Surfside Refit Saga - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-19-2010, 01:13 AM   #15

Name: Peter
Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Interior pix of my Surfside.
Lynn ehas had those vary pictures on her drive for a long while now as a decorating idea. Very nice!

Old 04-25-2010, 12:04 AM   #16

Trailer: Surfside TM14 1974
Registry
Quote:
Lynn ehas had those vary pictures on her drive for a long while now as a decorating idea. Very nice!
Thank-you!!! ***blush***

Old 04-29-2010, 08:38 PM   #17

Trailer: 1979 Triple E Surfside
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...rped+door+boler

here is the topic with my photos in it
Old 09-14-2013, 02:30 AM   #18

Oregon
Registry
And, finally, progress!

I finished replacing the floor some time ago, but really got kinda tired of working on the Surfside because it had turned into a "mostly Peter's" project instead of a joint project working on "Lynne's project trailer." What changed is Lynne left the job that had consumed the last several years of her life in December 2012, and has been happily off of work ever since. She finally unwound enough to get busy on the trailer this summer. Good thing, too: I was lobbying to sell it because I had gotten tired of it taking up all the room in my shop.

So, here's what's been done:
1) We gutted the trailer and chipped, ground, and cut out the entire, mostly rotten, floor.
2) A new floor has been installed.
3) The deformed sides and roof of the trailer have been re-formed, re-paired, and re-enforced.
4) Lots -- lots and lots -- of holes have been patched or re-configured. Only the door opening is much the same, though even that has been changed because we fixed the body and floor sag that had allowed the front side to sag causing the fiberglass around the top edges to crack. Everything else has been fiberglassed over or altered in some way.
4) New windows have been ordered and new openings for them created.
5) A new MaxxFan has been purchased and a new opening made for it in the roof.
6) New fiberglass and PVC pipe struts have been installed under the roof to re-enforce it. (A thread on how to do this and how to straighten out a sagging roof is forthcoming.)
7) New ribs have been made and installed to correct sagging in the sides of the trailer. (A thread on how to do this and how to straighten out a sagging door frame and trailer sides is forthcoming, too.)
8) The frame is about to be pulled out from under the trailer.
9) New appliances and other hardware have been bought.
10) We just decided on a new paint scheme and ordered new paint today.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000545.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	64500

More to come . . .

--P
Old 09-14-2013, 07:56 AM   #19

Trailer: Bigfoot
Manitoba
That's one lucky trailer! Beautiful work. Glad you're back.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:04 PM   #20

Oregon
Registry
Frame Off!

Name:	ForumRunner_20130924_180337.png
Views:	53
Size:	323.4 KB
ID:	64909

Name:	ForumRunner_20130924_180400.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	64910
Old 09-24-2013, 10:02 PM   #21

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
whoo Peter, please pass onto Lynn that I think she is doing a great job oh her trailer!

Looking forward to seeing her interior design ideas!

So are you bringing the big trailer to next years Bandon meet and she will bring "her" trailer?
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:07 PM   #22

Oregon
Registry
Our (sand) blasted trailer frame with metal supplies for reinforcements, a new bumper and a propane & battery tray (already started) up front.

The old bumper will get cut off and replaced by the L beam closest to us in the picture.

Name:	ForumRunner_20130927_200645.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	65003

The sandblasting was $165 at BlastOff in Vancouver. Spendy, but the work was done in a single day and they were a joy to work with. (Dropped the trailer frame off yesterday evening and picked up today around noon.)

The metal supplies cost around $130, but I won't use all of the supplies I bought.

I need to make some trailer frame repairs. The bumper is cracked and rusted through in places, so that repair was pretty obvious. I was also concerned about the quality of a repair done in the yoke area where there's a hairline crack at the point where the yoke bends upward so the receiver comes up to meet the ball hitch on the tow vehicle. More concerning than either of these two is a hairline crack that was hidden under the trailer shell where the first cross-member meets the frame on the left.

While the rest of the frame is solid, if I hadn't done a frame-off with the trailer, I would not have found that hidden crack, and the frame would have failed someday while we were towing it. Once repaired, the trailer frame will be as good as new and will have another good 40 years in it as long as I keep rust-inhibitor paint on it.
Old 09-29-2013, 02:37 PM   #23

Oregon
Registry
More work on the trailer frame. None of the welding has been done yet, but I have cut and bent a new bumper, parts for the propane tank/battery tray up front, cut a new cross-member for the back part of the trailer to support our new grey water tank (not shown, because it's just a 44" long piece of angle iron), extra support "wings" that double the width of the frame under the back of the trailer (also not shown, because they are equally dull), and made two mending plates to repair a small crack at the front street-side end of the trailer.

All are waiting for a dry day when we can tow the trailer up to my father-in-law's (Lynne's dad's) house for welding. He's a trained welder . . . I just know how to putz around with one, and getting good welds on those mending plates is critical.

Name:	20130929_111953.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	65054
Our new bumper.

Name:	20130929_112030.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	246.7 KB
ID:	65055
Propane and battery tray. (The long bits of angle iron are temporary supports that hold the back support in place.)

Name:	20130929_112053.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	205.1 KB
ID:	65056
Spot that needs mending, with the top edge of the crack ground out a bit.

Name:	20130929_112341.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	215.6 KB
ID:	65057
12g mending plates.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:30 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
whoo Peter, please pass onto Lynn that I think she is doing a great job oh her trailer! Looking forward to seeing her interior design ideas!

So are you bringing the big trailer to next years Bandon meet and she will bring "her" trailer?
Hi Carol!

Thanks! Progress is slow but steady. Tomorrow morning we are towing the frame over to my Dad's shop so he can do the welding for us. In the meantime, the punch list for the exterior body repairs is getting very short indeed. I sure hope these endless rainy days let up for a bit so we can start priming and painting.

I was thinking that we would just bring the Surfside to Bandon next year. And then Peter mentioned that maybe we should take both trailers! Just when you think you know your husband. . . . I wonder if he plans to sleep in "his" trailer or come join me in "mine"

--Lynne
Old 10-03-2013, 08:49 AM   #25

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Nice work Peter (as usual).

I'm wondering if the belly band on the Surfide is similar to that on the Trillium? Will there be the potential need to do that fix in the future?
Old 10-03-2013, 10:26 AM   #26

Oregon
Registry
Roy: No, the Surfside has a lap seam with the top half of the shell overlapping the bottom, riveted in a few places, fiberglassed on the inside, had a former fiberglassed in on top of that, then riveted again as the bellyband trim was added.

I've smeared Bondo over all the exposed rivets that are poking through.

As for my wife, it'm glad I can still surprise you now and then. Keeps the magic alive. And it's been a long time since we've had to figure out the "your place or mine?" thing.
Old 10-05-2013, 02:13 PM   #27

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterh View Post
As for my wife, it'm glad I can still surprise you now and then. Keeps the magic alive. And it's been a long time since we've had to figure out the "your place or mine?" thing.
Hey... get a ROOM!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:09 PM   #28

Oregon
Registry
When this trailer's a rocking, I need to put the stabilizers down. ;-)

Tags
surfside