Switching permanet full size bed to two twins - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2012, 01:40 PM   #1

Name: Jill
Trailer: Eggcamper
Minnesota AND Florida
Registry
Switching permanet full size bed to two twins

We have a 2010 Eggcamper that has a permanent full size bed in the back and a two seated dinette on the side. We bought it used so we had no choice in the configuration. My husband wants to reconfigure the layout to be 2 permanent twin size beds (one across the back and one along the side) and eliminate the dinette as we never eat there anyway. We would have portable tables to set up when we are parked and want to have a table. We sleep better apart than we do trying to share a space. Has anyone done anything like this or have any thoughts, suggestions?
Thanks.
MinnesotaJill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:20 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Not that I remember... but, someone has to start with the idea. If it's YOU, please post pictures
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:19 PM   #3

Trailer: Aliner
Jill, I did that in my Casita. You can see photos here. You should be able to do the same thing in your EggCamper.

We just love this arrangement!
Sharon G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:10 PM   #4

Name: Wayne
Florida
Registry
Egg Camper Separate Beds

Hi Jill
I travel with my special needs daughter who is 26. Set the trailer up just as you discussed. Works great becauce I am 6-1". I did a great deal of research on mattresses. Am rather particular, because I have some occasional back issues at 61 years old. Go to www.northamericanmattress.com. They make mattresses for tractor trailer sleeper cabs. I ordered 2 - 79X29X5 Everynight Road Deluxe.
These are wonderful mattresses. I like a firm mattress. Was originally going to purchase their memory foam but decided against it after a friend suggested I lay on one if I had never done so before ordering. Glad I took his advice and went to a quality mattress store and tried one out. Did not care for the memory foam. These are a really comfortable firm foam. Covered with a nice zippered, dark blue cover. Very nice product.

Also cut a piece 1/2" plywood 29X79, with all 4 corner radiused, plus all edges rounded, to be placed under dinette bed. This provides the necessary support for the increased width of bed. You can use some of the rubber mattting that is put under rugs on hardwood floors to keep it from sliding during travel.

Finally, if you would like to eat inside, say due to weather, I simply stack the dinette mattress on top of the rear mattress, then put the plywood on top of both mattresses and it forms a wonderful dining table when you are sitting beside it on each side. Really makes the trailer seem big. Plus it dramaticallly increases counter surface for meal preparations. Generally I prefer to leave the beds set up at all times for sleeping. I really don't like converting things into other thing, especially since I'm retired now and really enjoy my mid
afternoon naps.

These are also some of many of the reasons why after 2 years of research I settled on the Egg Camper.

Hope the ideas will be of use.

Wayne Perpall
Wayne Perpall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:32 PM   #5

Name: Judith
Trailer: 16 ft Scamp
Texas
side dinette work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaJill View Post
We have a 2010 Eggcamper that has a permanent full size bed in the back and a two seated dinette on the side. We bought it used so we had no choice in the configuration. My husband wants to reconfigure the layout to be 2 permanent twin size beds (one across the back and one along the side) and eliminate the dinette as we never eat there anyway. We would have portable tables to set up when we are parked and want to have a table. We sleep better apart than we do trying to share a space. Has anyone done anything like this or have any thoughts, suggestions?
Thanks.
Why wont the 16 ft Scamp side dinette work? I just posted one I have. the back bed is 3/4 size bed and the side dinnette convert to a single bed. you can sleep seperate this way. Judy
Scamper on the road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:43 AM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jutebox View Post
Why wont the 16 ft Scamp side dinette work? I just posted one I have. the back bed is 3/4 size bed and the side dinnette convert to a single bed. you can sleep seperate this way. Judy
It probably would work, but Jill has a 2010 EggCamper and is looking to make a modification rather than sell and repurchase.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:28 AM   #7

Trailer:
Here is a suggestion, based on EggCamper's website floorplan:

This gives you two separate permanent berths (sorry, beds - I still think of boats when drawing) and a 2-seater dinette.

Things to do would be:

- fix the side dinette table in lowered position and fit a one-piece mattress over the whole bed;

- fix a board, half the size of the original rear dinette table, in the lowered position and fit a one-piece mattress over the back half of the dinette;

- make a new half-sized table top for the rear dinette and hold it in place using a pedestal mount from a boat - this would make it removable if wanted, though the pedestal isn't that small a piece to store;

- use half the original side cushions as seats for the 2-person dinette.

Did that make sense? It's quite possible that with some careful cutting, you could use the original tables and the original cushions to make this layout, though you wouldn't then get one-piece mattresses.

This is the sort of table pedestal I would use, with the photo stolen from an eBay advert (item 390417757758) for $32.

Depending on what is under the EggCamper's rear floor, you might need to get a pedestal with two surface mounts (on the left of the photo) as the flush mount (on the right of the photo) might stick into a water tank under the floor?
Attached Thumbnails
eggcamper2.JPG   $(KGrHqJ,!ogE8VbSV2hHBPM+vFVGC!~~60_12.JPG  

Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:23 AM   #8

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Gibbens View Post
- make a new half-sized table top for the rear dinette and hold it in place using a pedestal mount from a boat - this would make it removable if wanted, though the pedestal isn't that small a piece to store;

- use half the original side cushions as seats for the 2-person dinette.
__________________________________________________ ________

Depending on what is under the EggCamper's rear floor, you might need to get a pedestal with two surface mounts (on the left of the photo) as the flush mount (on the right of the photo) might stick into a water tank under the floor?
Or you could use the pedestal with Porta-Leggs ™
Attached Thumbnails
ef_1_b.JPG  
Old 10-25-2012, 05:16 PM   #9
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Nice work Andrew. I like that. Especially preserving the aisle for bathroom runs and a place to eat, read the map, etc.

On our table I went the cheap route for the pedestal base. Either way you keep from drilling holes in the floor and can adjust the table position for sitting down easily. Raz
Attached Thumbnails
image-3448571824.jpg  
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:02 PM   #10

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Best not to cut and remove the molded-in side seat areas, so using tham like Andrew suggests is a good use of the space.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:04 PM   #11

Name: Jill
Minnesota AND Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Perpall
Hi Jill
I travel with my special needs daughter who is 26. Set the trailer up just as you discussed. Works great becauce I am 6-1". I did a great deal of research on mattresses. Am rather particular, because I have some occasional back issues at 61 years old. Go to www.northamericanmattress.com. They make mattresses for tractor trailer sleeper cabs. I ordered 2 - 79X29X5 Everynight Road Deluxe.
These are wonderful mattresses. I like a firm mattress. Was originally going to purchase their memory foam but decided against it after a friend suggested I lay on one if I had never done so before ordering. Glad I took his advice and went to a quality mattress store and tried one out. Did not care for the memory foam. These are a really comfortable firm foam. Covered with a nice zippered, dark blue cover. Very nice product.

Also cut a piece 1/2" plywood 29X79, with all 4 corner radiused, plus all edges rounded, to be placed under dinette bed. This provides the necessary support for the increased width of bed. You can use some of the rubber mattting that is put under rugs on hardwood floors to keep it from sliding during travel.

Finally, if you would like to eat inside, say due to weather, I simply stack the dinette mattress on top of the rear mattress, then put the plywood on top of both mattresses and it forms a wonderful dining table when you are sitting beside it on each side. Really makes the trailer seem big. Plus it dramaticallly increases counter surface for meal preparations. Generally I prefer to leave the beds set up at all times for sleeping. I really don't like converting things into other thing, especially since I'm retired now and really enjoy my mid
afternoon naps.

These are also some of many of the reasons why after 2 years of research I settled on the Egg Camper.

Hope the ideas will be of use.

Wayne Perpall
Wayne, I would love to see pictures. Thanks all for your great ideas. Jill
MinnesotaJill is offline   Reply With Quote