Surburban Propane Digital Thermostat. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-13-2010, 07:04 PM   #15
Trailer: Casita 16 ft Spirit Deluxe
Thanks, all, for your answers. It sounds like a serious case of "not an issue".

Parker Buckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:58 PM   #16
Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe / Infiniti SUV
Interesting feedback on your Amazon link about the +\- 1 degree cycling. I'm just does that work for everyone in their eggs? It seems like the furnace would be cycling on and off a lot to maintain such fine control. Just +\- 2 degrees would cut the cycling in half and still be finer than I could probably feel. How often does your furnace cycle when it's pretty cold outside (assuming door shut the whole time, etc.) I'll be installing a furnace in our Casita soon, so this is a very helpful discussion.

Sounds like no one here is having an excessive cycling problem, but if anyone encounters this, most modern thermostats (except perhaps the least expensive ones) have what is referred to as a "Swing Setting", which allows some degree of adjustment. For instance the thermostat that the guy in the Amazon review was probably abandoning, actually had a adjustable Swing Setting. That particular model had only the choice of "Narrow" or "Wide". I'll bet that his was set on the Narrow setting. More common is a numerical adjustment in the Swing Setting, allowing a little more variation. If anyone has the question, simply check your owner's manual.

George Cathcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 12:36 PM   #17
Name: George
Trailer: Waiting for the Sprinter van and designing the converion modules.
I replaced the original electromechanical thermostat with the digital non-programmable Honeywell_RTH5100B thermostat for about $35. My heater is Atwood Hydroflame 8500. Thermostat controls temperature +/- 1<sup>o </sup>F. Cycling of the heater is OK. The key reason why I got this thermostat was the setpoint and actual temperature dual display.

Attached Images

GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote