and the method used to attach frame to body/floor. Note that I also filled in the entire perimeter (the gap left between the plywood floor and the figlass body) with epoxy, to the level of the floor. The seams between the three floor sections is also epoxy filled.

Name:	25small.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	23540

This shows a bunch of details. First, I had a section of plate steel that went from the back of the frame to the back of the bumper. This was to support rught under the door sill area. But, I was worried about water pooling in this area and rolling under the door sill, between the plywood and the fiberglass. This area is probably the worst design element of the compact Jr. trailers.

To fix the problems, I made two changes.

Fist, after I installed the new plywood floor, I fiberglassed from under the trailer's existing fiberglass and wraped it around the plywood, and into the trailer floor about 4 inches. You can kind-of see where the fiberglass ends in the left corner, because of the sudden lighter color there. This will insure water can't get between the fiberglass and the plywood, and I think it's a simple must-do modification to any Compact Jr.

Secondly, I removed that section of steel plate that went from the back of the frame to the back of the bumper, and replaced it with a section of angle-iron that ends right under the door sill. This way, water will tend to just drip down to the ground now and has nowhere to pool.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:36 PM   #43

Trailer: 72 Compact Jr
Registry
Quote:
Couldn't hurt. Or polyethylene washers cut from milk jugs.
Oh, I get it! That is why the bolts on the pop-up braces have little plastic washers in-between everything? I'm putting mine back together after the paint job and trying to just replace everything with new stuff, you know,...I need 5 of these things and 40 of these. Now I'll go pop it up and check out where the plastic washers are and fix that.

thanks,
Sharyl
Sharyl Allender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 03:02 PM   #44

This last week I've been trying to cut out the insulation to form the new roof using a skill saw. It didn't work so well, so I had to buy some new insulation boards, and the new plan is to have then all cut out on a water jet CNC machine. Shop should be done tomorrow.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:11 PM   #45

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Keep after it Brent. I have really enjoyed following ur project.....
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 02:58 PM   #46

Quote:
Keep after it Brent. I have really enjoyed following ur project.....
I'm glad someone is enjoying my misery

The water jet CNC did the trick. All the boards are cut out.

However, the CNC could not make the ~9 degree angle cuts I needed along the bottom of the "side wall" pieces, to match match the angle of the existing fiberglass roof. So, now have to call around to find a shop that can cut a 4.5" thick board and make these angle cuts.

I haven't tried the fit yet, but they were able to make the curve cuts on the bottom of the front and back pieces to match the existing fiberglass roof. However, I haven't actually tried to see if my measurements were accurate enough for a good fit or not.

Assuming I can get the angle cuts made at some shop, and that the curve cuts are already close enough, the next step will be to use aluminum tape to hold everything together and fiberglass the exterior of the insulation "assembly". I'm also thinking of adding a couple of layers of fiberglass to in interior as well, for extra support. TBD, as the interior is already going to have a plastic sheeting applied as the finish layer either way.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:57 PM   #47

Unhappy

I'm selling the trailer as-is. Don't have the money to complete it after buying a house. I'd love to see someone finish it. You can download the GIMP graphics file showing the details of the interior layout (play with the layers). I also have a Craig's list ad. Also have tons of other files regarding equipment selection, ect that the buyer can also have.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:50 AM   #48

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Whatever happened with this project?
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:18 AM   #49

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
We'll probably never know unless a member here bought the trailer. The OP did say he was selling. And had Last Activity: 02-16-2012 01:59 PM almost one year ago...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar