Swap my stove for an oven? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2018, 03:31 PM   #1

Name: Aaron
Trailer: Scamp
Texas
Swap my stove for an oven?

We have been in the process of renovating our 2000 Scamp 19 and part of that process has included building new cabinets and counter tops. As I look at the counter and the cabinet facing where the stove sits, I can't help but think an oven would fit real nice there. I know that an oven is a optional add on from the dealer, how hard is it to add one after market? I teach Culinary Arts and would love to bake some bread or a hotdish in the Scamp. Is there any reason why I can't make the cuts and drop in an oven instead? Thanks for any advice and feedback.
TXScamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 10:00 AM   #2

Name: Billy Sharpstick
Trailer: Scamp 13 - 2005
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXScamper View Post
I teach Culinary Arts and would love to bake some bread or a hotdish in the Scamp. I
One easier option is to carry a medium size convection oven. It can be moved around or left home if not needed.
sharpstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 10:15 AM   #3

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Or a microwave convection oven. Prob with installing permanently is you Loose storage space and must leave room to vent the heat from around it. If you have a 120v outlet outside you could just sit it on a table.

I wonder if anyone has made a chuck box for the back of our trailers, similar to the rear kitchen of a teardrop. It would free up a lot of space for storage...
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 10:25 AM   #4

Name: J Ronald
Trailer: Casita 17 ft. Liberty Deluxe
North Carolina
we installed a convection microwave in the space where the old microwave was and it works well it's just what we needed. We have a 17 foot Casita Liberty Deluxe.
J Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 10:29 AM   #5

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Ron View Post
we installed a convection microwave in the space where the old microwave was and it works well it's just what we needed. We have a 17 foot Casita Liberty Deluxe.
Even more so with our 13. We just stack up all the kitchen stuff on the floor and move it out when we camp. In good weather, we only sleep inside. We generally carry: microwave, toaster oven, ice maker, butane stove, folding table and canopy.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:39 AM   #6

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpstick View Post
One easier option is to carry a medium size convection oven. It can be moved around or left home if not needed.
What do you do when Boondocking?
Thom Rowland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 10:48 AM   #7

North Carolina
Microwave convectoven and boondocking.

Without.
Old 06-10-2018, 11:40 AM   #8

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
we *love* the oven in our Escape... its gotten used more than the stove, and we've not used the microwave yet.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 02:29 PM   #9

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Here's a good source for freestanding chuck boxes. I suppose Amazon sells as well.

I have one of these for outdoor use. Pretty well made, and value. Can be used with or without legs.

Camping-Boxes.com Camp kitchens and so much more.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 02:56 PM   #10

Tennessee
J Ron
How do you handle the high temperatures generated behind the convection microwave oven? We have a Casita 17 SD and the the microwave really heats up that cubby hole. I don't see how it could withstand prolonged use of a convection oven.

Tom71 I will check out that camp box, thanks.
Old 06-10-2018, 03:27 PM   #11

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom Rowland View Post
What do you do when Boondocking?
Leave the electric appliances home, leaving more room for firewood.
Old 06-10-2018, 06:14 PM   #12

North Carolina
Microwave convectoven and boondocking.

Rzrbrn, it came with air guides to direct warm air out the front. It is designed to be installed in a cabinet.
Old 06-10-2018, 06:16 PM   #13

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpstick View Post
Leave the electric appliances home, leaving more room for firewood.
Cant transport firewood.. beetles
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 05:05 AM   #14

Tennessee
Quote:
Rzrbrn, it came with air guides to direct warm air out the front. It is designed to be installed in a cabinet.
I have seen models with that design and built into the cabinet. A friend put one into a remodel trailer. We tried it out in his garage before the install. even with the fans going it was very hot to the touch.

Our microwave gets very hot so I installed a fan in the cabinet wall to help cool the cabinet down. We only use it to reheat things so it is not on for a very long time. Also when using for lunch it is usually very hot both inside and outside the trailer so we try to minimize the run time.

But a convection microwave oven sure is nice to have, and a really great option to use, especially when the weather gets cool.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:00 AM   #15

North Carolina
Microwave convect oven .

We got one from Camping World. A Dometic, it took some finesing to get it and the air guides in but we made it. We had to remove the legs and cut some strips from a backpacking mattress to put under it on the edges of the lower air guide to be sure it was not obstructed. We had to install the upper air guide after the microwave was in place. Camping World catalog #70165, it's on sale for $199.00. This unit is designed to be mounted in a cabinet and comes with a trim frame.
Old 06-16-2018, 07:54 PM   #16

Name: amy
Trailer: scamp 13
ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXScamper View Post
We have been in the process of renovating our 2000 Scamp 19 and part of that process has included building new cabinets and counter tops. As I look at the counter and the cabinet facing where the stove sits, I can't help but think an oven would fit real nice there. I know that an oven is a optional add on from the dealer, how hard is it to add one after market? I teach Culinary Arts and would love to bake some bread or a hotdish in the Scamp. Is there any reason why I can't make the cuts and drop in an oven instead? Thanks for any advice and feedback.
Just use this, you can use it inside or outside and leave it at home if you dont want it, it folds up so no need to worry about space. PLUS cant beat the price

My friend has one and she loves it!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1
amy in maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 03:18 AM   #17

Name: Michael
Trailer: In the Market
Virginia
Microwave Convection Oven

Quote:
JRon what brand unit do you have? Thanks
mbbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 09:22 AM   #18

North Carolina
Microwave convect oven .

Casita LD TT, Domestic microwave.