Switching out ice box for fridge? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-23-2015, 02:18 PM   #15
Name: Fred
Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Kootenay's of BC
Originally Posted by shechelle View Post
I have a line on a used 13' Scamp I'm going to drive 7 hours to go look at. It's in my price range and seems good from pics I've seen. The only thing I'm not so excited about is he says it has a new icebox, not a refrigerator. I was really hoping for a propane/electric refrigerator. I'm not sure if it's possible to change this? It shows a picture of a plug outside presumably to power stuff inside with electricity but if there is nothing else electric I'm not sure what it would go to. Thanks for any noob advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
If you want fridge and have to pay a shop to have it done,, is another 1500-2000 dollars in your budget?
How much more trailer can you get for that much more money?

FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:07 AM   #16
Name: Deb
Trailer: Scamp
I have a 96 13' in excellent condition. I am at least the 3rd owner. It also came with just an ice box. I just had a Dometic RM2193 installed by Camping World. I got the RM2193B (black frame) as it was $300 cheaper on Amazon and free shipping (with Prime). the install was pricey, but I could not manage the electrical/gas lines so paid the price to ahve it done right and be warranted. One thing to keep in mind is a 2 way fridge need to be isolated, so they needed to build an enclosure that was not previously there for the ice box. all in all is was 6 hours of labor @129/hr, plus parts, plus the fridge I had purchased myself. about $1600 for the exchange. on the flipside..no more lukewarm meat and dairy and I managed all of the other upgrades and mods myself, so I felt able to splurge on the fridge.

Missdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 02:17 PM   #17
Name: Tina
Trailer: Burro
We were living in AZ when we bought our 14' Burro. We were not looking for one with AC, since we prefer dry camping. But I am so glad we have one. We use it most of the time.

As far as a fridge, we just have an ice box and its a bit frustrating. The ice box itself is inefficient, especially in warm climates. We are getting tired of stressing about how much ice has melted in the ice chest and if we need more. So if you want a fridge, either work it into your budget or buy one with a fridge already installed.

Best of luck finding your new egg!

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Tina in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 04:53 PM   #18
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
Agree. If a fridge is what you need, best to find a trailer with one already in place. Retrofitting is very costly unless you have the skills to acquire a used one and do the installation yourself.

With only an icebox, we have found it more efficient (and convenient, since we cook outside) to use a portable ice chest for perishables and the trailer's built-in icebox (without ice) for dry storage. Ice lasts longer in a good quality ice chest and a top-opening design loses less cool air when you open it. On our first trip we used the same size ice block in both, and the chest lasted almost twice as long as the trailer's icebox. We now have two: a small one for drinks, which tends to get opened more often, and a larger one for everything else. Crackers, bread, chips, etc. go in the trailer's icebox.

Even if we had a fridge I doubt it would be big enough (in a Scamp 13') for our family of four.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 05:57 PM   #19
Name: Sarah
Trailer: 1984 13' Scamp named "Ramblin Rose"
My Engel SB70 is 60quarts - that's on par with the size of the cooler (Igloo Ice Cube on wheels) we typically take on camping road trips for food (we also carry a smaller cooler just for drinks). Obviously we can't stock up on groceries for a full week or anything, but as we rarely stay in one place more than about 4 days, it hasn't yet been an issue for us, and I don't anticipate that being much different in our scamp - since we can stock the cooler just fine for 4 days, with enough ice to last the duration, I expect that the Engel fridge will serve our needs just fine since we won't be losing some of that space to ice like we would be in the cooler, so we may actually be able to pack "more" food with us than before. We still plan on taking a smaller cooler with drinks in our tow vehicle because we tend to do that anyways

For the record, with the ice cube + drink cooler combo we successfully "road trip" camped for more than 3 weeks a few summers ago with 5 of us, buying block ice where possible when we stocked up on food, and we made/cooked ALL of our meals, no fast food or dining at restaurants... we ate lunch at a lot of rest stops and random city parks, and it worked out very well, and nothing we purchased went bad, and no one got food poisoning along the way.

sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote