T Moulding all good as new! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2017, 07:07 PM   #1

Name: Tedra
Trailer: Trillium
California
T Moulding all good as new!

We just started restoring our 1974 Trillum which we named Bonnie due to some "bullet holes" on the outside. One thing that was bothering me was the crimping in the T-moulding. After some searching through the site I decided to heat up some water and see what happens... Well to say the least, it went back to normal and looks good as new! So happy.

For anyone wanting to do it all it takes is a big pot with some steaming water. Place the moulding in for 2 minutesClick image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0106.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	106963, remove and dry with a towel. It does stretch too so if there's any spots that weren't touching the ends of the camper, it will now!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0103_1.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	106960Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0108.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	106962
crazyboutatrillium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 09:37 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Sometime down the line, just prepare to duplicate your effort. Heating up and stretching the molding is something folks have done for years... lots of information about it in the archives.

Glad it's working for you
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 10:44 PM   #3

Name: Melody
Trailer: Beachcomber
Alberta
Registry
Awesome! I haven't found that info in the archives. I have some really crimped on the sides of the kitchen counter. The front is perfect...could I steam the sides so I don't have to rip all of it off? Did you glue it back up?
Melody beachcomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 07:52 AM   #4

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody beachcomber View Post
Awesome! I haven't found that info in the archives. I have some really crimped on the sides of the kitchen counter. The front is perfect...could I steam the sides so I don't have to rip all of it off? Did you glue it back up?

I am unsure if a steamer would do the job, I have heard people cleaning their materials inside with a steamer but didn't see anything on if it improved ripples out of the moulding while doing it.

I didn't glue it because I figured that it'd compromise the moulding by not giving enough shrinking room if it decides to crimp up again which could lead it to possible cracking of the moulding its self. I just chalked it up to being a maintenance chore and know I'm willing to fix the moulding anytime it comes back up.
Old 06-04-2017, 04:40 PM   #5

Name: Randy J.
Ontario
I'll try that. I've also had fairly good results when I've had small lengths down just rubbing it vigorously with my hands or using a hair dryer. This may be on the site somewhere too but has anyone found a source for replacement T molding?
Randy J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 05:37 PM   #6

Name: Danny
Trailer: Boler
New Brunswick
Randy J, you can purchase t-moulding from trilliumtrailers.com, I got a quote for a complete set for $160, including shipping.
Danny
Danny and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 07:19 PM   #7

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny and Rhonda View Post
Randy J, you can purchase t-moulding from trilliumtrailers.com, I got a quote for a complete set for $160, including shipping.
Danny
If you were thinking of Tom at trilliumrv.com
He does not have access to it any more. His website currently says the T-moulding is not available

I think Paul Neumeister has a suitable replacement. I've tried a small piece and it fits the plastic channel in the Trillium.
Fibreglass RV Parts, Repairs, and Service by Paul Neumeister
Best to telephone him.

He usually brings a couple of spools of it with him to the Ontario bolerama in mid July. That and a bunch of other frequently requested parts.

If you are going to replace all of it Randy, Please keep me in mind for the old stuff you take out. I'm thinking that replacing the 1 or 2 pieces I need with old stuff should be a better colour match due to aging.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 08:33 PM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Registry
Steaming will work, or using a heat gun. Slight stretching is fine, but don't overstretch, otherwise it will spring up again. I have been doing this for years.
Jim Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 08:39 PM   #9

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Thor View Post
Steaming will work, or using a heat gun. Slight stretching is fine, but don't overstretch, otherwise it will spring up again. I have been doing this for years.
If I over stretched one piece, what should I expect? We were debating cutting it but should I just wait for it to bounce back (luckily it is covered by a curtain for now)
Old 06-04-2017, 09:35 PM   #10

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyboutatrillium View Post
If I over stretched one piece, what should I expect? We were debating cutting it but should I just wait for it to bounce back (luckily it is covered by a curtain for now)
Don't cut it. It will eventually contract in size over time and then you would be too short once again.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 10:25 PM   #11

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Thor View Post

Yay! Will have to try it this weekend.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:24 AM   #12

Name: Tim
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
How or what did you used to reattach it to the ceiling?
TimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 07:36 AM   #13

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimR View Post
How or what did you used to reattach it to the ceiling?
I just popped the T-mouldings back into their original grooves. You'll hear an audible clipping sound when they go in and then just follow the whole strand to the end.

Some places were harder to clip back in than others such as around the table and around the dinette but they all did end up going in.

One user confirmed that a steamer would work in straightening the grooves which would be a bit easier for maintenance so I'm going to watch how long it takes for the moulding to shrink and crimp again and maybe invest in a steamer for touch ups when needed.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:35 AM   #14

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyboutatrillium View Post
I just popped the T-mouldings back into their original grooves. You'll hear an audible clipping sound when they go in and then just follow the whole strand to the end.

Some places were harder to clip back in than others such as around the table and around the dinette but they all did end up going in.

One user confirmed that a steamer would work in straightening the grooves which would be a bit easier for maintenance so I'm going to watch how long it takes for the moulding to shrink and crimp again and maybe invest in a steamer for touch ups when needed.
I'll try to remember to take before and after pics around my counter and post. I have a little shark steamer that I'm going to use.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:00 PM   #15

Alberta
Registry
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1114.JPG
Views:	6
Size:	350.8 KB
ID:	107272

My moulding was so warped, the steam method didn't cut the mustard. While doing that, I discovered that the counter moulding comes off easily. So tried the full method, immersing it, and it worked! Not good as new, but very decent. But it's been like that for God knows how many years. Hope it lasts for a bit. Good to know it's quick and easy to do again though.

BTW, I'm having a terrible time trying to re-attach the seam moulding on the ensolite. Trying to use liquid nails but on the curves, even pressing for 10 minutes doesn't hold it. Any other ideas? Bought some 10 second Gorilla glue to try to ad to the critical points.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:11 AM   #16

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Melody, this is my biggest worry...getting it back in, and OMG what happends if the plastic groove breaks while taking it out on my 79 Boler.
I looked at the ends and it looks like it could be quite a chore in the corners to get it to stay....
Does the molding get more pliable after steaming it,? because it is kind of stiff in it's present condition and as said the tight corners may be a problem.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 07:15 AM   #17

Alberta
Registry
Do you mean the ensolite moulding or rubber moulding? I've only got the rubber/vinyl around the counter which does get quite a bit more pliable when immersing in steaming water. I didn't find using a steamer made much difference in softening mine up. I don't have a plastic track in either area. The counter moulding has the "T" that fits into the groove in the counter.