Super Solar Compact Jr. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2008, 06:53 PM   #1

Trailer: Compact Jr (Super modified)
Red face

Thought some might be interested in my Compact Jr. Rebuild.

I want to build a small trailer that can be pulled down just about any road, and give me total independence for at least 30 days. I've had the Compact Jr for a couple of years, while I figured out the design. I'm already well into the project, and have some pics for you.

Picture 1 and Picture 2 shows the new interior layout. From 9'oclock clockwise--

A composting toilet means no more black water is generated, and does not use any of my 95 gallons of fresh water.

A vented catalytic heater (the only one made) for dry propane heat.

Multi-use counter space with surround sound system sub-wolfer, inverter, and storage underneath.

Floor to roof pantry, with freezer/frig compressor on floor

Floor to roof 10 cu. ft. freezer/frig (almost all freezer)

Sink/Stove/Oven with storage, water pump/accumulator tank and 3 watt tri-band cell phone amplifier underneath.

Couch/Bed Platform; pulls out to butt the toilet and back cushion drops into space for sleeping, pushed in with back cushion resting on top for sitting. Lots of storage under, as well as 4-8 L-16 batteries (undecided). Above, a MX-60 solar charge controller next to a Link-10 battery monitor.

Under the floor, one 95 gallon fresh water tank, and one 95 gallon gray water tank.

Everything insulated with 2 inches of polyurethane insulation (Freezer/Frig 5 inches.)

Picture 3 shows the current pop-up "hole", and the surrounding line of pink insulation shows where I'm building the new permanent roof out to. Between the old roof and the new roof will be storage all along the left and right sides, probably using curtains as a cover. Only light stuff will be stored up here.

picture 4 shows the new roof. Vents for the toilet, heater, stove, antenna for the satellite radio, and (most important to me) a 4800 B.T.U. 24 volt DC air conditioner keeping the interior under 70 degrees F even if it's 135 degrees outside.

Finally, to power it all, eight 195 watt BP-SX3195 solar panels giving me a peak output of almost 1600 Watts. To make all these panels fit, I have a custom mount described further down.

To support all this, and have something I can tow down the worst 4WD roads, I needed a new frame, made of 2" X 4" X 1/4" steel.

Picture 5 shows the new frame and solar panel mount (unpainted as of yet) without the panels mounted. This is the travel position. Also shown is the large wheels that allow for tons of clearance under the frame, and room for the two huge 95 gallon tanks that fit just fore and aft of the axle.

Picture 6 shows the half-deployed position. The winch (or linear actuator, described later) pulls the top rack vertical, parallel with the front rack. A pin is dropped in to hold the two racks together, making one big rack. The locking pin is shown in more detail Picture 11

Picture 7 show the the bottom half of the rack fully deployed by opening the two wings on each side. Do the same for the top rack and it can then be tiled to either a fixed angle, or using a linear actuator can track the sun in the E/W axis. More on that later.

Picture 8 shows the rack from another angle, horizontal in this case.

Picture 9 and Picture 10 show the detail of the hinges. stainless washers are welded into any location where there is metal to metal rubbing.

Finally, Picture 12 shows how the 36" linear actuator will be mounted between the diagonal brace and the rear hinge of the top rack. Controlling the actuator will be the $50 Redrok Energy Solar Tracker. With actuator, I won't need the winch to deploy the array, and the tracking will gain me 10% more energy production vs a fixed angle.

Anyway, that's where I'm at now.

PS: Forgot about the shower. A marine deck fill with push-up cap leads to the gray water tank via a short length of hose to form a water trap. A shower basin with a small nipple on the bottom, is placed over the deck fill, and a curtain is hung. Problem solved.

PPS: Forgot about some fiberglass work. I'm removing the front window, and the wheel wells.
bgeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 09:47 PM   #2

Trailer: 1985 Scamp 13 ft / 1999 Toyota Tacoma
Wow that is some project! 95 gallons of water--650 Pounds---Cool.
You have obvioulsly spent a great deal of time and effort on the design....keep us posted.

Garo
Gary Carvajal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 06:14 AM   #3

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
I agree with Gary. Keep it coming!

Tom Trostel
Old 02-14-2008, 08:39 AM   #4

Trailer: Compact Jr
I notice you're using stainless washers as rub points.

Just a word about stainless: Using stainless nuts and stainless bolts together can result in galling--the two parts seize firmly together. I'm refurbishing a trailer just now, and had planned to use stainless screws in conjunction with stainless tee-nuts. I did a test run, got the screws halfway out again, and bango! seized solid. Had to saw it apart. It was surprising to me how quickly it happened and how immovable the result was.
Steve Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:22 PM   #5

Quote:
I notice you're using stainless washers as rub points.

Just a word about stainless: Using stainless nuts and stainless bolts together can result in galling...
Thanks for the note. I'm aware of galling, and don't plan on using SS nuts or bolts. I'm only using welded-on stainless washers, as shown in some of the pictures. Do you think galling would be a problem in this case? If so, I can add nylon washers between the SS washers.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Wow that is some project! 95 gallons of water--650 Pounds---Cool.
You have obvioulsly spent a great deal of time and effort on the design....keep us posted.

Garo
That's only a hair over 3 gallons a day. Enough for drinking/cooking and a quick shower every couple of days.
I wish I could take even more water, but the available larger stock tanks are not sized correctly for my use. I'll probably also take some extra 6 gallon portable tanks after I discover how much extra gray water tank capacity I have (95 gallon tanks, both fresh and gray.)
Old 02-14-2008, 01:10 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Just curious, have you figured out how much this thing is going to weigh when loaded?
Will a single axle handle that weight?
Old 02-14-2008, 02:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Just curious, have you figured out how much this thing is going to weigh when loaded?
Will a single axle handle that weight?
Projected fully loaded weight, loaded with food water and all other personal items is 5020 lbs. That's a 7000 lb axle on there.
Old 02-14-2008, 02:18 PM   #9

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I have a question somewhat related to the weight. Why, if you are going to pull 5000 lbs, would you want to be limited to the size of a Compact Jr?

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 04:23 PM   #10

Quote:
I have a question somewhat related to the weight. Why, if you are going to pull 5000 lbs, would you want to be limited to the size of a Compact Jr?

Bobbie
A few reasons.

First, it's designed for one person, and I was able to fit everything in the small footprint.

The shorter length (the huge under frame clearance) allows me to pull the trailer down very rough 4 wheel drive only paths. The longer the trailer, more likely to drag the rear end, and the weaker and less stiff the frame gets. The new frame is virtually bomb-proof.

Smaller is easier to heat and cool. I only need 1000 BTUs of heat in 10 degree weather (historical low temp for my area of interest), and the 3000 BTU heater will maintain 60 degrees inside, all the way down to -50 outside! Cooling, the 4800 BTU Ac unit can maintain 70 degrees inside, all the way to 134 degrees outside -- the hottest recorded temp on I plan on hanging out around Death Valley where the record high is only two degrees behind that. Global warming, anyone A larger trailer would require more AC, and even more solar to power it.

A larger trailer would weigh more, even with the same stuff "spread out" more in a larger trailer. This might mean a need for a larger truck, and more gas usage, and less off-road-ability.

It's also easier to find a spot to camp or park in town when needed (all I need is a double space).

Lastly, because I tend to like compact designs. Just more efficient, but very un-American. For example, whenever I finally decide to build a house, it will be 600 sq. ft. or less.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:44 PM   #11

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Quote:
For example, whenever I finally decide to build a house, it will be 600 sq. ft. or less.
I currently own a 600 sq. foot cabin.

Living "normally" in it is a challenge, even for one person.

It's different for a trailer.. hard to explain.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 07:08 PM   #12

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I have a 600 square foot cabin, and love it. Not much space, but easier to clean. Not so easy to make the beds, though, since they just barely fit into the bedrooms.

I do understand the reasons you give for a small trailer. Heating and cooling and a short wheel base all make sense. And it is nice to be able to park in a pull through double space.

Plus on the Washington state ferries I pay about 1.5 x what a car alone does instead of 3x as much or more for a longer, taller trailer.

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 09:04 AM   #13

Trailer: Compact Jr
Quote:
If so, I can add nylon washers between the SS washers.
Couldn't hurt. Or polyethylene washers cut from milk jugs.
Steve Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 09:41 PM   #14

Trailer: 13 ft Perris Pacer
If I bought an $1800 toilet, I'd probably want to sleep right next to it too.
Angelo F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:37 PM   #15

Click image for larger version

Name:	13.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	11786

I finally got the actuator installed. Picture 13 (also shown above) shows the rack deployed. On 12 volts, it takes about 3 minutes to go from fully horizontal to vertical. I'm guessing it will move twice as fast on the 24 volt battery pack that I'll be using in the trailer. Note that I removed the hinged parts of the solar rack, in perpetration for painting.

Picture 14 shows the end of the actuator. I'm probably going to add some extra bushings so the end of the actuator can't move on the current bushing it's riding on.

Picture 15 and Picture 16 shows the other end's mount. Note the bearing that allows the actuator to tilt in and out. I pushed it all the way out for these two pictures.

Picture 17 and Picture 18 shows that same thing, but with the actuator pushed in. Note that it hits the beam. The actuator sometimes twists into this position at the end of it's travel range. Does anyone have an idea how I can lock this better so it won't twist and knock into the beam? I thought one idea was just to place a couple of weld tacks to lock it in place?

Still waiting for the Redrok controller to get here.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:50 AM   #16

Quote:
If I bought an $1800 toilet, I'd probably want to sleep right next to it too.
Hmmm.... wonder how you would react to the $3500 air conditioner, or the $7000 in solar panels, or the $9000 in the frame and rack? Not to mention the $15,000 for a new (used) truck to pull it all.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:20 AM   #17

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I think what you're doing is great. The trailer you're building isn't for everybody, but the engineering that's going into it could help all of us at some time. I can see a lot of use for the technologies and use of space for the future that you're proving possible. All innovators have their detractors, don't let them bother you. If we didn't have people like you in the world we wouldn't have a lot of things and methods of dealing with problems that we do. The composting toilet is just one example of showing that there's another way besides the black water tank.

Keep up the good work and keep us posted on your progress.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:39 AM   #18

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
WOW i am impressed with this project!!..

i agree to keep it small and energy efficient but I am curious as to what you will pull this with..

thanks and keep the photos and info coming..Dee
Dee Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 02:16 PM   #19

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
I think what you're doing is great. The trailer you're building isn't for everybody, but the engineering that's going into it could help all of us at some time.
I agree with Byron. I figure my longest-duration boondock experience will be a week or so during the late spring, summer, and fall, so my boondocking modifications don't address black tank capacity or multiple weeks of clean water. My major mods are for a solar setup, LED lighting, catalytic heater, and a low-energy appliances that allow us to live comfortably for a week on battery with 50 amp-hours of usable capacity. So your trailer mods are overkill for my needs, but perfect for someone doing long-term wildlife research or the hermit thing.

But overkill for me doesn't mean bad for me. It's like a scaled-down version of the ultimate boondocking program -- The Apollo Program -- which brought us calculators, memory foam matresses, adhesives, composite materials, lightweight insulation and a host of other technologies we now incorporate into our more humble trailers. As you make your modifications, learn from (and please tell us about) your succeses, failures, and re-designs you'll find ways of doing things no one else here would ever think of, but might well solve some of our more mundane yet vexing problems in an intelligent, affordable, and appropriate way.

--Peter
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 12:15 PM   #20

Quote:
i agree to keep it small and energy efficient but I am curious as to what you will pull this with..
Just a standard 4x4 one ton truck, like a F-150 or Chevy 1500.

Quote:
So your trailer mods are overkill for my needs, but perfect for someone doing long-term wildlife research or the hermit thing.

...As you make your modifications, learn from (and please tell us about) your succeses, failures, and re-designs...
Yeah, most of my mods only make sense for a full-timer that likes to boondock. But for a full-timer, it should be one of the most inexpensive and least-trouble RV to operate.

I'm still trying to figure out how I'm building my freezer/frig enclosure. If anyone knows of a website that shows details, I'd be interested. Also, the extensive fiberglass work ahead has me nervous as I've never done any before.

Tags
solar